Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

The writing on the wall for Lancaster?

Post by jgriffin »

http://tinyurl.com/lhrfvte

Ooo er vicar. :smt018
What with a couple of journos breaking ranks and SCW acting as gadfly in the Daily Wail, clouds are gathering in the clear blue sky of the Lancaster revolution.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: The writing on the wall for Lancaster?

Post by Soggypitch »

You wish JG!!

It would be a miracle if there weren't a few dissenting voices, the fact is SL's selections on the whole have been good.....yes we will all have some disagreements, that's sport, but in general the current coaching team is doing a good job.

They can't legislate for such a poor 2nd half performance as last Saturday's, the players have to take most responsibility and hopefully they will this week!!

Come on England!!!
Soggypitch
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Now, I could be wrong JG, but you don't seem to like that Mr Lancaster chap. Now be fair, he is making sure that Mr Farrell's lad gets a good go and England are lulling the rest of the world into the belief that we don't stand a chance next year - but we know different don't we? We do, don't we??
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Soggypitch wrote:You wish JG!!

It would be a miracle if there weren't a few dissenting voices, the fact is SL's selections on the whole have been good.....yes we will all have some disagreements, that's sport, but in general the current coaching team is doing a good job.

They can't legislate for such a poor 2nd half performance as last Saturday's, the players have to take most responsibility and hopefully they will this week!!

Come on England!!!
I have been dissenting from the start when the RFU chose a man with absolutely no success story behind him, and added two others who were likewise. The only decent England coach is Wig. Saturday was utterly woeful, and his record does not compare with Johnnos.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well Simon Cohen was full of praise for SL on radio Leicester recently, he said SL had an excellent relationship with Cockers and all the premiership DoR's.

I also don't regard a 3 point loss to by far the best team in the world as being woeful, a disappointing 2nd half performance yes, but certainly not woeful overall.

England have also played some brilliant rugby in the last two 6 nations comps, finishing second on points difference only both times. Last year was particularly unlucky being mugged by France so early on.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions about England and SL etc, but I certainly get the impression that some people are actually wishing England ill, just to justify their own entrenched view points.
Perhaps/hopefully I'm wrong about that.....
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm wary of criticising the coach, after all I am a rigorous defender of ours when things go wrong on the pitch. I actually think the malaise with England stems from higher up that Slancaster, he's just a bit of a stool pigeon. I don't agree with some of his selections, but with the EPS system in place it is difficult to chop and change a player or two if the form players are not in the squad.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

jgriffin wrote:...and his record does not compare with Johnnos.

Actually, it compares quite similarly with Johnno's England coaching record.

Johnno's record was P38 W21 D1 L16 (55% winning percentage)
Lancaster's is P31 W18 D1 L12 (58% winning percentage)
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote:I'm wary of criticising the coach, after all I am a rigorous defender of ours when things go wrong on the pitch. I actually think the malaise with England stems from higher up that Slancaster, he's just a bit of a stool pigeon. I don't agree with some of his selections, but with the EPS system in place it is difficult to chop and change a player or two if the form players are not in the squad.
Fair comment TB. I would like to be proven wrong, but unlike others I see a team that hasn't progressed over three years. The players are there and have great spirit too - we have great talent in England. I believe the coaching team to lack the necessary to get us over the line, a bit like Scotland were before Cotter (maybe.....SA will tell us).
What was Johnno's 6N record. tjs10? What was Johnno's longest losing sequence? What was the sequence leading to WC2011. the last 13 matches say? Remember, MJ's tenure is supposed to be an abject failure compared to the wonderful new dawn of Lancaster.
I'm sure you will rise to the challenge. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

tigerburnie wrote:I'm wary of criticising the coach, after all I am a rigorous defender of ours when things go wrong on the pitch. I actually think the malaise with England stems from higher up that Slancaster, he's just a bit of a stool pigeon. I don't agree with some of his selections, but with the EPS system in place it is difficult to chop and change a player or two if the form players are not in the squad.
Actually, in theory that's a problem but it never seems to happen that way. Who are the form players who miss out because of the structure of the EPS?

Because of the nature of the game and the constant injuries, there is ALWAYS room to bring players into the EPS from outside if they are in form. I don't believe that there is any fit player available to Lancaster that he has not been able to pick because of the EPS system.

There is even leeway built in for foreign-based players, but it's pretty clear that Lancaster doesn't really rate the obvious one (Steffon Armitage) anyway.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

4071 wrote:
Actually, in theory that's a problem but it never seems to happen that way. Who are the form players who miss out because of the structure of the EPS?

Because of the nature of the game and the constant injuries, there is ALWAYS room to bring players into the EPS from outside if they are in form. I don't believe that there is any fit player available to Lancaster that he has not been able to pick because of the EPS system.

There is even leeway built in for foreign-based players, but it's pretty clear that Lancaster doesn't really rate the obvious one (Steffon Armitage) anyway.
Actually I seem to remember a couple of occasions in the past when the premiership has agreed to extra flexibility to allow additional changes.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

jgriffin wrote:What was Johnno's 6N record. tjs10? What was Johnno's longest losing sequence? What was the sequence leading to WC2011. the last 13 matches say? Remember, MJ's tenure is supposed to be an abject failure compared to the wonderful new dawn of Lancaster.
I'm sure you will rise to the challenge. :smt004

Johnno's 6N record was P15 W9 D1 L5
Lancaster's 6N record is P15 W12 D0 L3

Johnno's longest losing sequence was 3 games (Aus, SA & NZ) with a net points deficit of -76.
He also had a run of 4 games without a win (Loss to Ireland, draw with Scotland & losses to France & Australia)
Lancaster's longest is 4 games (NZ, NZ, NZ, NZ) with a net points deficit of -32.

Johnno's sequence pre RWC2011 was 2 wins & 1 loss in the warm-ups.
The 14 matches prior to RWC2011 (thereby including the whole of the 2008 Summer tour, not just part of it) was P14 W9 D0 L5 (winning percentage 64%)

As I said, their records are comparable in my opinion.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

tjs10 wrote: Lancaster's longest is 4 games (NZ, NZ, NZ, NZ) with a net points deficit of -32.
Caps were awarded for the match against Barbarians, June 1 2014, England lost 29-39 so Lancaster's current losing sequence is 5 matches, the third worst in the history of English rugby.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

drc_007 wrote:
tjs10 wrote: Lancaster's longest is 4 games (NZ, NZ, NZ, NZ) with a net points deficit of -32.
Caps were awarded for the match against Barbarians, June 1 2014, England lost 29-39 so Lancaster's current losing sequence is 5 matches, the third worst in the history of English rugby.

No they weren't.
England have never awarded caps for games vs Barbarians.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Hence why Kitch (England XV captain vs Barbarians) is still uncapped!
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Plus a 5th straight loss would actually make it the joint 4th worst England losing streak, (not the 3rd) as I believe there have been 3 occasions when England lost 7 straight matches (and a further 4 occasions when we lost 5 in a row).