Welford Road Development?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

StaffordTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Welford Road Development?

Post by StaffordTiger »

Hi I was just reading up on Wikipedia that plans are to eventually take Welford Road up to a 30,000 capacity. Is there any news regarding the next phase of development for the ground? Would it be the Crumbie that gets the next stage of development?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Welford Road Development?

Post by sam16111986 »

I think that raising funds at a rate that is favourable for the club has been difficult. Added to that the rise of BT Sport has meant that more of the games are available on TV and that affects attendance. Until we have the big attendances there's no point adding to the capacity.

Plus the RFU screwed us over on the world cup coverage.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I've heard that plans are afoot to devlop the clubhouse side of the ground ready for September 2016 and to somehow squeeze more parking spaces in somewhere. I don't think finance will be a problem because apparently a new major sponsor is coming on board, but don't ask me who?
waster
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by waster »

I guess demand has a part to play. If all of the games are fully sold out way in advance then there would be a clear need to press on with the redevelopment but other than the usual ones which were sell outs: last couple of home fixtures, the old enemy from down the A50, HC pool games, Christmas fixtures etc availability wasn't too bad.

I must say, can't wait to get back, it seems a long summer talking about that funny old round ball game!

Still V dissapointed about the Rugby World Cup games being sent down the road.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Possibly moving in the right direction (slowly) for the demand to force the re-build. Last season we managed 5 x full houses (24,000) out of 11 home league games. Indeed only one other game in the entire AP season played at a team's home ground rather than Wembly/Twickers etc (LI v Bath on St Patrick's day) was better than our worst attendance!

Nevertheless, we still only averaged 22,800+ and had one game under 20,000, so there's a way to go yet.

Interesting for the proponents of summer rugby that the poor gates are invariably right at the beginning of the season when spectators still have other 'summer' things to do!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

DickyP wrote:Interesting for the proponents of summer rugby that the poor gates are invariably right at the beginning of the season when spectators still have other 'summer' things to do!
I, for one, would have a tough call to make between cricket and rugby.... :smt017
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

It's not just about putting extra capacity into the ground! The Crumbie stand/ABC bar/changing rooms etc are part of an old structure that is well past it's sell by date! The supporters/players & staff deserve better!
StaffordTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by StaffordTiger »

Noddy555 wrote:I've heard that plans are afoot to devlop the clubhouse side of the ground ready for September 2016 and to somehow squeeze more parking spaces in somewhere. I don't think finance will be a problem because apparently a new major sponsor is coming on board, but don't ask me who?
I would have thought the Crumbie would have been next in line for a new look. I've never sat/stood in there myself but I can only imagine the wear and tear showing.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

What you have to remember, is that what Noddy "hears" is less reliable than what I hear from the mistress of the taxi drivers brother in law!

WR critical issue is not ground capacity. It is pitch size and players facilities. To address these both the Crumbie and the "Allaince and Leicester" have to be rebuilt.

All of this is well documented on this forum and elsewhere. A new multi storey car park (on the site of the Crumbie Car Park) and a Hotel and Student Accoodation on the Grandby Halls site may provide sufficient finance for the overall development - which does include the club house end = although this is complcated by the listed status of the clubhouse. Additional capacity comes from fully utilising the "corners" of the ground.

Rebuilding thr Crumbie of itself reduces capacity.
Still keeping the faith!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sam16111986 wrote:I think that raising funds at a rate that is favourable for the club has been difficult. Added to that the rise of BT Sport has meant that more of the games are available on TV and that affects attendance. Until we have the big attendances there's no point adding to the capacity.

Plus the RFU screwed us over on the world cup coverage.
yes because Leicester Tigers facilities being in adequate are the fault of the RFU...
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Bill (2) reading your post on this subject bores me to tears. Most of what I've predicted as come to pass. So ye of little faith just quietly dissappear.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Noddy555 wrote:Bill (2) reading your post on this subject bores me to tears. Most of what I've predicted as come to pass. So ye of little faith just quietly dissappear.
Like playng two tighteheads, a Welsh participation agreement and a sponsor for the Pro 12. You should indeed weep.
Still keeping the faith!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

For ease of reference, this was the thread discussing the same subject a while back.

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... evelopment
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

For Bill(2) I will not comment on any of your future posts as I deem you have lost the plot and must be waiting for a knock on the door for those men in white coats just wanting to carry you away to the nearest loony bin.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Noddy555 wrote:For Bill(2) I will not comment on any of your future posts as I deem you have lost the plot and must be waiting for a knock on the door for those men in white coats just wanting to carry you away to the nearest loony bin.

Success!!

That means the forum will contain a lot less personal insults!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!