One thing I want this season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

One thing I want this season

Post by ellis9 »

One thing I want this season is no one moaning and complaining about any of our games being played on any date or time other than 3pm on a Saturday. It is what it is, it is not the clubs fault and moaning about it will not make any difference whatsoever. This is the 21st century with rugby union a professional sport and business.

Also, I want us to win the Premiership and Champions Cup! :smt023
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: One thing I want this season

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

ellis9 wrote:It is what it is, it is not the clubs fault and moaning about it will not make any difference whatsoever.
But will it stop some folk moaning? Of course not.

p.s. That's a statement of fact, not a moan.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It might make a difference.
It makes the club aware that fans are not happy with matches at silly times and in turn they might lean on the TV companies, who may or may not listen.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

One thing I want is for the team to stay fit, everything else will take care of its self after that.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

What I'd like to see less of is posters classifying opinions they don't happen to agree with as 'moaning'. This would be a very dull board if we all shared the same viewpoint.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

mol2 wrote:It makes the club aware that fans are not happy with matches at silly times and in turn they might lean on the TV companies, who may or may not listen.
What exactly is a 'silly' time?

Until now, Sale and Newcastle have steered away from Saturday afternoon kick-offs as they are both in strong football heartlands. If, as you suggest, a club tries to lean on the TV companies, there is the possibility they will stay away from the home fixtures of that club and focus on the others. This, in turn, will bring out the 'why isn't our club being televised' brigade. Although, in truth, I don't think the TV people would pay a blind bit of notice to any complaints from the clubs.

The bottom line is if we're willing to accept the TV companies' money which allows us to pay top players, then we also have to accept some of our matches will be moved from Saturday afternoon.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

mol2, I agree everyone is entitled to an opinion. My opinion is that there were too many people moaning about different kick off dates and times. My opinion is that it will not make any difference whatsoever so therefore in my opinion, there is no point for anyone to keep going on about it. All of this is my opinion of course! :smt023
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
mol2 wrote:It makes the club aware that fans are not happy with matches at silly times and in turn they might lean on the TV companies, who may or may not listen.
What exactly is a 'silly' time?

Until now, Sale and Newcastle have steered away from Saturday afternoon kick-offs as they are both in strong football heartlands. If, as you suggest, a club tries to lean on the TV companies, there is the possibility they will stay away from the home fixtures of that club and focus on the others. This, in turn, will bring out the 'why isn't our club being televised' brigade. Although, in truth, I don't think the TV people would pay a blind bit of notice to any complaints from the clubs.

The bottom line is if we're willing to accept the TV companies' money which allows us to pay top players, then we also have to accept some of our matches will be moved from Saturday afternoon.
Hits the nail on the head, sure all the premiership clubs knew about this when PRL signed up to the tv deal, add on the fact that the footy is now in the top flight and you can expect more game disruptions and Rugby is sure to lose out if the fixtures clash.This just part of a proffesional sport and something we have to accept, it is not something any club can resolve on an individual basis.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I used to hate, with a vengeance, the Friday night games, and I think that if more people felt the same, and said so, then it might make a difference. Of course we have to accept what's on offer, I understand that, but we are entitled to voice our opinions.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
beech

Post by beech »

I accept that we have to accept different match times as we take the money from BT but I do get concerned about last minute changes which cause inconvenience if you have arranged travel to away matches.
tf22
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Last minute? You get at least 6 weeks notice (or similar)for fixture changes. At the start of the season when the fixtures are released it states that dates and times may change and they confirm the changes in about blocks of six fixtures, so surely you wouldn't book any travel arrangements until the fixture dates are confirmed.
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

For me, and I suspect a lot of other Tigers supporters, is the issue that some of the kick off times make it impossible for me to attend. Case in point is the Harlequins match this season.

Whilst I agree that there is little that the club could do directly, I found it very difficult to justify renewing my season ticket for this season based on the number of games that I was unable to attend last season due to the kick off times. If others, like me, start to cancel their ST's or the overall attendances start to drop, then they will have to do something. Not only does it reduce direct revenue but also sponsors may start either drifting off or want to pay less to the club and the TV companies.

One possibility that might be negotiable with BT Sports could be to allow LTTV to stream the match over the internet. Season ticket holders could have free access and reduced price 'tickets' for non-ST supporters. Obviously prices and Ts and Cs would have to be thrashed out to find a balance so that the supporters would see this as an 'emergency' option rather than a replacement to attending the match.

I know that BT Sport are in the business of selling subscriptions but, I for one, could not entertain the cost of my season ticket, the fuel for a 250 mile round trip and BT Sports :smt010
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

cidermark wrote:For me, and I suspect a lot of other Tigers supporters, is the issue that some of the kick off times make it impossible for me to attend. Case in point is the Harlequins match this season.

Whilst I agree that there is little that the club could do directly, I found it very difficult to justify renewing my season ticket for this season based on the number of games that I was unable to attend last season due to the kick off times. If others, like me, start to cancel their ST's or the overall attendances start to drop, then they will have to do something. Not only does it reduce direct revenue but also sponsors may start either drifting off or want to pay less to the club and the TV companies.

One possibility that might be negotiable with BT Sports could be to allow LTTV to stream the match over the internet. Season ticket holders could have free access and reduced price 'tickets' for non-ST supporters. Obviously prices and Ts and Cs would have to be thrashed out to find a balance so that the supporters would see this as an 'emergency' option rather than a replacement to attending the match.

I know that BT Sport are in the business of selling subscriptions but, I for one, could not entertain the cost of my season ticket, the fuel for a 250 mile round trip and BT Sports :smt010
To be honest that's unlikely to happen. Sky / BT pay for the internet rights as well and are not to give them up without a price being involved.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

So much for the opening sentence of the opening post on this thread.
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:So much for the opening sentence of the opening post on this thread.

I believe it's called a discussion :smt002