Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???

Post by tigercaspian »

Big Dai I think touched on the fact that as well as being a sports club, Tigers is a business. Any business will set itself and its senior management targets for the coming year/season and then judge its success or failure against those targets.
I would be highly surprised if a top 4 finish and getting out of our Euro Champions pool were not amongst them, ie create the opportunity to win something.And if RC and his team don't create those opportunities then, yes, there may be appetite on the Board to change things.
Equally well, any business would recognise mitigating factors and our injury list cannot be forgotten in this context. If my sales people all crash their cars and are off work for six months, my company's ability to sell its services diminishes too. If we as a club lose half a dozen star players for months at a time, our ability to win and stay up the leagues does the same. The only way the Club might think differently is if the Board come to the conclusion that our training in some way has contributed to all these injuries and if they have advised the DoR to think about changing his methods to avoid those injuries. Mind you, since a number of the Board are ex Tigers players who are well used to what goes on at Tigers training, this is highly unlikely !
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Big Dai wrote:...If you look at out European performances we've slipped from finalists / semi finalist material to quarterfinal outsiders to alsorans in the group. We're about at the same stage on the loop as we were when Deano "left"....
So Big Dai, due to Leicester Tigers underperforming in Europe you've given up on them and gone to support a Welsh side? Just let me try and get my head around that.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

h's dad wrote:
Big Dai wrote:...If you look at out European performances we've slipped from finalists / semi finalist material to quarterfinal outsiders to alsorans in the group. We're about at the same stage on the loop as we were when Deano "left"....
So Big Dai, due to Leicester Tigers underperforming in Europe you've given up on them and gone to support a Welsh side? Just let me try and get my head around that.
Huh! You try and have a quiet pint of Felin down the "one eyed turk" after Tiger's shambolic performance. "A Tiger can't change his spots!" according to Ted Eighteen-months, drunk of this parish and probably a couple of others. Called 18 months because he has one and a half (y)ears having lost the top half of his right one "In a scrum somewhere".

Yes the toys came out of the pram big style butt! A real Mardy on. You can go to another ground, you can drink the beer and watch the game..........but you can't give Tigers up.............not forever, not completely. I may as well try and give up Remy.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Noddy555 wrote:Nailsworth Tiger It is not a question of who we want in charge that's the question for the club's directors. As you know the mega bucks in this game come from sponsors, if they feel say that the possibility of not finishing in the top six and qualifying for the Champions cup would lessen their exposure at the top of the game, notwithstanding or discounting the challenge cup, then they might walk and if a major sponsor walks away from a club they are very difficult to replace.
Noddy, the reason I posted the question is to see what the response was from all those who at the first chance bang on about changing our DOR. As it is, only Crumblies has put in a selection of possibilities of who he may consider worthy of the post. And yes it is only up to the Directors to decide but as this is an open forum for us supporters to air our views, we have the opportunity to debate the issue.

Personally I think RC has done a good job, his record is better than Jim Mallender, Mark McCall, et al and to suggest he gets the bullet because we are not winning during the season is the wrong direction to take. When Cockers took the job, he was untried at this level albeit as a short term temp in charge. The names Crumblies has put in the mix are also relatively untried or not in the equation. So why would the Directors wish to replace him with another untried coach (as I am not aware there are many top quality coaches out of work at the moment) with no guarantee of improvement.

My belief is if this horrendous injury list subsides when there is a blue moon and the pigs are flying, then we will return to former glory. Until then I can't see it happening as other clubs have a better squad at the present time. As for Europe, there is only one team who will win the cup IMO and we will be up against them December!
chelmsfordtiger

Post by chelmsfordtiger »

If you look for a sporting parallel, this feels similar to the demise of Manchester Untied. Biggest business in its field, failed to move with the times (complacency, arrogance?), got away with it for longer than most (due to aforementioned size), but eventually found out (and some!). My view is that, on the field, we are way off the pace and that others have leapt ahead of us in most aspects. It will come good again, of course it will. But it will take considerable change and a number of years. Not doom and gloom, just a considered view on the situation......
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

chelmsfordtiger wrote:If you look for a sporting parallel, this feels similar to the demise of Manchester Untied. Biggest business in its field, failed to move with the times (complacency, arrogance?), got away with it for longer than most (due to aforementioned size), but eventually found out (and some!). My view is that, on the field, we are way off the pace and that others have leapt ahead of us in most aspects. It will come good again, of course it will. But it will take considerable change and a number of years. Not doom and gloom, just a considered view on the situation......
I would ask you what evidence you have to suggest that we are 'way off the pace' and others have 'leapt ahead of us in most aspects'

I would be willing to agree with you if you were comparing like for like. I believe we have a very strong squad but when 50% of it is out injured( and some very key players to our style) then performances are bound to be below par. Would it not be better to judge where we are when we have the majority of our squad available and up to match speed.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Would it not be better to judge where we are when we have the majority of our squad available and up to match speed.
We have waited for at least the last two seasons for this and only time will tell if it will happen anytime soon :smt010
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

sapajo wrote:
Doghashadhisday wrote: Would it not be better to judge where we are when we have the majority of our squad available and up to match speed.
We have waited for at least the last two seasons for this and only time will tell if it will happen anytime soon :smt010
Last season we failed to get to the final for the first time in a decade, where does this "two seasons" bit come from?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

ellis9 wrote:With an average gate of 21,443 this season in all competitions, I wouldn't say the crowds are staying away!
Well I beg to differ - the home tie against Ulster was probably the smallest crowd I've seen at Tigers for years excluding friendly games.
A European Cup game with great swathes of the stands empty.
Those of us there created a great atmosphere - to which the Ulster fans contributed.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Nailsworth you seem to have got it in a nutshell and then miss the point entirely, my contention is that although the players may be physically fit at the start of each match,(one presumes so or why on earth are they picked) they
don't seem to be on the ball mentally this season apart from the Ulster match.
We always seem to be playing catch up in the second half, and who is responsible for their mental attitude? Yes you've got it the Director of Rugby, now whats he called.... er oh yes Richard Cockerill. To gain my respect he would have to stand up and take that much maligned word RESPONSABILITY for his actions.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Good comparison with Man Utd. Complacency, arrogance, poor retention of star players,obsession with the commercial side.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

mol2 wrote:
ellis9 wrote:With an average gate of 21,443 this season in all competitions, I wouldn't say the crowds are staying away!
Well I beg to differ - the home tie against Ulster was probably the smallest crowd I've seen at Tigers for years excluding friendly games.
A European Cup game with great swathes of the stands empty.
Those of us there created a great atmosphere - to which the Ulster fans contributed.
The attendance was quoted as 21,443 but that was the figure which is all sold tickets, the actual attendance was something nearer to 17,000. quite poor for such a fixture
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

For those who don't understand what I mean when I say average attendance, it is all of the home league and Champions Cup games so far this season. You add all of the attendances together and then divide it by how many home games there have been. This then gives you an average attendance. I did not mention how many were at the Ulster game.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Size of crowds has been mentioned? We need to keep them up to preserve a business case for top class rugby? To what extent are the shenanigans down the other end of the M69 going to affect things?

A team with a more attractive style of rugby? (say?)
Better access for parking?
Closer for some?
A couple of Ex-Tigers playing?

It's not a playing threat (or is it?) but it must be a threat to Tigers as a business if the quality of the product Tigers has on the market "ceases to appeal" and Wasps produce a better package?

OK mischievous and tongue in cheek, but the public is fickle. Not, of course the Tigers fan who will stay with his team no matter what the standard of rugby turns out on the pitch, but the bloke who just wants to see a good game?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

ellis9 wrote:For those who don't understand what I mean when I say average attendance, it is all of the home league and Champions Cup games so far this season. You add all of the attendances together and then divide it by how many home games there have been. This then gives you an average attendance. I did not mention how many were at the Ulster game.
I used the Ulster game as an example (Cup ties are usually rammed with all tickets sold) but the same could be applied to all of our home games this season - a lot more empty seats visible. The figures from Tigers include season ticket sales - even if the ticket holder doesn't attend. If season ticket holders don't turn up then there is a real risk they won't renew next season.