Team for Saturday v Scarlets - Allen's back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jumbo

Team for Saturday v Scarlets - Allen's back

Post by Jumbo »

Leicester Tigers (v Scarlets, Parc y Scarlets, Saturday 7.45pm)
15 Mathew Tait
14 Blaine Scully
13 Vereniki Goneva
12 Anthony Allen
11 Miles Benjamin
10 Owen Williams
9 Ben Youngs (c)
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
3 Fraser Balmain
4 Brad Thorn
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Jamie Gibson
7 Julian Salvi
8 Jordan Crane

Replacements
16 Harry Thacker
17 Michele Rizzo
18 Tiziano Pasquali
19 Sebastian De Chaves
20 Robert Barbieri
21 David Mele
22 Freddie Burns
23 Matt Smith
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team for Sat - Allen's back

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Great looking team can't wait for this match now :smt023

I think Williams will be imperious..come on Tigers!!
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Great to see him back - much needed! :smt023
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

In case people miss it from the other thread, Scarlets unchanged for the match...from their website

15 Liam Williams
14 Harry Robinson
13 Michael Tagicakibau
12 Scott Williams (capt)
11 Kristian Phillips
10 Rhys Priestland
9 Aled Davies
1 Rob Evans
2 Emyr Phillips
3 Samson Lee
4 Jake Ball
5 Joe Snyman
6 Aaron Shingler
7 John Barclay
8 Rory Pitman
16 Kirby Myhill
17 Phil John
18 Rhodri Jones
19 George Earle
20 James Davies
21 Rhodri Williams
22 Steven Shingler
23 Jordan Williams
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

For all our injuries, that is avert strong team. Williams starting is hopefully a way of showing Gatland what he is missing. Good coaching by Cockers there. Should be a great game.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Williams starting @ 10 confirms he is number 1 there.

Doubt he will go ATM.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

A good side - and what I was hoping for based on who realistically would be available. If fit, I would like to have had Thompstone on the bench. We don't need Smith to cover centre as Owen could do that. Let's hope that Allen does actually start. Should be strong enough for the win - with a stronger bench I would hope for the bonus point as well.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Awesome. Having Allen back provides a feeling of security that our back line might actually know what they are trying to do. Doesn't mean they'll be able to do it of course, but clarity of objectives is a start. Is nice to have a selection that finally looks like a reasonable strength Tigers team for the first time this year, plus the sense that the likes of Thorn and Ghiraldini have now actually settled in and will be able to contribute properly.

Still be a very tough game though. Scarlets appear to have done the best job of the Welsh regions in terms of keeping a steady flow of local players coming through. No superstars but plenty of very decent players.
Joe The Tigers Fan
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

A blessing in disguise for an injury hit team is that continuity of performance, everybody becoming familiar with what their team mates will do. Only works when you are winning of course. But if you do get a winning run it can take you places. The only downside is that the lack of a bench that can slot in and maintain the standard. I can see us doing the same as the last couple of weeks. Strong start, getting to 55-60 minutes looking comfortable but then tiring a little and hanging on.

TBH, without wishing to appear over confident I see no reason we can't get a win and strike up a BP.

Burns can have no complaints about having to play second fiddle to Williams right now. I am sure he will be back and improved.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

That's a good team. I'm hopeful that some of the players will be able to have a well deserved rest come the LV with (hopefully) the likes of Loamanu, Bai, Pearce etc coming back in.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

These round of LV matches look like being really good timing for us this time round.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Having bemoaned the lack of Allen for his organisational strengths I have to say that the defence over the last two games has been very good, especially last week. It's good to see him back though. Still concerned about the bench front row after last week when we looked pretty tired as Ulster were bringing on fresh legs all over the place. Perhaps if we keep hold of the ball instead of kicking it away this time.... :smt002

The team's done really well over the last two games and we 'just' need to keep that form up and I'll be pleased. After that what will be will be. I don't think for one minute there are any easy games in the competition but this looks like it might be the easier of the away games so fingers crossed. Tigers by a short head (after all the betting talk last week).
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team for Saturday v Scarlets - Allen's back

Post by baz1664 »

Great to see Allen back in the midfield, will add some leadership with his organisationl skills, spot on with putting Williams in at fly half, he is in form and kicking his goals and deserves the shirt in front of Burns. Its a minimum of 4 points required this weekend, if we get the win we will be in a good position.

Agree with the LV games, we could well have a run in this tournament this year, ideal time to give the blokes coming back from injury some game time.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It is a good looking side, glad Brad Thorn made it as we seem to need him up front. Not expecting any bonus points and with the new format, not sure they will matter, we just need to win and I believe we can.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRrrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Great to have AA back but don't under-estimate the as LS pushed Toulon hard last weekend. Any win will do today and is required IMO is we hope to progress. Also looking forward to Ulster v Toulon - fingers crossed on a low scoring draw!