Steve Mafi ---------> Western Force

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JerryGas

Re: Steve Mafi ---------> Western Force

Post by JerryGas »

I suspect he has signed a pre-contract agreement as I am sure he is contracted to us for one more year - I reckon he will be off next spring - certainly hope its not til then.

Don't forget we can add Loamanu to our back row resources if we need to - played there a lot for Treviso!
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Having now read the report on Planet Rugby, it reads that he is already back in Australia. Need Tigers to clarify the situation.
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Forget everything else… his departure is gutting as we now have one less chant on match days…

Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv!

Seriously… disappointed to see him go. Club stood by him last year, but I can understand why he wants to be closer to home so good luck to the lad. Not the worse position for us to lose a player in… but everyone seems to be assuming Croft will come back with no problems, He has hardly played in the last 2 years so it would have been nice to still have Mafi as a plan B/C. As last year proved at centre… you can never have enough strength in depth!
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

sad to see him go. brad thorn is a bit old though
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

amazing tiger wrote:sad to see him go. brad thorn is a bit old though
He's been a bit old for a long time now and was contributing well for the highlanders in super rugby. His main attribute is clearly his strength and 'grunt', moving here probably helps him to prolong his career because the game is slower and more attritional here. He might only play 10 times all year but the experience he will bring will be massively helpful. Like this signing a lot.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

JerryGas wrote:Having now read the report on Planet Rugby, it reads that he is already back in Australia. Need Tigers to clarify the situation.

The players were told this morning that steve has not returned from his trip to aus and is staying there after signing for western force
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Somewhat inevitable. He was really missed last season whilst Croft was out, and being back in Aus permanently is probably for the best.

Great player and servant to the club. We move on.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Sorry to see him go :smt022 a good footballer if you pardon the analogy and a worthy wearer of a Tigers shirt. A talented player sorely missed but fondly remembered. At times a real game changer. Go forward young man with the the best wishes of all at Welford Rioadm :smt023
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Excellent move for Steve and his family, Tigers helped to develop him into a great player who will be missed. I take it he was able to leave because he was out of contract?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great player but no use keeping him as his heart and mind would be in Australia. He certainly didn't perform well last year on the few times we saw him. Well done Steve, good luck but no loss if mind isn't switched on for us!
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Gutted if I'm honest, obviously we've got ridiculous resources in the backrow, but none of them have the same skill-set as Steeeve, so this is fairly gutting.

There's talk on the unoffy that Cockers feels pretty let down that, having given Steve all that leeway last season, he now hasn't shown up for pre-season when they were expecting him to, and has now been part of a contract announcement for another club whilst he's still contracted here. Fingers crossed this gets settled properly and doesn't become ugly; I can see journo sharks sniffing blood in the water.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

I have to say that was my thought too. Whilst family comes first, at first glance and without all the details it seems a poor reward for the loyalty Cockers showed him.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I heard that Cockers thought any announcement regarding Steve going were "premature" :smt017
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Sad to see him go, he gave 100% in every game he played, particularly the 2012 Aviva final. Can fully understand his reasons though, Family should always come first. My Frustration is with the Home office who wouldn't grant his wife & child a visa. That action has cost us an extremely talented player.
Along with all other fans I wish him well for the future and who knows we might see him again in a Tigers shirt.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Noddy555 wrote:My Frustration is with the Home office who wouldn't grant his wife & child a visa.
I hadn't heard that. Do you know why not?