Choice of Captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PCA26
Tiger Cub

Choice of Captain

Post by PCA26 »

Whilst I can accept Richard Cockerill's frustration at injury list, I am surprised that he has persisted with YBY as Captain. When we have been up against it in recent games , you would want a skipper who can rally those around him. I just don't see this in Ben. Would have thought a forward would have been a better choice Kitchener maybe ?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Choice of Captain

Post by Noddy555 »

I entirely agree, I have always felt that the Captain should either be a forward (preferrably lock forward) or the flyhalf. To my mind Youngs is not captain material and should be stripped of it immediately, (perhaps his performances will get better). Of the current crop of first team regulars I would have Kitch or Julian Salvi as my captain.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Kitch and now!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Kitch captained England earlier this year - surely good enough for Tigers & better than YBY, who does not appear to have been able to rally the troops or get "in the ref's ear" in any game thus far....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Yeh, off with his head, what does a British and Irish Lions player know about rugby? :smt005
Last edited by tigerburnie on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I would go for Thorn, his influence will get greater and greater as he regains full fitness.
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Noddy555 wrote:I entirely agree, I have always felt that the Captain should either be a forward (preferrably lock forward) or the flyhalf. To my mind Youngs is not captain material and should be stripped of it immediately, (perhaps his performances will get better). Of the current crop of first team regulars I would have Kitch or Julian Salvi as my captain.
So you didn't rate Geordan Murphy a success then?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

tigerburnie wrote:Yeh, off with his head, what does a British and Irish Lions player know about rugby? :smt005
What has being a Lion got to do with captaining your club side ?

Great players do not always make great captains (or coaches!) as the skill sets are different.... A captain is expected to lead - a player is expected to play = two totally different things IMO
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Whilst I can accept Richard Cockerill's frustration at injury list, I am surprised that he has persisted with YBY as Captain
Totally agree… I'm not convinced Youngs is the best 9 in the club on current form.
Yeh, off with his head, what does a British and Irish Lions player know about rugby? :smt005
I remember his Lions performance - 2nd Test. We lost… and he wasn't picked again. I'm not saying his isn't a good player… and you'd like to think class is permanent, but his recent form has been awful.
covrich

Post by covrich »

After the Exeter win didn't Youngs say Captaining Tigers was easy :smt042
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

As much as i like Kitch, with a fully fit squad, he wouldn't be starting, he would be on the bench behind Slater and Parling.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I would go for Thorn, his influence will get greater and greater as he regains full fitness
:smt023
Cheery chappy
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

covrich wrote:After the Exeter win didn't Youngs say Captaining Tigers was easy :smt042
I'm not quoting him but he said something more along the lines of - the rest of the squad make captaining the Tigers easy.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

tigerburnie wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:I entirely agree, I have always felt that the Captain should either be a forward (preferrably lock forward) or the flyhalf. To my mind Youngs is not captain material and should be stripped of it immediately, (perhaps his performances will get better). Of the current crop of first team regulars I would have Kitch or Julian Salvi as my captain.
So you didn't rate Geordan Murphy a success then?
Not sure Geordan was a great captain' simply because I'm not sure full back is the ideal position to captain the side from - often too far from the action around rucks and mauls to see what's going on and advise the players how to manage the game in respnse to the opposition tactics and, where appropriate, draw attention to that by being in the ref's ear.

Slater was shaping up well but another one on sick parade, probably for the rest of the season after his knee surgery. Shame for him as he was knocking on the doors of international recognition.

Not sure Thorn is the answer - the guy is 39 and signed on a coaching and occasional fill in basis. Will his body stand the rigors of the premiership? Will he have enough puff to get the words out to?
Last edited by mol2 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Slater was shaping up well but another one on sick parade, probably for the rest of the season after his knee surgery. Shame for him as he was knocking on the doors of international recognition.
Well while he's in sick bay maybe he can go and knock on the door of International Rescue? :smt042
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.