Today's game v Newcastle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

leic

Today's game v Newcastle

Post by leic »

Please can anyone tell me how we played today? Who played well, who didn't? Just got in from work and been looking for some feedback? Good result?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Today's game v Newcastle

Post by LE18 »

We achieved the 5 point win after a some what nervous first half when Newcastle held onto the ball and we could not gain possession, we lead 12-3 at half time all coming from penalties.

Newcaster stung us into action following a try by them immediately after the restart, tigers were still in the changing room. Tigers hit back with 3 tries from Goneva, Manu played well. Goneva, ben youngs, burns, logo, balmain all played very well, indeed no one had a shocker.

The bench came on, Barberi gave us a further score when he bunny hopped over from the base of a pushover scrum for Mele to touch down. Good to see Ty get 30+ mins.

Newcastle forced over the line following a ruck 10 yds out. They showed a lot of enterprise, 12 and 14 were very jinky players, sorry cannot remember their names. I thought our 12, Bai showed some very clever touches.

All in all a very good showing, always room for improvement but this will do us for a start. :smt038 :smt038
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I don't like Dean Richards whining on the BBC web page inferring that the referee gave us the game, Deano your lads were not good enough, get over it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

wouldnt say we played amazing or bad there quite a lot of good things we did and bai and burns looked good so to barberi. newcastle in the second half just werent good enough.things to build on but im happy
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Plenty for new defence coach Phil Blake to work on. We need to be better organised. Too many missed tackles. We need to defend the rolling maul more effectively - failure to do so led to their second try.

Our backs look like they will be dangerous as long as they get good ball. Against stronger teams our forwards will need to better providers.

Ben Youngs looked lively. Good games from Goneva, Bai, Barbieri when he came on. Agree with comments above on these players. Seb de Chaves and Kitchener also had a solid game.

On top in the scrum throughout the game. Well done to Logo (he was good in the loose and as a carrier too) and Balmain.

Line out misfired at times although I suspect that some of that was down to some undetected argy bargy.

Some bizarre reffing decisions against Tigers particularly in the 1st half at the breakdown. Also the ref missed a couple of clear blocks on Tigers players and a blatant non tackle where a Tigers player was scythed down by a Newcastle player who slid in legs first.

Plenty to work on but a lot of encouraging signs given new combinations bedding in and the players we have to come back in.

Happy with the win but we will need to move up a gear or two for Exeter and Bath.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Defence was good apart from not coming out of the dressingroom after halftime :smt009 however it was the kick up the jacksy needed.
Well impressed by most players, nobody played poorly, but for me Burns played his heart out and Niki proved what a poacher he is. Youngs/Burns is a tasty combo. Thought Barbieri showed lots of promise; just wish Leomanu has caught the first pass as he was in through a large gap. his second drop was due to a bullet pass at his ear-ole by Mele.
Mystified why we didn't get a penalty in the first half when everyone except the ref could see Welch lying offside. Still, Pearce did cotton onto Falcon's scrum fairly early on.

For Falcons, Sinoti and Socino a class act, and I can see them claiming some scalps if they can sort the pack out.

Finally I wish Deano would show some dignity post match instead of whinging. My 1990s hero turned out to be a cheat and a whinger :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The Newcastle try just after half time was due to the Tigers players stopping having seen the Newcastle player go into touch, something which was not spotted by the officials or referred to the TMO.

The new defence coach has only had 2 weeks with the players and his systems will be implemented over the coming weeks.

5 points is a good start and there were some good things and things that can be improved and worked on.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigerbeat wrote:The Newcastle try just after half time was due to the Tigers players stopping having seen the Newcastle player go into touch, something which was not spotted by the officials or referred to the TMO.

The new defence coach has only had 2 weeks with the players and his systems will be implemented over the coming weeks.

5 points is a good start and there were some good things and things that can be improved and worked on.
It looked from where I was standing some 10 metres away that he had just avoided going into touch.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Ben Youngs in an interview on Radio Leicester said he thought the player had gone into touch but did concede that you play to the refs whistle! There was no whistle till the try was awarded!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigerbeat wrote:Ben Youngs in an interview on Radio Leicester said he thought the player had gone into touch but did concede that you play to the refs whistle! There was no whistle till the try was awarded!
He went into touch then leaped out to catch the ball, landing with his right foot a grass-blade infield. From 40 metres away he would've looked on the line or out.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:The new defence coach has only had 2 weeks with the players and his systems will be implemented over the coming weeks.
I agree takes time to implement systems however we are talking here about a basic inability to make a one on one tackle. They are two completely different things and a lack of this fundamental skill staggers me.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Thanks for this..................keeps me in touch! (Pardon the pun) Exeter next.........which will be more difficult. Watching the box this afternoon?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

High point of the game for me was Logo's break in the first half complete with 2 "Samoan side-steps" which left bodies on the grass; had to hand it to the last ditch Falcons tackler who stopped him at some physical risk to himself.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

DickyP wrote:High point of the game for me was Logo's break in the first half complete with 2 "Samoan side-steps" which left bodies on the grass; had to hand it to the last ditch Falcons tackler who stopped him at some physical risk to himself.
Brilliant moment, but for an excellent tackle by (I think) Sinoti Sinoti - the Falcons No14 who had a pretty storming game all round (excepting his unfathomable dropping of the ball whilst running in our 22 in the 2nd half) we could've seen a Logo try to eclipse his effort against the Chiefs towards the end of last season!
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

Some good summaries here. My take was that it was an iffy first half and a cracking second. Freddie looked as though he had always played for tigers, and the bunny hop was the most entertaining part of the day.....