New Head coach - Aaron Mauger!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Head coach - Aaaron Mauger!!!!

Post by wormus »

Well, there is, as they say, always one. I was hoping for Daryl Gibson. But probably more out of sentiment as he was robbed of his chance when Lofreda came and announced that he did his own backs coaching.

Darryl Gibson is after the Head Coach's job at Sydney's Waratahs as he is one of the Assistant Coaches at present. see attached.
http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25 ... 95,00.html
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Do I detect some approval and a note of optimism on the forum? :smt023
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Hinckley Bob wrote:Do I detect some approval and a note of optimism on the forum? :smt023
It won't last, just wait until the first defeat under Mauger, the knives will be out for the coaches as per normal.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: New Head coach

Post by DickyP »

KUSADASI TIGER wrote:Re: New Head coach

KUSADASI TIGER wrote:
Confirmed here
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leice ... story.html

Correct link http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Aaron ... story.html

The link was correct at time of posting as i was on the page :smt003
In that case why didn't you guess they were going to change it?! Just don't make psychics like they used to. :smt003
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Fantastic news... but... if you look at his comments on the Crusaders web site http://crusaders.co.nz/news/740-mauger- ... gby-season
he is already saying he would love to return to NZ and coach there long term. If so, the board need to give him a Lancasteresk contract for a lot longer than 3 years.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

We can cross that bridge as and when Nailsworth - I'd imagine he has ambitions on being an ABs coach sooner or later and you can't begrudge a man that dream (it's not much different to, say, a player coming to further their international ambitions).

3 years is long enough for us to see some benefit from him and when the time comes we can promote/bring someone in/retain him as and when.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Nailsworthstiger"]Fantastic news... but... if you look at his comments on the Crusaders web site http://crusaders.co.nz/news/740-mauger- ... gby-season
he is already saying he would love to return to NZ and coach there long term. If so, the board need to give him a Lancasteresk contract for a lot longer than 3 years.[/quote]

I really hope he doesn't mirror him, but I think you might have countered your arguement with the Lancaster reference.
Not wanting to get too ahead of ourselves, but if he is as successful as we all think he might be, then it's not unnatural for him to want to further his ambitions. Who knows what might be available 3 years down the line?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:Fantastic news... but... if you look at his comments on the Crusaders web site http://crusaders.co.nz/news/740-mauger- ... gby-season
he is already saying he would love to return to NZ and coach there long term. If so, the board need to give him a Lancasteresk contract for a lot longer than 3 years.
Not a surprise he is only 33, prob has eyes on a HC position in Super rugby down the line with the view of pushing for the All Blacks Job at 43-45, Which isn't a bad thing as he will have to show he can produce as a Head coach.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him if all works out being here till 39-40, then moving to Super rugby, by which time we will know if Murphy could take over and coulde bring in another young coach from outside to help with the backs.

He prob has eyes on being Crusaders coach down the line Todd Blackadder is 43 who himself will prob want to be in an international position in 6 years time.

He is a NZ legend and considered to be one of the top 12 in All black history, of course he will want to be going back there as a top Head coach sometime.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I think the news he's coming is great - I've been reading reports on his coaching in NZ which seem to add-up to what we're looking for.

I do, however, have one worry: speed of transmogrification! Given that Matt O'Connor was a target of sustained criticism on this forum when he was here, but has been beatified since leaving, I just wonder how long it'll be before AM becomes the worst thing to happen to Tigers?

Good job we're just a forum and not important to the running of Tigers. :smt001
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Let's hope that this appointment has been made using common sense and not sentimentality, but from what I can remember about Mauger, is that he always gave 100% and was never a quitter.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

DickyP wrote:I think the news he's coming is great - I've been reading reports on his coaching in NZ which seem to add-up to what we're looking for.

I do, however, have one worry: speed of transmogrification! Given that Matt O'Connor was a target of sustained criticism on this forum when he was here, but has been beatified since leaving, I just wonder how long it'll be before AM becomes the worst thing to happen to Tigers?

Good job we're just a forum and not important to the running of Tigers. :smt001
Mauger has the added benefit of being both a outside influence, an high rated All Black player, and was brilliant for Tigers both in playing and his influence off the pitch.

all these will give him more give imo when it comes to fans.
Noddy555 wrote:Let's hope that this appointment has been made using common sense and not sentimentality, but from what I can remember about Mauger, is that he always gave 100% and was never a quitter.
Should watch some of the Crusaders backs play the past couple of seasons, he certainly has the ability.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Head coach - Aaron Mauger!!!!

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am praying for Israel Dagg!! But what a boost for the whole squad to know that Mauger is coming. Shows that Cockers is not too proud and is astute enough to realise we need new impetus.
Very happy...Mrs Flashman, after a visit to google images also described him as a "dish" and is that "Dan Carter coming next?"...
There is never any points for 2nd place...