Goneva and Yellow Cards.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Goneva and Yellow Cards.

Post by wormus »

Goneva received another yellow today rather unexpectedly and this with the yellow at Exeter depending on the classification means he only has to receive one more this season to face the RFU panel.
Now last week Garner looked to want to card him for knocking the ball forward as he was tackled so we need to take care.
The RFU Regulation is on :-
http://www.englandrugby.com/governance/regulations/*
Regulation 19 Appendix 1 Three yellows in a season for technical / foul play means the player is banned from playing worldwide until tribunal.
However the only grounds for the 7 day appeal are if there was no act of foul play or appeal on MISTAKEN IDENTITY !!
However if Goneva was yellow carded for his arm in the tackle of Benjamin rather than identity then could the citing officer go for Benjamin too. I hope not as it adds more woe to our squad.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Goneva and Yellow Cards.

Post by Snorbins »

But did he do it? Mistaken identity? Ref failed to look at replay! Ass ref seemed to indictate he didnt have green number.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

To be honest, both calls on Goneva were soft - especially when you compare to the Rugby Championship games from the weekend, were both games features similar issues that simply were unpunished.

In saying that Goneva needs to be more positional, less committal, we don't need two men attempting the same tackle if all we get is punished.
tommo

Post by tommo »

Touch judge clearly said it was for no arms in the tackle. Again.

Both were negligible in terms of damage caused, but for the timing.

It's the risk a player runs when flying in with a shoulder.
Oh, When The Saints Go Marching In!
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

He should have just punched him in the face :smt013
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Watching on the TV it looked to me that Goneva tried to pull up before he got to the player but just bumped him with the shoulder, as the player was already falling due to Benjamin taking his legs cleanly out it looked far worse than it was. What annoys me is the over the shoulder tackles that go unpunished even though these are a lot more dangerous as a lot of the time the tackled player is actually held by the neck or pulled back downwards to the floor in a way that resembles the "horse collar" that was outlawed in American football due to the impact on the back of the head on landing. I was also very disappointed that the ref ignored the number of times the first man into the ruck was on his hands and knees in front of the ball thus preventing fair competition, whilst not condoning the use of the boot it seems this used to prevent players getting in a blocking position on the ground.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

I thought both of the Goneva 'tackles' were more running into trying to get out of the way rather than shoulder charges. I would say he was 'unlucky'
cheers
Rich
rangrave

Post by rangrave »

I do not think Goneva should have been yellow carded but if it had gone to video Benjamin should have received red card - how did the officials miss that?
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

There was no mistaken identity despite Crane and Benjamins bleatings, Small carded Goneva for a no arm tackle, and it is clear on the audio of the game that Small tells a player exactly that.

Small chose to ignore the alleged tip tackle and quite rightly so. People who are calling for a red card need to read the laws. At no stage was the player lifted and driven into the ground. His legs were pulled out from under him, and as he was so low anyway it would be absurd to even award a penalty for that one.

Goneva did go forward into the player with no arms, it was 50/50 whether it was a no arm tackle, it went against him and had he not done this earlier (and in previous matches!!) it might of gone his way.