Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: 2014 - 2015 fixtures now out!!

Post by DickyP »

h's dad wrote:
Dave J wrote:I'm only human and I do admit that it still rankles with me that the largest rugby ground in the English club game doesn't have a match at England's world cup.

I should point out that whilst Saints have agreed the initial response from their supporters is far from favourable.
The Darlington Arena has a greater capacity that WR and has a pitch size that complies with RWC 2015 requirements. Perhaps they should be disappointed?

Although I am disappointed that RWC rugby is not coming to WR this time, I accept that rules should not be bent or broken to favour Leicester Tigers.
Why I should be expected to happy that WR doesn't comply with arbitrary RWC rules when it does comply with the laws of the game defeats me!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

DickyP wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Dave J wrote:I'm only human and I do admit that it still rankles with me that the largest rugby ground in the English club game doesn't have a match at England's world cup.

I should point out that whilst Saints have agreed the initial response from their supporters is far from favourable.
The Darlington Arena has a greater capacity that WR and has a pitch size that complies with RWC 2015 requirements. Perhaps they should be disappointed?

Although I am disappointed that RWC rugby is not coming to WR this time, I accept that rules should not be bent or broken to favour Leicester Tigers.
Why I should be expected to happy that WR doesn't comply with arbitrary RWC rules when it does comply with the laws of the game defeats me!
How on earth do you deduce that you are expected to be happy about it?

WR fails the RWC rules as it failed the HC rules for the knockout stages of that competition and in the same way that Old Deer Park failed the entry requirements for the AP despite complying with the LOTG.

Burbage, Old Newts and Sileby, amongst many others, all comply with the laws of the game. Your reasoning suggests that you expect they also should be permitted to hold world cup matches.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

We may have meandered away from the subject!
Any comments around the actual fixtures? Seems a shame that the Tigers v Saints is possibly going to be a dead rubber. Having said that, if it turns out to have a significant bearing on top 4 qualification or semi-final location, it could be epic!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

DickyP wrote:Why I should be expected to happy that WR doesn't comply with arbitrary RWC rules when it does comply with the laws of the game defeats me!
Oh, and you're wrong, WR doesn't comply with the laws of the game for matches between senior national representative teams.

(Apologies to L Smith)
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Didn't Tonga play against Italy at Welford Road in a World Cup game in the 90s?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tigerbeat wrote:Didn't Tonga play against Italy at Welford Road in a World Cup game in the 90s?
In 1999 as well as NZ v Italy in 1991. I don’t know if the laws were different then, an exception made, or an error. I’m fairly sure the pitch wasn’t bigger in those days.

How can we mere mortals get back on topic when the mods are joining in with our diversions?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Apologies for the comment ......if we can get back on topic that would be great. Newcastle have made a good number of signings....will be a tough game!

Can't wait for the opening game.....has been a long summer!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tigerbeat wrote:Apologies for the comment ......if we can get back on topic that would be great. Newcastle have made a good number of signings....will be a tough game!

I'm told they now have three Tuilagis on their books although presumably we won't be seeing them all in the first team this season.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

h's dad wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:Apologies for the comment ......if we can get back on topic that would be great. Newcastle have made a good number of signings....will be a tough game!

I'm told they now have three Tuilagis on their books although presumably we won't be seeing them all in the first team this season.
Who is the third Tuilagi they have? I know they signed Alex and Andy. I thought it would be 3 in the first game including Manu
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
h's dad wrote:

Who is the third Tuilagi they have? I know they signed Alex and Andy. I thought it would be 3 in the first game including Manu
I'm told the third Tuilagi to Newcastle is Brian.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

h's dad wrote:I'm told the third Tuilagi to Newcastle is Brian.
According to this website, Brian is still at the Tigers academy and I can find no evidence on the Falcons site or anywhere else on t'Interweb of him moving to Kingston Park.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
h's dad wrote:I'm told the third Tuilagi to Newcastle is Brian.
According to this website, Brian is still at the Tigers academy and I can find no evidence on the Falcons site or anywhere else on t'Interweb of him moving to Kingston Park.
Sorry, no evidence. Better shut up I think ("hear, hear" roars the crowd).
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

For L Smith. Smithy I just hope you are right but what a fantastic way to end the season at Welford Road apart of course for the home semi final match.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Noddy555 wrote:For L Smith. Smithy I just hope you are right but what a fantastic way to end the season at Welford Road apart of course for the home semi final match.
How familiar :smt002 !
Anyway, Nodster, I would not be so bold as to predict a home semi. Don't get me wrong, I really like our squad; masses of depth and quality. However, Sarries and Saints will be up there, Quins and Bath will also be able to trouble anyone on their day. Glaws and Sale will be tough prospects. If we don't improve our defence, we could be looking at a couple of hidings over the course of the season. I don't see anyone getting close to Sarries' points total from last year as the top half of the table will take points from each other. This should favour teams who can turn a result round in the latter part of a game: a trait that was synonymous with Tigers, but last year this seems to have subsided.
Let's hope the new defence coach does the business (without turning us into a boring, Sarries-esque unit)!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Smithy you have often accused me of being too pessimistic, are you catching the disease?