Programme sales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub

Programme sales

Post by ElvastonTiger »

Does anyone else think the club are missing a trick by not selling programmes at Leicester train station on match days?
Lots of fans, myself included, arrive in town a couple of hours before kick off and it would be a great read whilst enjoying some lunch/pre match alcohol.
At the moment it only seems to be on sale in the vicinity of WR.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Programme sales

Post by jgriffin »

ElvastonTiger wrote:Does anyone else think the club are missing a trick by not selling programmes at Leicester train station on match days?
Lots of fans, myself included, arrive in town a couple of hours before kick off and it would be a great read whilst enjoying some lunch/pre match alcohol.
At the moment it only seems to be on sale in the vicinity of WR.
A matter of personal safety of the sellers, I suspect. Round the ground is safe, further away is definitely not.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Or why not sell them online to those who collect them
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

We gave up buying these when they went up to £2.50. Most of the information is out of date, especially the team sheets. The programme is overloaded with adverts and community stuff which as a non-Leicester resident is of little interest. I know the adverts are needed to cover the costs but I really do not need to pay to see them. I'd rather spend that money on a beer, if only I could get served at half time :smt019
ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by ElvastonTiger »

I hadn't thought about the safety issue. They could still be sold via a partner newsagent I guess. I'm pretty sure they'd shift in three figure sums (without a decimal point) as away fans arrive there too.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

I seem to recall that around 10-15 years ago they were sold in Mercury News shops & similar but this stopped so obviously the club decided that the cost of distribution, collection & wastage wasn't cost-efficient.

While I agree that some additional fans would buy copies via local shops I would expect that most sales would be to fans who would have bought programmes at the ground anyway. Therefore the club would be incurring additional cost & effort for a minimal revenue increase.

Online sales via the web shop should be simple enough though.