Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

So when we loose its the same old thing... Cockers has to go.

I've not seen tonight's game and was mortified when I got home to see the result. After reading the game thread the usual story is it's Cockers fault but most posters are saying that elementary faults were made by the players.

How can a coach be responsible for players inept ability? Is it that our rose coloured spectacles think our players are so superior to everyone else that we have a right to win every game we play?

We have a horrendous injury list. Our replacements are obviously not up to the task of competing at the highest level but yet its Cockers fault. For gods sake give it a rest!

But for every one else... put your words where your mouth is... who is better equipped at running this joint and getting us back to the top?

I await your comments :smt001
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???

Post by Big Dai »

I think "Something has to change" is different to "Cockers has to go". It's not the losses that upset many on here, but the manner of defeat, the inflexibility of the tactics. Scarlets had a horrendous injury problem DURING THE GAME but out shone a ragged Tigers outfit for sheer guts and get go.

I don't know who replaces him, if indeed that is deemed to be the answer. I don't know who would come in alongside him, if that is going to be the case. HOWEVER the coaching structure and player management should come in for an examination and a wire brushing.........It's not a club any more, more's the pity, it's a business. A business performing as we are, compared to our peers, is one that's a least standing still.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It's all gone quiet! What a surprise!

I would have thought that the people that were arguing last night that "Cockerill must go" would have given us a few names to replace him but no, there is nothing!
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Aaron Mauger
Daryl Gibson
Martin Johnson
Nick Mallet
John Kirwan
Jake White
Pat Howard
etc

All very viable options. Sadly I don't think many of any would work with Richard Cockerill
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

And since you obviously want specifics.

My choice would be Aaron Mauger. As well as being a fantastic player he had the ability of bringing out the best in players around him, ask Sam Vesty, Remember the night he skippered, played out of position at fly-half, and we beat the then World Champion Springboks, a night never to be forgotten unlike last night!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

So do you want Mauger as DOR or head coach working with Cockerill as DOR or Mauger as Head coach with no DOR?
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Unless I'm mistaken with the departure of Matt O'Connor. Cockerill is now both DOR and Head Coach.

If not he certainly has a major coaching role with the forwards. So I would give Aaron Mauger the role or roles necessary.

My point is I get very frustrated by this type of thread, implying there are not options. I also get frustrated by people who post that RC didn't drop the ball, kick badly etc, i ask the question why are the players we had out there last night playing so badly. When faced with a game plan like that of the Scarlets why do good players suddenly appear to be rabbits in the headlights totally clueless, why doesn't the plan change? last night the referee was pathetic allowing Scarlets to get away with murder both on and off the ball. But as they say its the same for both teams why were we not able to deal with it. How many times did Geordan Murphy come on to the pitch what messages were being relayed to the team?

Admitted Richard Cockerill wasn't playing but I didn't see anything to suggest that our DOR could see the problems that we all could and identify a solution.
Ian S
Tiger Cub

Post by Ian S »

It's not our job to select a new Coach/DOR,neither do we know who will be available at the end of the season which will surely be the time when a change is made belatedly, however not having a name that immediately springs to mind is not a particularly strong argument for keeping an under performing DOR who cannot live forever on past glories.Whether we like it or not it is a results driven business and they have not been good enough for far too long,the manner of many defeats is more worrying than anything.
So a question to you, when is enough enough, or does blind faith continue forever.Another poor season with no trophies? Or another season after this etc.
I look forward to a response or will the silence be deafening
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

So it's not your job to pick a new DOR but you can decide when the current one should be sacked? :smt017

The time to relieve any DOR from their position is at the end of the season when they sit down with the board to discuss how the season went and if the targets that were set at the start of the season were achieved. At a very minimum, a DOR could be relieved from their job once the targets are impossible to achieve, for example if we get to March and we are out of Europe and mathematically cannot make it into the top 4, then I would agree that it is time to go.
Last edited by ellis9 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Someone who can turn the Tigers around just as Malinder and co plus King have done and are doing down the road.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Funny that! If you want to compare us to Saints then you would have been shouting from the roof tops that you want Mallinder sacked. How many seasons did it take him to win anything meaningful? eg Premiership or Heineken Cup. Oh yes, they have only won the league once in his 7 YEARS as coach.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerCam wrote:Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???

Someone who can turn the Tigers around just as Malinder and co plus King have done and are doing down the road.
Like!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Ian S wrote:It's not our job to select a new Coach/DOR,neither do we know who will be available at the end of the season which will surely be the time when a change is made belatedly, however not having a name that immediately springs to mind is not a particularly strong argument for keeping an under performing DOR who cannot live forever on past glories.Whether we like it or not it is a results driven business and they have not been good enough for far too long,the manner of many defeats is more worrying than anything.
So a question to you, when is enough enough, or does blind faith continue forever.Another poor season with no trophies? Or another season after this etc.
I look forward to a response or will the silence be deafening
So his 'past glories' being only 18 months ago counts for nothing? You're acting like it was 10 years ago. You're logic seems to be if we don't win the league Cockers should be sacked? You can't just spout vague criticisms like "they have not been good enough for far too long". How long is this imaginary time frame you've constructed? If last season was "poor" and we still finished 3rd (the first time Cockers finished outside top 2) and only lost to the champions away with injurys by one point ,does that not say more about what an incredible job Cockers has done that we would consider it a poor season? The season before that we were champions so I fail to see what you're point is. The point when he would be sacked would be if we finished outside the top 4 and a world class coach was available.
Ian S
Tiger Cub

Post by Ian S »

I don't recall saying previous seasons counted for nothing but just put words in my mouth if it suits your argument.However last season was poor and this season is heading in the wrong direction but not to worry if we finish 6/7 position Cockerill can stay because there is not World Class coach available,who decides who is a World Class Coach by the way? and how do you become a World Class coach if not given an opportunity at a top club/country so why do we need someone that fits your criteria.I also presume that you don't think Cockerill is World Class either then?
Maybe I am being naive but Europe is Key to a club of our stature and we have hardly pulled up any trees in this area recently but that will be all down to injuries as well I suppose.If you think yesterday was even remotely acceptable you clearly have a different level of expectations to a lot of Tigers fans but then again we had injuries and it was not a decent side we had out (sarcasm) and Scarlets have a great recent record at home in Europe (have a look) and of course they had no injuries to contend with.! It is hardly surprising people are questioning what is happening .
I agree that all things considered the end of the season is the time for change but I am guessing you believe we should approach Coaches over their availability before getting rid of Cockerill should we be outside the top 4.Not really the way to do things.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Ian S, is it really fair to sack a coach who has been deprived of players of the calibre of Cole, T. Youngs, Parling, Slater, Croft, Manu, Matera and Morris, I think not.
Allen only returned last night and Ayerza has been away with Argentina.
All the above are international players.
Regardless of what people think about playing style or basic skill levels, something that we all have our own opinions on, I believe it would be in bad taste to sack an individual given just how bad the situation has been.
As mentioned before I would like to see a few more players given more opportunities such as Harrison, but then what if he got injured and Ben Youngs goes off with England, then we could be in real trouble in that position.
Similar happened to Leicester last season, others are also suffering a little because of injuries, whether you like him or not to blame an individual and put him out of his job though is not how things should be done.
Cheery chappy