Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???

Post by RagingBull »

Crumblies wrote:Aaron Mauger - Not ready for DOr stuff.
Daryl Gibson - Not ready for DOr stuff.
Martin Johnson - Not to keen on that TBH.
Nick Mallet - Maybe but not sure.
John Kirwan - No
Jake White - NO,NO,NO,No
Pat Howard - What is he doing now?
etc

All very viable options. Sadly I don't think many of any would work with Richard Cockerill
Personally I don't think we need a new DOR.

But there are plenty of ex Tigers about in coaching that could be handy my favourite 3 that would come in as a asstant coaching are:

Mauger - Assistant Backs Coach at Canterbury
Jamie Hamilton - Performance Analyst at Canterbury (would think that would be a very good move imo.
Daryl Gibson - Assistant Coach Waratahs.

Personally if Burke was to say look to Ireland I wouldn't mind seeing either Mauger or Gibson come in, Would prefer Gibson looking at the Waratahs website on him His expertise is attack and continuity around the ruck and it didn’t take long for it to rub off on the Waratahs. In his first season, the Waratahs had more offloads and ran for more metres than any team in Super Rugby, were number two in linebreaks and kicked the ball less than anyone in the competition.

Also would think it would be a smart move to bring in Jamie Hamilton as well as we don't seem to have a performance Analyst in the coaching staff (going of the website).

I think Burke was a good move although it wasn't yesterday the D structure was really good against Quins and Ulster and I think 3 weeks with the squad as it is will be a big boost.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

However last season was poor and this season is heading in the wrong direction but not to worry if we finish 6/7 position Cockerill can stay because there is not World Class coach available,who decides who is a World Class Coach by the way?
I actually believe that if we finish in that position then that maybe a good reason to employ a new DOR.

See my earlier post where I said:
The time to relieve any DOR from their position is at the end of the season when they sit down with the board to discuss how the season went and if the targets that were set at the start of the season were achieved. At a very minimum, a DOR could be relieved from their job once the targets are impossible to achieve, for example if we get to March and we are out of Europe and mathematically cannot make it into the top 4, then I would agree that it is time to go.

I will ask again, who would you put in charge and what would you say to Cockerill if you were the person to sack him?
Ian S
Tiger Cub

Post by Ian S »

ellis9 wrote:
However last season was poor and this season is heading in the wrong direction but not to worry if we finish 6/7 position Cockerill can stay because there is not World Class coach available,who decides who is a World Class Coach by the way?
I actually believe that if we finish in that position then that maybe a good reason to employ a new DOR.

See my earlier post where I said:
The time to relieve any DOR from their position is at the end of the season when they sit down with the board to discuss how the season went and if the targets that were set at the start of the season were achieved. At a very minimum, a DOR could be relieved from their job once the targets are impossible to achieve, for example if we get to March and we are out of Europe and mathematically cannot make it into the top 4, then I would agree that it is time to go.

I will ask again, who would you put in charge and what would you say to Cockerill if you were the person to sack him?
Please read the first paragraph of my first post, it's not difficult.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Almost 24 hours after "Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???" was asked we have 1 person respond with a few names. I am amazed as I am sure there was more than 1 person who said they want Cockerill sacked.

With the list of names that has been mentioned, what DOR attributes do they have that are better than Cockerill's?

Are either of these questions actually going to be answered properly? I very much doubt it!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ellis9 wrote:Almost 24 hours after "Who exactly do you Doom Mongers want in charge???" was asked we have 1 person respond with a few names. I am amazed as I am sure there was more than 1 person who said they want Cockerill sacked.

With the list of names that has been mentioned, what DOR attributes do they have that are better than Cockerill's?

Are either of these questions actually going to be answered properly? I very much doubt it!
Oh............so it's a vote is it?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Please read the first paragraph of my first post, it's not difficult.
I presume you mean this:
It's not our job to select a new Coach/DOR,neither do we know who will be available at the end of the season which will surely be the time when a change is made belatedly, however not having a name that immediately springs to mind is not a particularly strong argument for keeping an under performing DOR who cannot live forever on past glories.Whether we like it or not it is a results driven business and they have not been good enough for far too long,the manner of many defeats is more worrying than anything.
The results have not been good enough for far too long. How long do you mean. 1 season? 2 seasons? Do you know that Tigers won the Premiership in 2013? Do you know that Tigers reached the Premiership semi final in 2014?

So you are basing your reason to sack Cockerill on 2 months of this season?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I don't recall actually saying "Sack RC" HOWEVER!

I don't believe Leicester are developing as a side.
If you look at out European performances we've slipped from finalists / semi finalist material to quarterfinal outsiders to alsorans in the group. We're about at the same stage on the loop as we were when Deano "left".

Tigers have gone as far as they can go with this regime. Now it's time for a change. (IMHO AGAIN) Gibson or Mauger would be my preference...........but maybe not to take over but to work with RC who should (IMHO Again) retain the forwards.

Doom monger? Not really! I'd prefer the term forward looking, I want to see the team progress not stagnate into a second rate, up the jumper mid table outfit.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Well said Dai!

I have kept out of this debate but it doesn't mean I haven't an opinion. I am certainly not in the 'sack Cockers' camp but I do believe he has taken us to the top of his level and the whole coaching team do not have the experience or talent to take us to the next level. We have seen over the last couple of seasons other teams progress and overtake us. It grieves me to say but Sarries and Saints are just two.

The whole coaching structure needs looking at and that is the Board's job. As others have said rugby is a business and a very serious business at this level. We should not be allowed to regress because that makes it even more difficult to climb back to the top of the pack. Injuries, or no injuries, this is a defining season for us IMHO.

My verdict on last night's performance - inept, a disgrace. I thought we had turned a corner with the performance against Ulster which really showed commitment, passion and honest hard work. How could it all go wrong in one week? I put my foot through the TV last night - wonder if the club will reimburse me for a new one? No I thought not.
Give blood, play rugby!!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Two points:
1) unless the game plan was "go out and be as inept as you possibly can", I don't see how the debacle last night can be blamed on the coach.
2) At the book launch the other week Martin Johnson was asked a direct question "do you want to go back into coaching". His answer was "no, not at the moment". Some people play games with media statements, he doesn't strike me as being someone like that. On the other hand Neil Back said he was looking to get back into it.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

As others have said rugby is a business and a very serious business at this level
So the number 1 priority for this business is to make money and winning competitions doesn't actually make much money. I remember a Radio Leicester interview a few years ago with either Simon Cohen or Peter Wheeler and they said the further you go in a competition the less money you make out of it due to travelling costs, win bonuses etc. So if this is the argument, then surely it is better for us not to make semi finals and finals. As long as people are coming through the turnstiles and sponsors are paying Tigers money then this should be enough.

However, this isn't the case and Tigers still want to win competitions and we last won one in 2013 and as we are only in October, we could win one in 2015.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ellis9 wrote:
As others have said rugby is a business and a very serious business at this level
So the number 1 priority for this business is to make money and winning competitions doesn't actually make much money. I remember a Radio Leicester interview a few years ago with either Simon Cohen or Peter Wheeler and they said the further you go in a competition the less money you make out of it due to travelling costs, win bonuses etc. So if this is the argument, then surely it is better for us not to make semi finals and finals. As long as people are coming through the turnstiles and sponsors are paying Tigers money then this should be enough.

However, this isn't the case and Tigers still want to win competitions and we last won one in 2013 and as we are only in October, we could win one in 2015.
May be.........but the "coming through the turnstiles" is a telling line.....but as you become less successful less people want to come and see you, less people want to play for you and less people want to sponsor you and you die!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Well I will say to any fans that don't want to watch and support Tigers if they don't win competitions so often in the future: Please don't come to Welford Road again. You should support your club whether they win, lose or draw or win or don't win trophies. Those people won't me missed at Welford Road.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ellis9 wrote:Well I will say to any fans that don't want to watch and support Tigers if they don't win competitions so often in the future: Please don't come to Welford Road again. You should support your club whether they win, lose or draw or win or don't win trophies. Those people won't me missed at Welford Road.
Ah! I admire the moral stance and to a certain extent I agree with you...............enough in fact to doubt my own support. I'm afraid the sad truth of running a business (rather than a club?) is that you need people to come to Welford Road, glory hunters or not. You may not miss them but the business will. The commercial model depends on them.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

ellis9 wrote:Well I will say to any fans that don't want to watch and support Tigers if they don't win competitions so often in the future: Please don't come to Welford Road again. You should support your club whether they win, lose or draw or win or don't win trophies. Those people won't me missed at Welford Road.
Been doing it for 40 years and will still do it, but this and last seasons performances have been so abject and poor that the crowds are staying away. I can recall only Saints and Ulster games was the terrace crammed full last season and this season the spaces have been rather embarrassing for games. Fans are not being entertained by good rugby so feel its best to stay at home!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

With an average gate of 21,443 this season in all competitions, I wouldn't say the crowds are staying away!