Booing the last kick.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Booing the last kick.

Post by Granby »

DickyP wrote:It's not exactly the first time it's happened is it? I can remember it happening at least half a dozen times in the last few years I've been coming to Tigers and the circumstances under which it happens are always the same - a totally unreasonable and unfair penalty ward. It WILL happen again - we grudgingly applaud good scores against us and mutter when we don't like being scored against but live with it. These booing sessions should be seen for what they are - a total collapse of sanity in the application of the laws of the game.

Yesterday was cumulative - a chain of clearly inaccurate decisions and a steady ignoring of facets of the laws. When they scored it was following a kick off where the LI player who caught the ball was metres offside at the kick-off. Salvi was blown up for one of the penalties they scored from for not releasing when he was the only Tiger over the ball and hadn't even been involved in the tackle!

We lost because we didn't take our chances but the ref 'lost' the crowd by the 30th minute: sad really because he'd been spot on to spot the obstruction to disallow their early 'try', but it all went downhill from there.
Not sure how this approach equates with your footnote :smt017
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Tyzot,

You are taking the :censored:... Getting someone thrown out for abusing the ref... Get a life.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

DickyP wrote:It's not exactly the first time it's happened is it? I can remember it happening at least half a dozen times in the last few years I've been coming to Tigers and the circumstances under which it happens are always the same - a totally unreasonable and unfair penalty ward.
That is fine so let's stop bigging ourselves up saying we are ALWAYS silent for the kicks. If we are going to boo when we believe it was a poor decision then really we have to making that claim.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tomvarndell wrote:Tyzot,

You are taking the :censored:... Getting someone thrown out for abusing the ref... Get a life.
Tyzot is spot on. Suggest you learn a few rules of the club and game.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Granby wrote:
DickyP wrote:It's not exactly the first time it's happened is it? I can remember it happening at least half a dozen times in the last few years I've been coming to Tigers and the circumstances under which it happens are always the same - a totally unreasonable and unfair penalty ward. It WILL happen again - we grudgingly applaud good scores against us and mutter when we don't like being scored against but live with it. These booing sessions should be seen for what they are - a total collapse of sanity in the application of the laws of the game.

Yesterday was cumulative - a chain of clearly inaccurate decisions and a steady ignoring of facets of the laws. When they scored it was following a kick off where the LI player who caught the ball was metres offside at the kick-off. Salvi was blown up for one of the penalties they scored from for not releasing when he was the only Tiger over the ball and hadn't even been involved in the tackle!

We lost because we didn't take our chances but the ref 'lost' the crowd by the 30th minute: sad really because he'd been spot on to spot the obstruction to disallow their early 'try', but it all went downhill from there.
Not sure how this approach equates with your footnote :smt017
Could get in a long, involved philosophical argument here but in short I don't think it conflicts. I didn't boo and didn't like the fact it happened, and merely commented on the fact that I understood why it did and that it wasn't exactly unique!. I generally think the game was played in the correct spirit, all the players giving their all - I merely commented on what I though was an incomplete performance by a ref I usually like.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

It would seems that the standards of some of the crowd are following the standards of the rugby Tigers are playing. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -ever.html

The Telegraph have got it spot on. the fans let the club down on saturday.

I didn't like the decision as much as anyone else, but the behaviour of the "fans" during the last kick was appalling, I left embarressed to be a tigers fan
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Tomvarndell wrote:Getting someone thrown out for abusing the ref... Get a life.
...or you should get a copy of the IRB Code of Conduct:

20.1.10 shall not abuse, threaten or intimidate a referee, touch judge or other Match Official, whether on or off the field of play;
20.1.11 shall not use crude or abusive language or gestures towards referees, touch judges or other Match Officials or spectators;

...or go watch football.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:
Tomvarndell wrote:Getting someone thrown out for abusing the ref... Get a life.
...or you should get a copy of the IRB Code of Conduct:

20.1.10 shall not abuse, threaten or intimidate a referee, touch judge or other Match Official, whether on or off the field of play;
20.1.11 shall not use crude or abusive language or gestures towards referees, touch judges or other Match Officials or spectators;

...or go watch football.
Massive +1
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Remember the Cockers masks at the start of last season? I'd like to see "SHHH!" Cards on every seat at the next home game.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Above all there is usually respectful silence for opposition kickers but some Leicester supporters let themselves down with behaviour that would have been frowned on at the nearby football ground.
the man that wrote that sentence should be sacked for over indulging in hyperbole... what a ridiculous comment
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

The Booing of the last kick was both wrong & disgraceful, whatever beef the fans had with the ref and their frustration at Tigers performance., the booing was something that needs nipping in the bud. What saddened me was that the booing seemed to emanate from the Crumbie, a stand which I used to populate before I bought my season ticket. It was uncrumbie like and against all the traditions of fair play that as a Tigers fan of longstanding, I have been very proud of. STOP IT NOW!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I am a semi regular poster on the forum, I am 72 yrs old, been a supporter since school days starting in 1953. I have to hold up my hands and say that i was one of very many on the Crumbie that booed the ref on Saturday.

It is the first time in my life that I have ever been drawn to show my disapproval in that way, no bad language.

I am basically embarrassed to admit this, it is not the way I have been brought up, I am sorry but the ref got to me, we have suffered some bad decisions over the many years but Mr Garner just seemed to hand the game to Irish. Standing watching from the Crumbie my views were supported most strongly by our coachs on the touch line, some of the decisions, or more correctly the blind eyes of ref and touch judges appeared to me incredulous.

I know my actions were not correct, I think the booing was extenuated by the announcer's request to stop, but I knew of no other way at that moment in time how I could show my annoyance with Mr Garner and his assistants.

I hope this is the end of the matter and others who joined in will desist like me in future, i dont intend to repeat it for a second time in my life and my love of rugby and Tigers. :smt022
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Fantastic and honest post LE18.
Let's move on.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:Let's move on.
Yes please let end this sanctimonious pius opus dei self flagellation over a game of rugby.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity