A bit of perspective

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: A bit of perspective

Post by tigerburnie »

There's no easy option here, we can all make lists to suit our own perspective, yes the accademy has produced players we have let go, for various reasons and equally we have retained some stars from that route. But look at the equally long list of people we knew nothing about, who became Tigers greats, Morris,Scully, Mulipola and Steve Mafi come to mind recently. Maybe todays signing along with the likes of Pearce may also prove to be wise moves in the transfer market.We always used to have a mixed policy going back to the late 1960's/early 1970's when I was playing. Tigers were an invitational club and if you looked good enough you might have got a shot in the extras or swifts teams( our 2nd and 3rd teams). I don't recall Tigers having a colts team, so they didn't have a culture of "growing their own" back then. The first XV was always a mixture of a few locals and players who came from all over the country and beyond. Some were internationals and a lot were not. We drew players like Dusty Hare from Nottingham, Les Cusworth from Moseley. Loughborough Students provided Clive Woodward and some of the players like Dean Richards, the Redfern brothers came from local clubs in the county. If you look at todays pro game, little has changed except for the fact that we are likely to see the " one player at one club" for their career, dissapear.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

tigerburnie wrote:But look at the equally long list of people we knew nothing about, who became Tigers greats, Morris,Scully, Mulipola and Steve Mafi come to mind recently.
Steve Mafi certainly does spring to mind. A barely-known young international who came to Tigers, developed well in his first season and then spent an outstanding season in the back row when Croft was out injured.

I'd hesitate to call him a Tigers great, however, when he only spent one or two seasons at that level. Last season he barely featured due to injury and family reasons, spending a lot of time in Australia with the support of the club. He then decided to leave us at a moment's notice in order to play back home in Australia instead.

A player using the club as a springboard, and quickly leaving in order to further his career ambitions is not someone I'd class as a club great.

I suspect Morris will fairly soon follow the example of Johne Murphy and return home to Ireland to try and break into the team. It's the risk we take in bringing relatively unknown players in from outside the country - some will fail and move on, some will succeed and move home. Some will succeed and stay (as Ayerza has done). But not many.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Has this perceived lack of Academy talent happened since Dusty Hare left? Last I heard Stains fans were quite happy with theirs.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

No just a complete coincidence I'm sure. :smt002
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.