Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Time for Cockerill to go

Post by Doghashadhisday »

MrPartridge wrote:
Breaking news - Cockerill is going! To Twickers in May 2015
Has he bought a ticket for the game then?

If he's there for the European Final on 2nd May as anything other than a spectator I'll eat my hat!
There are a lot of fat ladies on here singing prematurely. Until it is mathematically certain that we will not make a final I will keep my tonsils in check.
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

Lest we forget the glory of victory, lest we forget the agony of defeat instead we share the love of our home team.

Sir Richard of Cockerill has my backing fully as have all the coaching staff fully. The players I back fully and this is with 40 years of following the Tigers.

I hope Sir Richard stays he is tigers he understands tigers and us as fans understand him.

Rather than call for his head should it not be better to show him nothing less than our full support?
APM16

Post by APM16 »

from ECPR email
Terminal Tigers
Richard Cockerill believes Leicester Tigers' 13-3 defeat against the Scarlets could be 'terminal' for his side's chances of reaching the knock-out stages of the European Rugby Champions Cup. Having opened their Pool 3 campaign in fine style with a home win over Ulster they had hoped to make it two successive victories to maintain pressure on double champions Toulon.
His comments when interviewed during the match beggared belief - as did Paul Burke's demeanour(sat beside him) - coming over as 'it's not our fault'. If you're in a leadership position and you don't appear to have a clue, don't be suprised if your followers(team) appear to have lost the plot.

The clocks have just changed and it's 5 to midnight, so no need to ask for whom the bell tolls.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I too like APM16 believe that the bell is tolling for Cockers and all his coaching staff. How many chances are the board going to give him? Some people
say that the bell is tolling for midnight, it's a good job we put the clocks back an hour yesterday perhaps Richard thinks he has still 60 minutes left.
There is obviously something wrong with the way we are training. How do professional players make so many basic errors in a period of 80 minutes? If Cockers can't fix it then he has to go. Problem is can any one else fix it and that must be the question that the board are asking themselves. If there is someone around who can fix it where is he, any suggestions? All gratefully received.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Noddy555 wrote:I too like APM16 believe that the bell is tolling for Cockers and all his coaching staff. How many chances are the board going to give him? Some people
say that the bell is tolling for midnight, it's a good job we put the clocks back an hour yesterday perhaps Richard thinks he has still 60 minutes left.
There is obviously something wrong with the way we are training. How do professional players make so many basic errors in a period of 80 minutes? If Cockers can't fix it then he has to go. Problem is can any one else fix it and that must be the question that the board are asking themselves. If there is someone around who can fix it where is he, any suggestions? All gratefully received.
Richard Cockerill was given a lengthy extension to his contract by the board after fine leadership and team performances OVER THE WHOLE SEASON. I very much doubt a decent board of directors will take a knee jerk reaction when we are still in the position no worse than we were the year we won the Premiership title. I well recall the same people demanding the sacking of our DOR and coaching staff going very quiet after that truely great performance at Twickenham, a performance just as good as any vintage Tigers performance from the past. The trolls with the sole purpose of getting Richard Cockerill the sack were silenced then, I for one am confident with the imminent return of the likes of Dan Cole and soon to be followed by others I hope, we will rise to our usual position at the top end of the table vying for silverware.Remember there are no trophies given out in the middle of the season, that is near 6 months away.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

The pro Cockers brigade blame the players. The same players who produced a magical 40 minutes against Ulster that amazed many of us. Then Cockers told them to forget all that fancy nonsense and kick the ball down their throats and defend. Result, a bonus point lost and one given away. The team that ran out at Scarlets was largely the same but motivated? Not. After the previous weeks efforts they appeared to think 'What's the blankety blank point?' And it showed. No motivation. As we have seen a lot this season, and where does that come from? Mr 'Stop being clever and do as I say'.

Years ago we used to use an expression to the effect of 'inebriated on his own importance'. I think that did for Deano and is about to do for Cockers.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Tigerburnie what's sacrosanct about letting a director of Ruby rule for the whole season, have I missed something is it written in stone somewhere? Perhaps it's on one of the bricks built into the floor outside the main reception area? Just as success was rewarded to Cockers by the extension of his contract last season perhaps he needs to learn the results of failure, whether it's 2,4 or 6 months into a season is irrelevent.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Events have now superceeded the last two posts, the board and we presume Paul Burke have come to a conclusion, I hope an amicable one and we now have new backs coaches. Will that be the end of the matter? on here I doubt it as the Cockerill haters are still on here.
I will say GS that unless you are a current player in the team, how do you know what has or not been said to the squad, just guess work and your own supposition again?
Of course I am being clever here after the event, but the board has acted with the facts and the people concerned views, not some anonymous key board warriors claiming to be fans, who could just as easily be fans from Northampton or another of our rivals making mischief.
Note I say could, we have no proof what so ever except someones word on here.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Well there you go. I have formed opinions based on the evidence of my own eyes and ears (e.g. listening to Cocker's interview with RL after the Ulster game) only to be countered by 'sledging and banter'. What a splendid discussion for the forum.

Go on TB, offer another explanation why the team that put Ulster to the sword for 40 minutes played as badly as they did the following week.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

GS wrote:Well there you go. I have formed opinions based on the evidence of my own eyes and ears (e.g. listening to Cocker's interview with RL after the Ulster game) only to be countered by 'sledging and banter'. What a splendid discussion for the forum.

Go on TB, offer another explanation why the team that put Ulster to the sword for 40 minutes played as badly as they did the following week.
I don't know if TB has an explanation, I don't. But what i have observed is that it happens to all clubs at all levels on a fairly regular basis.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

So you are quick enough to blame Cockerill for the error strewn display against Scarlets but I don't see you giving Cockerill praise for such a good 40 minutes against Ulster. Pot, kettle and black spring to mind!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

GS wrote:The pro Cockers brigade blame the players. The same players who produced a magical 40 minutes against Ulster that amazed many of us. Then Cockers told them to forget all that fancy nonsense and kick the ball down their throats and defend. Result, a bonus point lost and one given away. The team that ran out at Scarlets was largely the same but motivated? Not. After the previous weeks efforts they appeared to think 'What's the blankety blank point?' And it showed. No motivation. As we have seen a lot this season, and where does that come from? Mr 'Stop being clever and do as I say'.

Years ago we used to use an expression to the effect of 'inebriated on his own importance'. I think that did for Deano and is about to do for Cockers.
Awful lot of assumptions in there.....unless you were actually in the changing room when Cockers issued these instructions? There are actually 15 other players on the pitch trying to influence the outcome, and their actions do generally make a difference. If we had gifted two tries to Ulster in the same way at the same points, the outcome of that match would probably have been a loss as well. What I saw was a team already under pressure whose unforced errors made that pressure insurmountable. Kicking the ball away was a symptom of the pressure, not the cause. I don't think 'blaming the players' is the right term, but you can reasonably say they aren't being coached to panic on their 5 metre or drop the ball when a score is on. Top performing teams sometimes collectively under-perform - if the causes were simple to unravel you can be pretty sure that a psychologist would already have done so!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

h's dad wrote:
GS wrote:Well there you go. I have formed opinions based on the evidence of my own eyes and ears (e.g. listening to Cocker's interview with RL after the Ulster game) only to be countered by 'sledging and banter'. What a splendid discussion for the forum.

I don't know if TB has an explanation, I don't. But what i have observed is that it happens to all clubs at all levels on a fairly regular basis.
Quins? Bath? Same problem with them? They sacked their coaches? Not often I agree with h's dad but I do here.
BTW Cardiff Tig :smt006 I see our current problem of flat back play and poor handling as a risk that was contracted via MOC's attack philosophy. When it works it's good, but most of the time it doesn't. I can never forget one match where 12T and others played laborious circle ball. When in a position to receive info about Tigers boot room, I was told MOC didn't have the 100% respect of a lot of players (mainly forwards), one or two now in positions of influence.
Last edited by jgriffin on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Cockers went on the radio and told everyone he instructed the side to throw the second half????????????????????????? He went on radio and told them to stop the fancy nonsense???????????????/ I think I know where the fancy nonsense is coming from.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I believe that Cockers gave the instruction to use more kicks in the second half to make them play from their own half. He said that they could nad should have been executed better.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk