Team Vs London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Team Vs London Irish

Post by Dave J »

Just got back from the game and have to say first and foremost that, unlike last week, you couldn't fault the players effort today but having said that the execution was by and large poor.

To me me the four crucial points were

1. When did Geraghty learn to kick like that?
2. How on earth did Mr Garner think that punch did not warrant a card?
3. The dire attempted cut out pass right on half time that may have cost Tigers 7 points, and
4. Cranes' bonehead late hit on the Irish player. Garner had already blown for a scrum and Crane came from 10 metres away to make the hit. I know some posters think it was a harsh call but to me he left the ref little choice.
A citizen of hope and glory
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

L Smith wrote:
RagingBull wrote:You're commenting on a game you didn't watch?

Ii thought lack of heart wasn't why we lost it was execution and maturity IMO. the forwards were a lot more aggressive today. The defence is starting to get shape (barring some missed tackles).

It wasn't a performance to be embarrassed about nor excited about.

I think you are completely 1) underestimating the inexperience of the props, and 2) Underestimating a London Irish side that nearly beat Saracens and who tried them 4 to 3.

The tigers team is obviously lacking in confidence and fans who think they know better will not make it so.

to say the players didn't give 100% when you didn't watch it is silly.

I can't think of one player who didn't give it there all.
Resounding +1
Totally agree.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yep Maturity and Execution were needed.

I still want to hear from those on who they though put in less than 100%.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Dave J wrote:Just got back from the game and have to say first and foremost that, unlike last week, you couldn't fault the players effort today but having said that the execution was by and large poor.

To me me the four crucial points were

1. When did Geraghty learn to kick like that?
2. How on earth did Mr Garner think that punch did not warrant a card?
3. The dire attempted cut out pass right on half time that may have cost Tigers 7 points, and
4. Cranes' bonehead late hit on the Irish player. Garner had already blown for a scrum and Crane came from 10 metres away to make the hit. I know some posters think it was a harsh call but to me he left the ref little choice.
Dave J agree these were the crucial points. I realised it was going to be a long afternoon when I saw Crane and Salvi in the defensive line many times at lineout time. Probably an attempt to shore up the defence after last week. Players did put in an effort this week and whilst I hate us losing you cant fault the commitment. Scully and Goneva tried all they could to give us victory. Thought Gibson looked out of sorts today. In the end the difference was the goal-kicking but i dont blame Burns for the loss. Glos will be looking to turn us over next week and I just hope we have either Allen or Tuilagi back and possibly Parling and Croft as well.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Bundy wrote:Ok so I always thought we would be up against it today with the injuries and I am not an habitual anti-Cockerill member but please for the love of God can someone explain:
1. When we were crying out for a new injection into the back row ie Pearce, was he given less than 2 minutes playing time?!
2. A stalwart of the club though he is, why did Smith come on for Benjamin who showed real pace and a likelihood of scoring of given the ball?!!
Interesting comment around Pearce. There's an outside chance that Cockers has seen more of Pearce than us fans, has access to his medical and fitness records, is mindful that he played on Monday after a long injury, and will have seen him train in the last week. Just saying... :smt002

Having said that, as debut's go, that was a serious carry (albeit against trying bodies) and I have high hopes for the lad. Might even give Cockers some credit for signing him.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
covrich

Post by covrich »

I think it is a bit optimistic that we will see Parling back for Glaws, in fact from what we are reading a little time out may be on the cards for him. I think we can all agree that something he is suffering is something which shouldn't be taken too likely.. There is some possibility although I really hope not that we may not even see him play again :smt009 , but lets stay positive and wish he gets the best medical advise and attention he needs to get back.

It is tough for us playing with a lot of effort and suffering defeat at home, you have to remember a lot of these players are playing in units together for the first time.

Some positive is the front row seemed to put in a decent shift.

It is rough when you see the likes of Bath and Saints play so fluid at times but we will get there we just need to stick together and get through this tough patch and play with the same positive attitude.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

cockers said that Bai, Logo and Rizzo will be fit for next weekend.

And that Manu and thorn are possibilities.

But take these with a pinch of salt.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

covrich wrote:I think it is a bit optimistic that we will see Parling back for Glaws, in fact from what we are reading a little time out may be on the cards for him. I think we can all agree that something he is suffering is something which shouldn't be taken too likely.. There is some possibility although I really hope not that we may not even see him play again :smt009 , but lets stay positive and wish he gets the best medical advise and attention he needs to get back.

It is tough for us playing with a lot of effort and suffering defeat at home, you have to remember a lot of these players are playing in units together for the first time.

Some positive is the front row seemed to put in a decent shift.

It is rough when you see the likes of Bath and Saints play so fluid at times but we will get there we just need to stick together and get through this tough patch and play with the same positive attitude.
At least you and RagingBull are showing some common-sense. Agree totally with you.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. And it NEEDS to get worse. Start by playing people, even inexperienced people IN POSITION!

BUILD from foundations................don't use Elastoplast.

Ah well! Felinfoel at the Dragons tomorrow! Ho Hum!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What was Tait thinking of?
He, Youngs and Crane had howlers.

Apart from the gaps it created we were better off when Tait and Crane were in the bin.

Balmain was clearly done in by 10 minutes into the second half.
Temporarily subbed after knock to the head and we promptly demolished their scrum so why was he brought back on when Pasquale was clearly doing what a pair of fresh legs was needed to do.

We have a coach who has no understanding of how to use subs.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I felt very sorry for Pearce, given just 1-50 seconds of game time is just not enough time, he showed great promise in that short time and after how well he reportedly played on monday, he should have been credited with at least 15 mins. Pretty much same for Barberi, he should have replaced Crane way before he gave away a totally bone headed card, im sure the law states that you cannot rush in from 10 yards, dive in and use your shoulder into the kidney area, clearing out is supposed to be done in an upward movement to remove a body, absolutely stupid!
Poor Harrison, been playing very well, does not even get on the pitch, Smith comes on in the centre, moves Goneva to wing, Smith then rushed in and missed a tackle, Goneva , an internation centre moved over for a very loyal player but one who really is never going to make it, and an international winger taken off! Beats me!

Ref, well just cannot comment, too bad to waste breath on.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

On reflection, I think there were the elements of a reborn side there yesterday.
We now know:
1 Williams is a rock. likewise Goneva and Scully.
2 Benjamin is dangerous!
3 Bristow is gold, but Balmain is a one half player
4 Pasquali is good and has a very serious motor on him (and is currently EPQ)
5 YBY not captain, Kitchener is
6 De Chaves is good
7 Crane, Smith getting to become fringe players.
8. Cockers sub strategy is as silly as ever :smt005

I'm actually weirdly optimistic :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Players gave 100% but we are a team massively lacking in confidence.

It was a poor performance against a decent but not great LI side.

On the injury front I was told on Friday in the pub by a very reliable source that Allen's knee is 4 weeks, Manu's groin may actually be a hernia (they are not sure yet) and Parling has been having cognitive tests and the club are genuinely concerned about his future in the game...fingers firmly crossed for Geoff.

We have to improve massively from that or we won't make the top 6 let alone the top 4. The biggest concern to me was the lack of any proper ball carriers running straight and getting over the gain line. I sincerely hope Thorne is fit next week and if Pearce is properly fit he needs to be let loose at 8.
Soggypitch
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

I also was not too downcast after yesterday as in many ways I thought we did better than expected . We could have won had Balmain not come back - our long haired young prop seems quite lively and the scrum certainly went better when he was on . Lets hope Cockerill saw what happens when you have a big , fast No 8 carrying the ball - perhaps he might give him a bit more than 90 seconds next time . Mathew Tait was extremely disappointing - indecisive and offering nothing in attack - Scully for full back ?
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Whats happened to loamanu, arrived fit and ready to go and now he has disappeared, a must at least to start on the bench due to the amount of positions he can play.

Disappointing defeat yesterday, if burns had kicked his goals we would have won, his kicking game was poor, and didn't manage the game very well, Williams must start next week, I would give the 2 young props a run out next week, both look promising, Balmain looks heavy and sluggish around the park, doesn't offer much in the scrum as well. Would make Kitch or Salvi as captain, Youngs isn't the man for the job. It was embarrassing the amount of turn over ball we gave away in the maul, ref was poor tho and missed so many infringements, nothing for the punch on Gibson was a disgrace, what rule book was he playing from??