Manu to start on the wing ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Manu to start on the wing ?

Post by sapajo »

Lancaster considering starting Manu on the wing to make way for Burrell and Twelvetrees!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27753090
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu to start on the wing ?

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Arguably one of the best outside centres in the world and he wants to put him on the wing. With Burrell at outside centre Manu would not get the ball. Manu gives go forward from a static start, Burrell on the other hand is like a rabbit in headlights.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:Arguably one of the best outside centres in the world and he wants to put him on the wing. With Burrell at outside centre Manu would not get the ball. Manu gives go forward from a static start, Burrell on the other hand is like a rabbit in headlights.
Arguably one of...after last weekend, the pre-eminent may be more apt :smt001
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

A 12 playing at 13 and a 13 playing at 14. Not a great strategy in my book.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:Arguably one of the best outside centres in the world and he wants to put him on the wing. With Burrell at outside centre Manu would not get the ball. Manu gives go forward from a static start, Burrell on the other hand is like a rabbit in headlights.
:smt023 +1

I wish they would drop this ridiculous obsession. Woodward keeps bleating on about this also. I think it must be in every article he writes about England in the Daily Mail.

The problem is at 12 not 13. Barritt is very good defensively but gives no go forward especially in combination with a non-creative 10 i.e. Farrell. Twelvetrees is inconsistent - he plays really well for the odd game and then plays poorly or ineffectively for the next 2 or 3 just like he did at Tigers. Of the squad choices available we have seen how effective Eastmond and Manu could be and they are probably worth another outing on the strength of the 1st Test. However if this tour is about testing options then the one option we haven't seen is Burrell at 12 and Manu at 13.

As for wingers I believe May has peaked and (it pains me to say it) needs to be replaced by the in form Chris Ashton based on his record for Sarries this season. The other wing slot should remain with Yarde so that we can see whether he is the "real deal" against this class of opposition.

Whatever happens please, please don't move Manu to the wing!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Will S wrote:A 12 playing at 13 and a 13 playing at 14. Not a great strategy in my book.

Couldn't agree more.

Is it just me that doesn't buy the hype surrounding Twelvetrees at international rugby.

Burrell, Manu combo should be tried out.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

If Manu does start on the wing, perhaps he will notice the lack of service from greedy centres who try to break one gain line too many?
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I would prefer to see Burrell and Manu together in the centre.
Favourites will ultimately be England's downfall IMO!
It's all about ball in hand IMO and positive play.
If it's kicked away from 12 as is suggested why Twelvetrees may be prefered then I don't see this as a good way forward.
If anyone was to move to accomodate the talent I would give Eastmond a run out on the wing.
9. Care
10. Burns
11. Eastmond
12. Burrell
13. Manu
14. Yarde
15. Brown
My choice, but that will not happen!
Cheery chappy
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I just hope that SL's comment about Manu and the wing does not mean that he is considering having him on the bench covering centre and wing. The issue may be that if OF plays 10, then it may not work well with Burrell and Manu in the centres. An answer would clearly be to start with Burns or Cipriani - which is never going to happen. I also imagine Ashton would be delighted if he is dropped with Manu on the wing - it would be great to be a fly on the wall to see that conversation!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

My strong inclination is to play people in their best (ie Club) positions.

I would favour Burrell/Manu in the centres with 12T on the bench.

But if SL and his coaching team think it could work (and respected pundits like Woodward), then maybe it is worth a go, we can then all make an informed judgment one way or the other.

It would be a big call against the AB's however....

Even good a good footballer like Mike Brown really struggled to make an impact from the wing.
Soggypitch
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

For me Manu is a centre… but…

I don't have a problem if England try him on the wing… if it works then that is useful information for Tigers. Goneva plays equally well in midfield or wide so why not Manu? What we all know is that if the backs work a move well then the winger can get a 1 on 1… and who will stop Mr. T in that situation?

Surprised at the idea… but not against seeing how it operates in practice. In addition, I guess the England selectors know they are 'staked' at 12/13 (Burrell, 12T, Manu, Eastmond, possibly Burgess) with less options out wide, so better to try now than next year IMO.
AliB

Post by AliB »

This is an interesting topic - Manu is a world class centre but he also possesses attributes that would allow him to play on the Wing and he would probably make a very good number 8 as well!

I would be surprised if Tigers, having nurtured Manu since the academy did not know his best position. I think it is arrogant of England to think they know better.

Manu breaks the gainline, and when he isn't breaking the gainline he is creating holes, since on a decoy move he is always tracked by at least two players! By removing him from his best position you are losing out on these two key areas.

Also you want your best ball carriers getting the ball as much as possible - stuck out on the wing his carries will be far fewer.

Top class wingers have a sixth sense about being in the right place at the right time and often make long runs to nothing just to try to get in the right position - this will take time and experience of playing on the wing to achieve.

Having said all that I am sure Manu will do a great job on the wing but in my view he will do a far better job at centre so keep him there!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I think it is madness, you can be sure Manu will never see the ball. The AB's are smart enough not to kick long to him and their defence will ensure the ball the ball does not travel down the line.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Midfield is where Manu belongs, he takes two defenders to tackle him making holes for others on his shoulder or as a great decoy runner. A waste on the wing as he won't ever see the ball and if he does then the AB defence will drift and guide him into touch. This will take away one of the weapons in our armoury. If Lancaster wants to play a different winger, then stick Burrell on the wing and leave Manu in the centre. England are not flush with world class players so taking one out of the equation doesn't seem all that bright.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

A main worry about putting Manu out on the wing would be his positional play. Manu is not known for having the greatest positional awareness and sometimes gets a bit out of shape. Playing on the wing is much harder than many people realise especially when defending. You have to be aware of the oppositions kicking game and also work in tandem with the other winger and full back covering each other. There is a risk Manu could get massively caught out. Also not sure what he is like under the high ball which wingers have to field almost as much as full backs.

It will be interesting to see if New Zealand would target him with the high ball. They might see this as his weakness but they might think twice if he catches the first one and has a bit of time to build up speed when he carries it back!! :smt003