WR Expansion before 2015-16 Season????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: WR Expansion before 2015-16 Season????

Post by johns »

Simon Cohen said when he was on the Tigers Rugby Show it was hoped to build a new stand at the club house end increasing capacity by 2,500 to 26,500.

Incorporated into the build will be offices because for the Welford Road based staff. I guess the cube will be moved to the new training ground.

There is a shortage of office space at WR.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

I heard that WR will be buying into the District Heating System and that it will be used to heat one of the stands. How this will actually work is beyond me, but it may be that this will be incorporated into anything that is 'built'.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

Simon Cohen also confirmed the club are looking to relocate the training ground from Oval Park next summer.

With shared use of the facility with Oadby Wiggs the pitches are over used. They have been looking to transfer the lease so it will be acceptable to Oadby Wiggs.

They were looking at the Stonygate old ground.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

johns wrote:They were looking at the Stonygate old ground.
From the Merc. Being from out of town, where was the old Stonygate ground?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
johns wrote:They were looking at the Stonygate old ground.
From the Merc. Being from out of town, where was the old Stonygate ground?
That would be Covert Lane, Scraptoft, right next to Jimmies (Aylestone St James RFC).
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

h's dad wrote:
Noggs wrote:The club will make a statement when the time is right.
If you're not ready to make an announcement I would have thought that the wise thing would be to duck the question and say nothing. Having chosen to respond to the question it would be nice to follow it up with a bit of detail :smt001
I think ducking a question about a fairly modest change in capacity would be unwise when working with the media. It might be tricky coming up with much detail for a project that possibly won't start to be implemented until after the end of a season that hasn't started yet. Leicester Football Club plc is not a members club.[/quote]
Next your going to tell me the clue is in the name :smt002
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

h's dad wrote:That would be Covert Lane, Scraptoft, right next to Jimmies (Aylestone St James RFC).
Thanks for that. :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A bigger capacity for the big games may not mean a bigger average gate.

Some season ticket holders, who buy their ticket to guarantee seeing the big games, but for a variety of reasons (work, family etc) can't make some of the games, may decide that they don't need a season ticket because the capacity has increased, and actually attend and pay for fewer games.

It would be good if all games were sell outs again.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote:A bigger capacity for the big games may not mean a bigger average gate.

Some season ticket holders, who buy their ticket to guarantee seeing the big games, but for a variety of reasons (work, family etc) can't make some of the games, may decide that they don't need a season ticket because the capacity has increased, and actually attend and pay for fewer games.

It would be good if all games were sell outs again.
Certainly a point to be aware of but one that was made five years ago and which was followed by an average attendance increase of between 27% and 32% depending on how you calculate it.

Sell outs are no good. You want one spare seat for every match so you know that everybody who wants a ticket has got one.
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

Sell outs are no good. You want one spare seat for every match so you know that everybody who wants a ticket has got one.
What if two fans want to go to the match but they don't want to go on their own? :smt002 :smt003

/pedantry
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Christophelp wrote:
What if two fans want to go to the match but they don't want to go on their own? :smt002 :smt003

/pedantry
All right, two spare seats. No wait, what if.... Oh !!

Not often I go all egalitarian and liberal - now I know why.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Has the orginal plans that were approved been change at all?
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

If I rightly recall, planning consent is only valid for five years without having to be renewed, so the original plans are not going to happen. I would imagine that their thinking has changed and would depend on what the club can afford.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess discovering the pitch is too short for international games may have prompted a re-think on the need for 30+ thousand capacity?

I'm surprised they need the district heating system - wouldn't a blast from one of Cocker's half time team talks be cheaper?
tigertone
Tiger Cub

Post by tigertone »

If I rightly recall, planning consent is only valid for five years without having to be renewed, so the original plans are not going to happen. I would imagine that their thinking has changed and would depend on what the club can afford.

A planning permission only lasts for five years if it has not been implemented.
Once a "material start" has been made on implementing it there is no time limit for completing the development and no need to renew the planning permission. The building of the CAT stand, which formed part of the scheme presented to the public and was presumably included in the planning application, clearly amounted to a material start. That being the case, there is no reason why the original scheme could not be completed without further permission.
That is not to say, of course, that the club can not change its mind and decide to do something different.