Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Time for Cockerill to go

Post by tigerburnie »

The Boy Dave wrote:Why kick it away?
Slow ball, lack of supporting numbers!
On this specific occasion Dave, the Scarlets kicked the ball to us and it was not a very good kick either, the chasing runner(and then try scorer) was some distance away. In general I thought we got some pretty quick ball, we just didn't look after it. We turned ball over too easily in the contact. Although in defence of our players, we turned over a fair amount of Scarlets ball. The stats showed we won all of the areas of the game except one, we didn't score enough.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

tigerburnie wrote:
On this specific occasion Dave, the Scarlets kicked the ball to us and it was not a very good kick either, the chasing runner(and then try scorer) was some distance away. In general I thought we got some pretty quick ball, we just didn't look after it. We turned ball over too easily in the contact. Although in defence of our players, we turned over a fair amount of Scarlets ball. The stats showed we won all of the areas of the game except one, we didn't score enough.
Are you Cockerill in disguise?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We have a new defence coach and we have relatively new coaches for the backs in time we will see their contribution, but until our players are both fit and firing better, no amount of changes off the field are going to fix what went wrong last night on it. We panicked a bit last night after the first try and were very unlucky, as Healey said in commentary, with the second try. Scarlets didn't actually do anything last night except take two gift wrapped opportunities very well.
We are clearly looking for a bit of inspiration on the field and last night we didn't find it. I didn't see any player not trying last night, indeed one or two may just have been trying too hard. We are missing key players like Dan Cole, Geoff Parling and Manu Tuillagi. Never mind the likes of Morriss and Thompstone and Mulipola. New signing that have yet to make the field like Loamanu and Pearce, Bai has played once is it?
I did say several weeks ago on here that we might not be in a good enough condition to compete for the Champions Cup this year and that might just be the case. We can however still get top four and go to Twickenham in the Premiership with all the players and coaches we currently have. When we last won the Heineken we had eight players that were then part of the England World Cup winning squad, just now we don't have players of that world class calibre fit and on the field.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'm off down the "One eyed Turk" for my ritual humiliation and "wee wee" take. I'll carry the sins of the team on my back and expel them into the oblivion that is several pints of Felinfoel. Lets face it, I've been there more often than I would like this season. (Oblivion.....not the pub!)

I'll also find out what they think is wrong, find out what they feel Tigers should do.

Sometimes you've got to listen to the opposition?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Big Dai wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:
Are you Cockerill in disguise?
No Dai, I wasn't as good a player as him, nor did I quite have the bottle he has either. He might not be Leicester born like me, but I think we both have the same interest for the Tigers at heart.
LeicesterImp

Post by LeicesterImp »

Crikey! Reading some of these 'Cockerill Out' posts is amusing. Anyone would think Tigers fans are bad losers!
Yes we lost and played poorly but , like many have said, is down to the players making mistakes and not performing to the best of their ability.
Maybe with the injury list the lack of competition for places causes players to ease off - who knows?
Let Richard and his staff turn this around and let us see where we are at the end of the season before any rash decisions are made.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

LeicesterImp wrote:Crikey! Reading some of these 'Cockerill Out' posts is amusing. Anyone would think Tigers fans are bad losers!
Yes we lost and played poorly but , like many have said, is down to the players making mistakes and not performing to the best of their ability.
Maybe with the injury list the lack of competition for places causes players to ease off - who knows?
Let Richard and his staff turn this around and let us see where we are at the end of the season before any rash decisions are made.
The staff have had many opportunities over the past seasons to 'turn it around' and it ain't happened. Having previously watch two good games of rugby on the TV this weekend, I was settled in to see the Tigers work hard and carve out a feisty win against an indifferent Scarlets side to improve. Well, what a come down - poor in the extreme. Soft penalties given away, woeful game plan - if there was one to be had anyway. So bad with 15 mins to go, I applied the TV 'off' button. The staff can blame the players if they like, see RP write up, (a senior management cop out IMO) IMO the players (given the talent in the squad, with or without injuries) are being poorly managed. I cannot honestly see the Tigers getting more than 2 points out of the final 3 ERC games based on the performances so far. Like Big Dai, I will get the 'ear-bashing and maybe BD has a point about asking the opposition where it is going wrong because it would appear the Tigers management haven't a clue?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The staff have had many opportunities over the past seasons to 'turn it around' and it ain't happened
The past few seasons to turn it around?

The past few seasons would include 2012/2013 season. Do I really need to remind a Tigers fan who beat Northampton Saints 37-17 in that seasons Premiership Final?
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Why kick it away?

I'm just answering questions as to why the ball may be kicked away.
Give backs slow ball and that puts them under pressure from a defence and with an obvious lack of supporting players to run the ball and retain it then an option is to get rid of it.
We are not great at the breakdown in attack, our timing to clear the area is not great and we SOMETIMES invite pressure in my opinion, we need to get it away much quicker and avoid the mass of bodies at most rucks as much as possible, it's a combination of forwards not quite having the nouse required and a 9 that SOMETIMES takes too long to make decisions in my view, I'm not picking on individuals but simply stating that the two can hurt eachother if the continuity is not great.
In Scarlets case they pressured well and the result was clear, in my opinion Scarlets turn out some of the most naturally talented players you will ever see in rugby, they may not be the physical specimens like the All Blacks but they are certainly excellent all round rugby players.
I thought we started well and could have put some points on the board early on, then we were blowing a little in comparison to Scarlets and they took control, we left a few points out there but Scarlets left more.
The scoreline was about right in my view.
Cheery chappy
Ian S
Tiger Cub

Post by Ian S »

mike wrote:Personally I would have let him go some time ago . Every Coach has his sell by date and Cockerill is well past his - it is time for a change to bring in new blood with new ideas .
:smt038
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Personally I would have let him go some time ago . Every Coach has his sell by date and Cockerill is well past his - it is time for a change to bring in new blood with new ideas .
When you say "some time ago", how long ago do you actually mean?
Northeast Tiger

Post by Northeast Tiger »

Let us give Cockers a full squad to pick from, 3 games in a row and then make a judgement.
Try taking a flock of sheep with your two best dogs injured and going with two lesser experienced dogs across a fell back to the farm. The young dogs try their best, but can get in a mess. The farmer doesn't sack the shepherd but may help with getting the experienced dogs back to full health.
sjm
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by sjm »

as a matter of interest does any body agree with TRP in their star man being Johnny Lacey
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

sjm wrote:as a matter of interest does any body agree with TRP in their star man being Johnny Lacey
Was this the first game a Pro12 referee, refereed a Pro12 team.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:Whilst I think there needs to be a change, and some new blood (from outside the Tigers family) I do wonder about calling for Cockers to go after last nights' performance.

Was is Cockers who dropped the ball over the line with defence beat?
Was is Cockers that fell over and dropped the ball 5m from his own line gifting a try?
Was it Cockers forcing the offload and trying to play 7s giving away in intercept try?

Change 3 individual errors, that were totally outside of Cockers' control, and we win 8-3 or 10-3.
Ok change of plan then - get rid of the players involved. :smt002
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.