Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England XV to face All Blacks

Post by biffer »

tigerburnie wrote:
biffer wrote:
baz1664 wrote:I think Ford is abit light weight for the all blacks, his defence is sketchy and the all blacks would target that, Farrell can tackle but the lack of game time may be a big problem for him, Barritt again has been picked for his defence skills as he doesn't offer anything offensively in the international game, England are going to try and make it physical, the problem is when the game breaks up can we handle NZ pace and offloading game.
Yeah, the kiwis would treat Ford like a revolving door.
You going to the Argentina game biffer, I fear Scotland could get embarrased here but a lot will depend on how the coaching team has performed.

I think we'll do ok against the RGs but not guaranteeing a win. I'll be there anyway. We'll get a proper duffing up the following week against the kiwis. However, Cotter a coach with a tremendous track record, I'm very hopeful he can do some good things with the young guys coming through. Could have a very strong team in three or four years.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Hate to be so negative but on paper, this should be a cake walk for the AB's.
My guess is that they'll go through the motions, leaving plenty in the tank if they need to.
Hope I'm wrong!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

I’m not overly hopeful but I take heart in that NZ only beat Australia recently in the last play of the game and that only because Oz kicked possession away in the last minute of the game! And presumably that game should have meant more to them?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Please God, don't let Nigel Owens referee us in the world cup... Or Steve Walsh...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Both Wales and England today showed how it could be done - forward power, setpiece etc. The difference, as I always harp on, is in the latitude the refs give NZ at the breakdown. Having said that, and watching two games at once, Australia got away with persistent offending far more than NZ. And both games had a penalty try!
SCW had the right idea - the platform of warrior forwards - and it is his blueprint that still shows the way.
I still get the feeling that the England coaches don't know how to win.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

How do I not like this referee!

Talk about make it up as we go along!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

NZ win 24-21. Never really threatened and if Cruden and Barrett kicked their goals they would have been out of sight. They didn't look anywhere near top form which is ominous for everyone else. YBY didn't get injured which is the most important thing. I'm not too sure what Owens did that was so bad. England were soundly beaten by the better team. Nigel Owens wasn't responsible for that.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Big Dai wrote:How do I not like this referee!

Talk about make it up as we go along!
Apparently he is a good stand-up comic in Welsh. As my Welsh goes as far as 'Di peint os gwell'ch yn dda' despite a decade in Swansea, I am not in a position to judge. Of the two, he is far preferable to the odious Walsh.
Joubert wasn't too bad at Cardiff but kept missing all sorts of little illegal jollies from the Aussies.
Big question - if you look at Phillips supposed charge-down attempt of Foley's drop, he actually pulls out - someone like Moody would've gone for boot and ball, and possibly succeeded, but - just look at it in slow-mo, he chickens out, almost trying to make it look good?
Last edited by jgriffin on Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

True.........But when you miss forward passes, McCaw on the flaw, sorry floor, it doesn't make it any easier. You are then under pressure from situations that are mistakes and backwards you go. McCaw handling on the floor in front of Owens when England were on the attack was one example...there were others.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

There is nothing wrong with the front 8, its the backs, or lack of tham thats the problem.

Farrell is the main culprit, he really is just a Club player but an International standard kicker.

Bin him, have Ford/ Cipriani at 10, Burgess Burrell Tuilagi in the centres, flying wings and no 15-and then we will have a chance..

But never with Farrell at 10. Never
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerLad wrote:NZ win 24-21. Never really threatened and if Cruden and Barrett kicked their goals they would have been out of sight. They didn't look anywhere near top form which is ominous for everyone else. YBY didn't get injured which is the most important thing. I'm not too sure what Owens did that was so bad. England were soundly beaten by the better team. Nigel Owens wasn't responsible for that.
If Brown could catch on the overlap, If Farrell had kicked a conversion, If Owens had pinged McCaw as he should have when England were on the attack, Si ma tante en avait elle s'appellerait mon oncle!

With a bit more sympathy, no, accuracy from Owens we could have nicked it............undeservedly................but nicked it.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

fortysix wrote:There is nothing wrong with the front 8, its the backs, or lack of tham thats the problem.

Farrell is the main culprit, he really is just a Club player but an International standard kicker.

Bin him, have Ford/ Cipriani at 10, Burgess Burrell Tuilagi in the centres, flying wings and no 15-and then we will have a chance..

But never with Farrell at 10. Never
I thought we were a bit "one two thump"! In the open we stood a chance but from set piece we were a bit deep and just ran into our opposite number. As you say, playmaker required!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Farrell simply has to get the chop, or at least give Ford significant gametime at 10 without a momentum killer like Farrell at 12.
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

Care kicked 6 times at the start of the 2nd half - missed touch once and kicked to them 5 times!! Very poor kicking tactics - just invited NZ to come at us without having to work for the ball - we've got to make the opposition work much harder to get the ball by RWC next year.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Farrell = nepotism, nuff said :smt023