WR Expansion before 2015-16 Season????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: WR Expansion before 2015-16 Season????

Post by Noggs »

There was a comment on Radio Leicester after Saturdays game that the next area likely to be developed will be the club house end and that it was expected that the Holland and Barratt stand would be redeveloped within 5 years as by then it would be at the 'end of its life'.

It would make sense to do the club house end first as it is likely there will be a need to relocate H&B season ticket holders on a temporary basis during the period of the build.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

What ever, when ever and if ever the ground is developed further, please please please make sure our pitch is up to international standard in respect of it's size. I would much rather see international matches at WR with 26000 people than other games with 27000. That doesn't mean that I want to see internationals over Tiger's matches but would rather see the ground with a 26000 capacity and able to hold those matches than a ground with 27000 and unable to hold them.
Hehehehehehehehe
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="trendylfj"]What ever, when ever and if ever the ground is developed further, please please please make sure our pitch is up to international standard in respect of it's size. I would much rather see international matches at WR with 26000 people than other games with 27000. That doesn't mean that I want to see internationals over Tiger's matches but would rather see the ground with a 26000 capacity and able to hold those matches than a ground with 27000 and unable to hold them.[/quote]

If I remember rightly, re-orientating the pitch to make it larger was considered at the time of the first masterplan. The problem has always been insufficient land. I'm not sure, but I think, to do this now would require the acquisition of further land behind the Crumbie (H&B), including a car dealership. The way that car sales have improved lately would make this very expensive, even if they were inclined to consider relocating.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

So far as I know the required playing area dimension for internationals are:

Maximum: 100m x 70m
Minimum: 95m x 68m

I'm not sure about the width at Welford Road but I believe the length is 91m, hence we are only 4m short of meeting the minimum requirements for length. We have quite generous in goal areas compared with some grounds so I would have thought that in any redevelopment it would be possible to increase the length by stealing a little from the in goal areas plus a couple of meters from the club house end.

Again, if a little more width is required it could perhaps be achieved by reducing the width of the walkway in front of the Cat stand. If this is not possible for escape width reasons the advertising hoardings could be removed and if necessary the 'grass' beyond the actual playing surface could be replaced with Astroturf to allow for foot traffic at the end of the game. In addition, if necessary we could steal a bit when the H&B is redeveloped.

I don't think we need more land to have a ground that satisfies international requirements.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Noggs wrote:So far as I know the required playing area dimension for internationals are:

Maximum: 100m x 70m
Minimum: 95m x 68m
IRB Law 1.2 (d) i & ii gives you the numbers.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

We would need an extra 4m in length and 3.5m in width. This is why we were not included in the WC :

"ER 2015 claims the omission of Welford Road was based on the failure of the stadium to meet International Rugby Board criteria, even though it was included in the list of stadiums in the original tender when the RFU won the bid in 2009. ER 2015 said on Monday that its criteria was for a minimum pitch size of 95 metres by 68 metres. Welford Road’s pitch is 91m by 64.5m."

As has been said earlier it would not take to much to achieve the extra length when deciding what they are doing at the clubhouse end and the dead ball areas.

Width may be harder to achieve as I am sure walkways will has a H & S element but whatever they decide, I just hope that they bear this in mind.
Hehehehehehehehe
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

trendylfj wrote:We would need an extra 4m in length and 3.5m in width.

Width may be harder to achieve as I am sure walkways will has a H & S element but whatever they decide, I just hope that they bear this in mind.
My thinking was that if the advertising hoarding was removed (not currently in use from the stand side)and the area up to the side line was Astroturf people could step onto it if required without causing damage. In any case, without the hoarding people could disperse across the field of play in an emergency so the width of the walkway should not be an issue.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

IIRC There is a requirement that an ambulance has access between the pitch & Stand for new stands
Frankers
Tiger Cub

Post by Frankers »

Who cares if Welford Road gets bigger? as long as I've got my seat what else matters
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Frankers wrote:Who cares if Welford Road gets bigger? as long as I've got my seat what else matters
:smt023
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Frankers wrote:Who cares if Welford Road gets bigger? as long as I've got my seat what else matters

I had a friend who called Franklins gardens Frankers..........

:smt017
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Farmboy wrote:IIRC There is a requirement that an ambulance has access between the pitch & Stand for new stands
Astroturf would be fine for such access.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Surely announcements such as this should be made to shareholders. There are rules on giving out price sensitive news- Now I realise that our shares aren't worth a lot, but if you have shareholders you have to follow the rules.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

RagingBull wrote:I had a friend who called Franklins gardens Frankers.......... :smt017
I see you used the past tense. :smt002
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

[/quote]
I had a friend who called Franklins gardens Frankers..........

:smt017[/quote]

Are you sure he didn't have a speech impediment? :smt002