Injury news

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Injury news

Post by RagingBull »

Cole will hopefully be back for Novemeber in the LV cup and friendly games.

Last I heard.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:why are Tigers so reluctant to operate, how often do we see player X was trying to rehab, failed and then needed the op most docs would have sent him for weeks ago?

Unless there is an 80% chance or better that the rehab will work and an op won't be needed just fix the problem it's better in the long run for all concerned.
when i had issues with my shoulder, the consultant said opening it up was the absolute last resort. I know i'm not a pro sportsmen but maybe they prefer to explore all other avenues first?
cheers
Rich
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Wow that is great news RB..I hope he can come back and reclaim his spot for the six nations building into the world cup team because once they start winning the team won't be changed much if they get on a roll..Plus thinking about him and Ayerza back in our front row brings a tear to my eye :smt003
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:why are Tigers so reluctant to operate, how often do we see player X was trying to rehab, failed and then needed the op most docs would have sent him for weeks ago?

Unless there is an 80% chance or better that the rehab will work and an op won't be needed just fix the problem it's better in the long run for all concerned.
That assumes that the surgery is a certain fix and also assumes that the surgery is safe.

If I were Dan Cole I wouldn't have considered letting a knife near my spine until I'd given that 20% of recovery by rehab a good try because the surgery comes with a risk of long term disability.

Likewise with joint ops - Harry Ellis' career wasn't ended by the knee injury directly, but by the infection in his knee that complicated the op. Now his injury wasn't going to get better without surgery but if it were a different injury you could have understood the player, club and medical team being patient and giving appropriate rehab a chance before opting for surgery.

If rehab fails then all you have lost is a few weeks or months, but compared to an unnecessary operation that might end a career or worse?
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Look at Croft - recent issue is inflammation due to problems with a screw from when he had his ligaments operated on.

Surgery may be essential, or quicker now, but it doesn't mean it's better in the long run
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Any news on Hepetema? I didn't realise he had a long term injury!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Manu out for 3 weeks.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Looks like it could potentially be more than 3 too :smt012 ..As an England fan I am gutted and from a Tigers perspective I really hope he can start shaking off these injuries..
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Looks like it could potentially be more than 3 too :smt012 ..As an England fan I am gutted and from a Tigers perspective I really hope he can start shaking off these injuries..
TBH I don't min if he misses the whole of November we would have had to budget that anyway.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Next premiership match is not until Nov 16th, I'd let him rest until then.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

drc_007 wrote:Next premiership match is not until Nov 16th, I'd let him rest until then.
+1
cheers
Rich
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Perfectly valid question, but I for one am glad they are reluctant. We may complain about many things at Tigers but I suspect we are as good as any and far better than most in our treatment of the injured. I'm sure it isn't as simple as "let's go for it and save some time"! And yes, I know that throwaway is not at all what you meant but a hasty operating policy could result in the start of a move onto a very slippery slope if the management weren't very, very careful.

If truth were told, when I manage to stop being totally red/white/green blinkered, Tigers doing badly is a better option than ruining the health/life of any player.
Last edited by DickyP on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I still think Manu is being managed well for Tigers and kept away from poor treatment by England.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Comacho has had 3 ops on his shoulder, don't know whether he was being managed by his country at the time though.
cheers
Rich
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

DickyP wrote:

Perfectly valid question, but I for one am glad they are reluctant. We may complain about many things at Tigers but I suspect we are as good as any and far better than most in our treatment of the injured. I'm sure it isn't as simple as "let's go for it and save some time"! And yes, I know that throwaway is not at all what you meant but a hasty operating policy could result in the start of a move onto a very slippery slope if the management weren't very, very careful.

If truth were told, when I manage to stop being totally red/white/green blinkered, Tigers doing badly is a better option than ruining the health/life of any player.
Not that it would affect me personally, but I'm glad that ( AFAIK ) we haven't resorted to the sort of remedial tactics that some NFL players had to put up with during the 90's and still goes on now apparently...... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/72436 ... er-toradol (one of many articles!)