Congratulations RWC for ticket farce

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Congratulations RWC for ticket farce

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I applied for 4 tickets to around 8 matches like many keen fans I imagine yet received an email on Saturday to say I had been unsuccessful.

This is whilst disappointing understandable due to the amount of Rugby fans wanting to attend these matches and the number of people we have in this country that want to go to any event to 'have been there'.

What really has upset me is the thousands of tickets already on Viagogo et al for truly extortionate prices...RWC said they would not tolerate touts and yet it seems as per usual the average fan will miss out whilst the rich and people who know people will get to go.

I will add that many clubs (probably like some of yourselves) have got tickets that way which is brilliant but the whole thing is just farcical in essence my plane ticket and game ticket to England v Argentina in Dunedin was cheaper than some tickets to England v Australia...Well played RWC :smt023
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Re: Congratulations RWC for ticket farce

Post by tjs10 »

How do you propose they could have stop ped the touts though?

"Touting" tickets is unfortunately not illegal and never has been (except for football & the 2012 Olympics). The organisers tried to get RWC2015 added to the list but the govt refused. What more could they have done?

Duplicate applications were cancelled where identified and "known" touts were blocked, but obviously some will have found ways around the system and others will have appeared on the scene or not be "known".

There really is only so much that they could have done to stop touts but as it is not illegal the best they can do is to try and identify thos involved and cancel the tickets. That is time-consuming, potentially quite expensive and ultimately won't stop all cases. It also doesn't mean that tickets cancelled & re-sold won't fall into the hands of other touts!

People complain that regular England tickets are only available via clubs & not for "regular" fans, but when the RWC organisers put the tickets on public sale/ballot people then complain that touts get them!

People complain that RWC tickets are over-priced but then every game was oversubscribed in at least one category and many have sold out entirely so clearly the pricing wasn't as crazy as first feared!

Seriously, what COULD the organisers have done differently to stop/limit the touts that they haven't already done?

Incidentally, I got tickets for 2 of the 4 games I applied for. The worst two, but still 50%!

A friend of mine didn't get ANY of the pool games he wanted but did get a pair for the RWC Final!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I do not care for any of your mentioned points because you got tickets and the fact that I have none constitutes the system is a FARCE :smt019 :smt019

Seriously I understand there is little they can do due to the government but at the same time fans of the sport have suffered and those with money will be able to go to the event...suppose its just a fact of life
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I know a Chiefs fan who has a ticket for EVERY England match and EVERY match in the KO stages including the final (he completed the set at the end of last week). Mind you, he has a 'few bob' to spare and corporate contacts........ :smt009
One of his mates, without the corporate contacts, got no tickets at all.
Slight amendment at the request of the lucky bar steward, he has 2 of the quarters, lined up if England get out of their pool.
Quote from his social media:
@rugbyworldcup ticket allocation is out and we are going to the final !! Have all the Eng matches , both quarters , both semis and 3/4 play offs plus Sandy Park and now that completes the set - Come on England !!
Last edited by jgriffin on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I had a quick look on stubhub to see what prices they were going for - not going to purchase through any of these sites, was just interested.

The most notable thing was that there were no tickets available for Sandy Park or Kingsholm. The only two club rugby grounds being used. So, real grounds = real fans?

(Incidentally there didn't seem to be many available for the games at the Crisp Dome either, so we can give ourselves a wee pat on the back too).
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

OK now don't fall about on the floor but the IRB could have stipulated conditions of sale which would at least provided some justification for the law to prosecute touting. It is just a feeding frenzy for money, let's all make money. I shall mostly be watching Tonga and Romania on their training ground.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Isambard wrote:OK now don't fall about on the floor but the IRB could have stipulated conditions of sale which would at least provided some justification for the law to prosecute touting.
I'd be interested to know what those conditions of sale would be as touting (except as mentioned above) is not a prosecutable offence1

The current T&Cs would allow for the tickets to be cancelled/voided if foundf to have been resold but in practical terms this is hard to enforce as how do you identify which have been "touted" & which haven't?

How do you differentiate between "touted" tickets & those that have legitimately been passed on to friends/family etc?
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

I'm off to see the All Blacks v Tonga at St James Park, the only match I applied for. We applied for a wheelchair place which I suppose there may have been less demand for but we were still surprised we got them. Given the volume of applications against the amount available I knew there would be lots disappointed but it's quite unfair that the old boys network who flash the cash are getting them all..
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

hww27 wrote:I'm off to see the All Blacks v Tonga at St James Park, the only match I applied for. We applied for a wheelchair place which I suppose there may have been less demand for but we were still surprised we got them. Given the volume of applications against the amount available I knew there would be lots disappointed but it's quite unfair that the old boys network who flash the cash are getting them all..
My pal really had contacts both at club hierarchy level and corporate. He can attend Sandy Park anyway because of his position. The tickets have been sequestered by organisations with £££ it seems. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

I applied for 5 for ROmania V Canada (only £15, decent value considering tigers wantd £35 for my seat against the Baabaas) and got them. so clearly the system is completely fool-proof :smt002
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Corporate £££s pay for a lot of the game we love though - so scratching backs does result in backs being scratched.

As for me - I'll be at Argentina vs. Tonga and New Zealand vs. Argentina.

The only question now is who do I support?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Its alright when your applying to matches very few want to go to..Especially seeing as a tout can never hope to make money out of that match would probably end up giving them away :smt003
geegee143

Post by geegee143 »

My mate and I both applied for tickets to increase our chances and were lucky enough to be allocated a few, unfortuneatly we both got allocated the same tickets !!
I have therefore 2 x Cat B tickets for England v Australia and was looking for a swap for two tickets for the Wales game.
Also 2 x Cat B tickets for QF 1 willing to swap for any Semi.
With cash adjustment either way on both, if anyone has them.
My condolences to any real Rugby fan that didn't get tickets but I am not looking to sell these so please dont ask.
Anyone who can help out please email me. Many Thanks
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

JackFlashJonny wrote:it seems as per usual the average fan will miss out whilst the rich and people who know people will get to go
You can be sure that many of those tickets on the online auction sites are put on there by average fans who were fairly allocated these tickets and are looking for a quick buck. The allocation system was in my opinion very well thought out and fair towards all applicants under the circumstances. Calling it a farce seems ludicrous as the RWC ticket allocation system was totally transparent from the start.

I know plenty of ordinary members of Joe Public who have great tickets.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Look...........................I think the guy needs help but there's no need to blame Richard Cockerill for the world cup ticket crisis!

Ah R W C!

I'll get me coat!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"