Sarries 23 this week?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Sarries 23 this week?

Post by Darc Tiger »

I though we showed pretty good composure under pressure and battled hard against a very good side. That showed some quality. You aren't going to get sparkling rugby in greasy conditions like that. It all depends on what you expect from the game. I though the boys did well.
TigerLad wrote:Off topic but is the Georgian 6 against Iteland the same one who played for us in the A League? If so is he still at the club?
I think so. Not sure if he is still with us.
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Will happily take 2 points from that game! Impressive from Thacker, Balmain, Bell.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Big Dai wrote: Mr Dallaglio and the BT sport team seem a little one eyed? Poor decision at the end? Dunno.
Would you expect anything else from Dayglo? His comment about Gill pushing straight was risible. Gill is infamous for boring in and with his head outside Balmain's inside shoulder and the scrum moving that way it was a correct decision.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bosch was saved from a red card by the fact that the player was put down on his back, albeit with a drive. He was very lucky!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

McCall and about six of his players surrounded the ref at the end and really laid into him, verbally - GM acted as peacemaker. The offence was right in front of us and none of us could see why they complained - Gill was in at an angle of 45 to 60 degrees and fully deserved to be penalised. Great 'bottle' by OW to slot the 3 pts.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Spicer wrote:
baz1664 wrote:
Spicer wrote:Poor game, nobody stood out really except Benjamin who was very bad today. Really the only positives are our defense was quite solid and Dan Cole came through the game OK. Bell is starting to really put pressure on Tait for the 15 shirt.

Rubbish, in them conditions it was an excellent game, Tigers played well against a strong Sarries team, heart, guts and passion shown throughout.
You thought it was a good game to watch? Tigers were OK in some aspects and I agree they showed heart, they didn't show much quality though. Just one moment of quality from the team or an individual and we would have two more points.
I tend to agree with Spicer I thought Tiger's game management was poor today, that was a game we could and should have won, IMO. I saw at least three opportunities that were wasted:

1. First half - penalty on their 22 and Mele attempts a drop goal that went wide, why not a chip over and go for a try or cross field kick to Scully who is excellent in the air who may have been able to a try by that route?

2. Second half. Thorn steals line out ball around their 10 metre line and two phases later Mele box kicks to no-one. Why oh why with a line out steal didn't we keep ball in hand and attack?

3. Near the end - we're 5 metres from the line, Crane get's the ball and does the only thing he knows how to do, the two step plod and go to ground. I saw it coming and so did Saffas who got the turnover.

Sorry but this was the same old negative game plan from Tigers with too many wasted kicks to their 22, which Goode handled easily. Oh and Benjamin needs to spend all this week with The Smurph and learn how to catch a ball!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

sounds like benjamin didnt have a very good game. it also sounds like the game was scrappy. why do we always kick the ball when we have good attacking posistions
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Spot on GK . We were very negative today - the Mele,Williams,Allen trio did absolutely nothing in attack and whilst I was happy and surprised that we got 2 points it could have been so much better . Crane's stupidity in blowing that chance in front of the posts was unforgiveable - why is he there ? .Thought Thacker did well in that company today , together with Kitch and Thorn .
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Nobody did anything in attack. Both teams defences shut out, Sarries were even more negative than us. Kicked literally everything. Easier to play without the ball today. Sarries just played it a little smarter. We toughed it out.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I was a little worried before the game, but the lads toughed out a tricky one, take some positives from that one with Toulon not too far away.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

mike wrote:Spot on GK . We were very negative today - the Mele,Williams,Allen trio did absolutely nothing in attack and whilst I was happy and surprised that we got 2 points it could have been so much better . Crane's stupidity in blowing that chance in front of the posts was unforgiveable - why is he there ? .Thought Thacker did well in that company today , together with Kitch and Thorn .
We were getting quick ball 5m away from the try line and the forwards were driving well. The ball was like a bar of soap and the backs hadn't shown anything all game. What number 8 in that situation doesn't try to gain that extra couple of metres for his team? The problem wasn't with Crane , it was a good carry, it was with the lack of support. Crane was one of our better players today. As has been said before this is the type of game where it's better to play without the ball . There were some poor kicks but in general I'm not sure what you're expecting in conditions like that.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

One of those frustrating days where we repeatedly ran into a brick wall of white shirts until we dropped the ball or had to kick it. Not that Sarries offered anything in attack. Though their better kicking game was set to win them the match until they made the biggest kicking error. Decent effort and result under the circumstances.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well I thought we would get thumped today so a draw is a good result!!

Spicer is right in that it was not a pleasing game on the eye, but a gutsy performance and about 10 times better than the Scarlets game!!

Yes we did not show much in attack and we do lack pace in the backs, did anyone watch Wasps this pm.....ok it was only v LW but the pace of Daly, Wade and Simpson was incredible, not to mention their young stand off who looked an England 10 in the making!! (and I don't mean Goodey!! :smt003 ).
Soggypitch
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Soggypitch wrote:Yes we did not show much in attack and we do lack pace in the backs, did anyone watch Wasps this pm.....ok it was only v LW but the pace of Daly, Wade and Simpson was incredible, not to mention their young stand off who looked an England 10 in the making!! (and I don't mean Goodey!! :smt003 ).
Our forwards must dominate possession the best backs in the world are useless without any ball.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Tigerbeat wrote:Bosch was saved from a red card by the fact that the player was put down on his back, albeit with a drive. He was very lucky!!
I thought that Bosch was hard done by, he appeared to be trying to bring Scully down, when Strettle decided to flip Scully onto his back.

Could easily gave been two punished, but if only one it relly should have been Strettle IMHO.

Can anyone remember a single maul that didn't result in a penalty for in at the sides against the defending team?

Thought the penalties against Sarries for pulling down at the line out were harsh - the first one was self preservation as the lifters had let the jumper go, and the second was hands behind back and trying to avoid contact but there was some from torso to torso that didn't affect the Tigers jumper at all

At the end Gill was straight in and up - really can't complain at that one