Tomkins returns to Wigan

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Tomkins returns to Wigan

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

According to Sky. http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... m-saracens - that'll give them some cap space, ahm.....
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tomkins returns to Wigan

Post by TigerLad »

Never understood the hype over the lad. Not strong, fast or particularly skillfull. He must feel awful about how this has worked out, he's missed a home rugby league World Cup and is now going to miss a home rugby union World Cup. I think his England career was over after his first two caps. He was dreadful, didn't get over the gain line and turned over possession almost every time he had the ball. After that kind of performance he was never really going to feature again and I think that's a key reason for him moving back to Wigan.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

He was never big enough to be second row, too inexperienced for back row and not fast or skilful enough for centre. Just shows that a good league player will not necessarily make a good union player. Will be interesting to see how Burgess gets on
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The success of RL converts seems to relate to their elusiveness - it seems to be the lads with good feet, not just good hands, that convert better.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

The 'Special Ones' reportedly paid £0.25m to get him, and then no doubt paid him a handsome salary.
I wonder what Wigan have paid to get him back.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

jgriffin wrote:The success of RL converts seems to relate to their elusiveness - it seems to be the lads with good feet, not just good hands, that convert better.
Totally agree - Jason Robinson sheer class and magical feet. Sonny Bill Williams - another star player with feet and hands. Eastmond looks good so far. Other than that, the only other person who has impressed cross-codes was Jonathan Davies and he started as Union so doesn't count :smt003
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

why has he done this he was playing for england at one stage even though he wouldnt of got back in the team. seems strange but then again lots of people do this now
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He's just big.
I do wonder if the primary reason for England picking him was because of the
"He used to play league so must be good" mentality.

What I saw of him was that he was a big lump that ended up in the centres in Union because he was too late to convert to flanker.

The big problem is that League and Union are so different that, almost irrespective of how good you are in one code, you may have no natural role in the other code. Union props being a good example - where would Dan Cole or Adam Jones play in a union side?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

mol2 wrote: - where would Dan Cole or Adam Jones play in a union side?
I think they would play at prop.

Dunno where they would play in league though!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Bristol Tiger wrote:Totally agree - Jason Robinson sheer class and magical feet. Sonny Bill Williams - another star player with feet and hands. Eastmond looks good so far. Other than that, the only other person who has impressed cross-codes was Jonathan Davies and he started as Union so doesn't count :smt003

There was an Aussie lad called Lote something ( :smt002 ) who wasn't too bad cross-code as I recall, and Wendell Sailor is another who successfully made the transition? Israel Folau is also looking like a potential success story but time will tell there.

Freddie Tuilagi also did pretty well in both codes (though as with Davies he started in Union).
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tjs10 wrote:
Bristol Tiger wrote:Totally agree - Jason Robinson sheer class and magical feet. Sonny Bill Williams - another star player with feet and hands. Eastmond looks good so far. Other than that, the only other person who has impressed cross-codes was Jonathan Davies and he started as Union so doesn't count :smt003

There was an Aussie lad called Lote something ( :smt002 ) who wasn't too bad cross-code as I recall, and Wendell Sailor is another who successfully made the transition? Israel Folau is also looking like a potential success story but time will tell there.

Freddie Tuilagi also did pretty well in both codes (though as with Davies he started in Union).
Agree, especially Tiquiri - but they all have good feet, and I think stand out in RL for that too.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Can he take the Farrell family with him too?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat