Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

leybournetiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Eng 28- SA 32

Post by leybournetiger »

jonlin wrote:
Slancaster must condom this behavior ...

I'm not entirely sure what this means but it makes me nervous

Biffer....hilarious :smt050 :smt050
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Sajerj wrote:
G.K wrote:
Sajerj wrote:Three yellow cards in sixty appearances does not constitute a liability, particularly if the key part of your game is top class.

Matfield, Habana, and Burger have seventeen international yellow cards between them. Michael Hooper has received five international yellow cards in forty games. Our own legend Castro has received four international yellow cards.

Perspective please.
I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. He's been unavailable for selection several times due to similar offences at Premiership level but apart from that it's also the nature of the offences for the cards he's received.
Really ? In the six years since he was first cap when has Hartley missed an England game through suspension ? I don't think he ever has ?
He would more than likely have been in the squad that toured New Zealand had he not been banned for 26 weeks for gouging.

So two summer tours if you include the Lions. How many yellow cards has he had in an England jersey?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Suspended for eight weeks after biting a finger of Ireland forward Stephen Ferris during a Six Nations match at Twickenham in March 2012

Yellow carded against SA in Port Elizabeth in June 2012
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sajerj wrote:I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. He's been unavailable for selection several times due to similar offences at Premiership level but apart from that it's also the nature of the offences for the cards he's received.
Really ? In the six years since he was first cap when has Hartley missed an England game through suspension ? I don't think he ever has ?[/quote]

Hartley has also become infamous for his lack of control on the pitch and has been suspended from the game four times for acts of indiscipline. In April 2007 Hartley was banned for 26 weeks for eye-gouging Wasps forwards James Haskell and Jonny O'Connor. Hartley worked with sports psychiatrist Steve Peters. He was banned again in March 2012 for 8 weeks for biting Ireland forward Stephen Ferris in a Six Nations match. Then in December 2012 he was banned for two weeks for punching Ulster hooker Rory Best in a Heineken Cup match. In May 2013 Hartley was sent off in the Aviva Premiership final and banned for 11 weeks after being found guilty of verbally abusing a match official.This final act cost Hartley his place in the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour to Australia.[/quote]

But no missed England matches due to any suspensions ? Agree ?

Because that is the point of the discussion.[/quote]

Were England not playing during the summer of the Lions tour?
He may well have been a possible for the Lions but you could argue that he was unavailable for England too because of his suspension!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

sapajo wrote:Suspended for eight weeks after biting a finger of Ireland forward Stephen Ferris during a Six Nations match at Twickenham in March 2012
I must say, as a critic of Hartley's playing style and temperament, I think bringing this up is unfair on him. Yes it was a ban but what an injustice. As far as I'm concerned, biting someone who is fish hooking you isn't a matter of temperament but self-preservation and reflex.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

mol2 wrote:
Sajerj wrote:I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. He's been unavailable for selection several times due to similar offences at Premiership level but apart from that it's also the nature of the offences for the cards he's received.
Really ? In the six years since he was first cap when has Hartley missed an England game through suspension ? I don't think he ever has ?
Hartley has also become infamous for his lack of control on the pitch and has been suspended from the game four times for acts of indiscipline. In April 2007 Hartley was banned for 26 weeks for eye-gouging Wasps forwards James Haskell and Jonny O'Connor. Hartley worked with sports psychiatrist Steve Peters. He was banned again in March 2012 for 8 weeks for biting Ireland forward Stephen Ferris in a Six Nations match. Then in December 2012 he was banned for two weeks for punching Ulster hooker Rory Best in a Heineken Cup match. In May 2013 Hartley was sent off in the Aviva Premiership final and banned for 11 weeks after being found guilty of verbally abusing a match official.This final act cost Hartley his place in the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour to Australia.[/quote]

But no missed England matches due to any suspensions ? Agree ?

Because that is the point of the discussion.[/quote]

Were England not playing during the summer of the Lions tour?
He may well have been a possible for the Lions but you could argue that he was unavailable for England too because of his suspension![/quote]

We'll you could argue it if you wanted to make something up, yes. He was selected for the Lions and missed that tour. He was not going to Argentina.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
sapajo wrote:Suspended for eight weeks after biting a finger of Ireland forward Stephen Ferris during a Six Nations match at Twickenham in March 2012
I must say, as a critic of Hartley's playing style and temperament, I think bringing this up is unfair on him. Yes it was a ban but what an injustice. As far as I'm concerned, biting someone who is fish hooking you isn't a matter of temperament but self-preservation and reflex.
I stated a fact and not my personal opinion in reply to a general question about his disciplinary record whilst playing for England.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

biffer wrote: He would more than likely have been in the squad that toured New Zealand had he not been banned for 26 weeks for gouging.

So two summer tours if you include the Lions. How many yellow cards has he had in an England jersey?

Which. New Zealand tour ? I thought he was banned for gouging in 2007. They did not tour New Zealand in 2007 ?

Three yellow cards for England. Not good or bad. Average.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Sajerj wrote:
biffer wrote: He would more than likely have been in the squad that toured New Zealand had he not been banned for 26 weeks for gouging.

Which. New Zealand tour ? I thought he was banned for gouging in 2007. They did not tour New Zealand in 2007 ?

Three yellow cards for England. Not good or bad. Average.

You're right, I got my years mixed up. He missed the tour to SA instead, as England seemed to be casting around looking for a backup for Regan at the time and as Hartley had played for the Saxons earlier in 2007, you could expect him to be in consideration.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Talk about hijacking a thread - over two pages of too-ing and fro-ing about Dim Halfwit. I thought this thread was about England v South Africa.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

This deviation must of course be condomed
Jez

Only Winners Win!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:This deviation must of course be condomed
is that to stop it reproducing?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Exported to France?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

mol2 wrote:
Jeremy Anderson wrote:This deviation must of course be condomed
is that to stop it reproducing?
It's to stop the argument from spilling over...

I'll get me coat
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Could we please stick to the topic of the thread?

if only to avoid more groanworthy jokes!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother