Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Barbarians squad up!!!!

Post by RagingBull »

What a list of players:

Barbarians squad:

Backs: T Nanai Williams (Chiefs), J Tuculet (Grenoble, Argentina), P Osborne (Highlanders), F Halai (Blues, New Zealand), J de Jongh (Stormers, South Africa), N Cummins (Coca Cola West Red Sparks, Australia), F Saili (Blues, New Zealand), C Slade (Crusaders, New Zealand), M Boshoff (Golden Lions, South Africa), T Cubelli (Belgrano, Argentina), S Pretorius (Cheetahs), F Tanaka (Highlanders, Japan).

Forwards: C Oosthuizen (Cheetahs, South Africa), M Stevens (Sharks, England), T Du Toit (Sharks), A Ta'avao (Blues), J Parsons (Blues), M Schwalger (Chiefs, Samoa), M Rhodes (Stormers), M Alemanno (La Tablada, Argentina), D Bird (Canterbury, New Zealand), A Kellock (Glasgow, Scotland), A Thomson (Canon Eagles, New Zealand), M Todd (Crusaders, New Zealand), S Luatua (Blues, New Zealand), H Brussow (Cheetahs, South Africa), J Botes (Sharks).

Imagine we will have the first team minus the key key players.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Barbains squad up!!!!1

Post by Hinckley Bob »

I don't fancy our third team against these!
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

RagingBull wrote:Imagine we will have the first team minus the key key players.

I imagine Tigers will have a third-string side padded out with Nottingham/Bedford players given the current injury list. Even though there are only LV games either side of this, I would hope the Premiership XV are protected from this meaningless friendly and ANYONE carrying a knock is given the midweek off to better recover rather than being forced to play in a money-maker which will count for nothing by the end of the season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I hope our representatives are having a chat to the representatives of some of those players. Namely Todd and Brussow if Matera really is looking to go and play in the Super 15.

Bird the second row and de Jongh the centre wouldn't hurt the squad for next season either.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

tjs10 wrote:
RagingBull wrote:Imagine we will have the first team minus the key key players.

I imagine Tigers will have a third-string side padded out with Nottingham/Bedford players given the current injury list. Even though there are only LV games either side of this, I would hope the Premiership XV are protected from this meaningless friendly and ANYONE carrying a knock is given the midweek off to better recover rather than being forced to play in a money-maker which will count for nothing by the end of the season.
Given this http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/20939.php I wouldn't think so.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

ourla wrote:Given this http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/20939.php I wouldn't think so.

I hope that is just marketing talk to try and boost attendance.

My view might be different if Tigers had a fully fit, fully available squad to call on but we don't.

I also remember the March 1998 Barbarians fixture, though Cockers may not do as he (like the rest of the Tigers first XV) was rested for that midweek evening fixture. Oscar Wingham as captain...?
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I think the answer to the question what strength of team we put out is answered by the question - "Why is the fixture there in the first place?".

I have no idea as to why, (maybe I just haven't looked), but if it is to "carry on the tradition", in a meaningful way, then I would summise it to be downright rude not to put out (within reason) the strongest XV possible.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

The marketing men will tell you it is to carry on "the tradition".

The statisticians would point out that there hasn't been a Tigers vs Barbarians game since March 2006 and there has never been one in November so "tradition" is a weak argument.

Money is a more reasonable excuse for the scheduling of this game. But if attendance is as low as has been rumoured, I don't think this game will even cover its costs.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Could see the teams being maybe if the players who are meant to be fit are back:

1) Bristow
2) Briggs
3) Pascuali
4) Price
5) De Cheves
6) Crane (C)
7) Gibson
8) Pearce
9) Mele
10) Williams/Burns
11) Benjamin
12) Bai
13) Loamanu
14) Thompstone
15) Bell

16) Thacker
17) Brugnara
18) Pas
19) Beckett
20) Owen
21) Harrison
22) Burns/Williams
23) Smith

Leaves a team for the LV cup like:

1) Brugnara
2) Farnworth
3) Stout
4) Beckett
5) Maksymiw
6) Owen
7) Tkhilaishvili
8) Milne
9) Tresidder
10) Bryant
11) R.Williams
12) Pohe
13) Catchpole (C)
14) D,WIlliams
15) Hargreaves

16) ?
17) Hills
18) Hogan
19) ?
20) Priestley-Nangle
21) Prince
22) C.Thacker
23) Odogwu
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I am sure a lot of the money raised goes to the Baa-Baas and I hope we use it as a good training exercise and treat the opposition with the respect the badge deserves. I would see this as an opportunity for Tigers and their fans, not a chore, fond memories of the Barbarians games.Granted the AI's has sort of taken away the novelty of seeing internationals from other parts of the globe, but an exciting looking squad they will bring. Well remember the Tigers v South Africa game when a young Manu first shone for us, can't remember who he had by the throat, but it made me laugh at the time.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Barbarians squad up!!!!

Post by Iain »

Ah who cares. I'm more bothered about seeing the Barbarians for this one. There's some decent players in there, my ticket was cheap as I got it early and there's fireworks after the game. What's not to like?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Iain wrote:Ah who cares. I'm more bothered about seeing the Barbarians for this one. There's some decent players in there, my ticket was cheap as I got it early and there's fireworks after the game. What's not to like?
Would love to see Tigers pinch some of the players after on injury cover or get them loaned to them whilst players like Youngs, Parling, Mulipola etc are out and then they can go back to Super rugby in January or something like that ;)

Would be nice ;)

My shopping list to cover areas would be Saili (12), C Oosthuizen (1), Bird (4,5), Luatua (6,8), or Brussow (6,7) amd the either Nanai Williams , Osborne, Halai or Cummins to cover the back 3.

That will do me.
LeicesterImp

Post by LeicesterImp »

I'm really looking forward to this game. Anyone heard anything about how many tickets have been sold? Will all the stands be in use?
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

LeicesterImp wrote:I'm really looking forward to this game. Anyone heard anything about how many tickets have been sold? Will all the stands be in use?
A couple of Stewards at the Ulster game remarked, independently, that only 10,000 tickets had been sold at that time for the Barbarians game.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Brianf wrote:A couple of Stewards at the Ulster game remarked, independently, that only 10,000 tickets had been sold at that time for the Barbarians game.
At least that's a 100% increase on what I heard at the Quins match (see here).

The club is now giving away free tickets according to an email I received yesterday. The opening paragraph read:

Dear xxx,

There are still tickets left for our clash against the Barbarians on Tuesday, November 4, 7.30pm kick-off and as a thank you for your support and for purchasing we're offering you the chance to have an extra ticket FREE for the match to bring another friend or family member to enjoy this historical clash.