Manu to start on the wing ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu to start on the wing ?

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

L Smith wrote:As per previous posts, I never second guessed SL in trying Manu at 14 but I lost count of the times that the centres ponderously went 1 man out and the took the ball into contact, leaving Manu as a 1st man defending the ruck. For this experiment to work, we needed to run some creative lines, break the line, put a couple of inside passes together to draw the defense, then go out wide to the wrecking ball with a miss pass or cross field kick. 12trees was more miss than hit today. How about throwing a crazy one into the discussion; isn't Bowden eligible for selection? Just saying... ;)
maybe but he's banned now he doesn't play in England
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

BarmyBamford wrote:If Twelvetrees is the answer, at inside centre, what is the question ?
How do you get a backline moving with Farrell at 10?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

G.K wrote:
BarmyBamford wrote:If Twelvetrees is the answer, at inside centre, what is the question ?
How do you get a backline moving with Farrell at 10?
Shoot Farrell and bring on Burns?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

kingol22 wrote:Sorry I meant to say that they had played well enough in the six nations. And the things you point out as wanting from these players they largely delivered in the six nations, they deserved their shot today, the fact they did not perform is not the failure of management you seem to be making out it is. People are always to quick to blame the management for a bad result imo and I honestly think Lancaster will do a very good job through to the World Cup.
Exactly. You can't blame SL for picking the majority of players that were first choice in the Six Nations, and only missed the first test because they played well enough for their clubs that they got to the premiership final.

That being said, the selection for the final test will be interesting! As much as I admired the performance in the first test, NZ were much improved in this test, and I think they would have won regardless.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

The experiment of Manu on the wing - not much of one as we already know he can play there - was hardly a failure: he had the experience of many wingers in many matches in that nothing came his way. Certainly not a failure - just not a real success. If he's going to be played there then he needs to be used coming short on set pieces etc and not left as a wide player.

The centre pairing of 36 and Burell was shown to be weak defensively - something we already knew. We know from Tigers and Glos performance that 36 is a weak tackler and that is suicide against the ABs. Can't help but think the first week's 9,10,12,13 was a far better balanced and effective combination.

Yarde may have scored a try but looked distinctly dodgy defensively. Can't fault his effort - I'd just never have him in any team I picked. I reckon that if Manu plays on one wing then we need Foden on the other - gives real attacking flair from 'twin full backs' and quality defence.

My biggest disappointment was Care - as expected his kicking was erratic, but worse he looked devoid of invention and indecisive which why he was picked over the flair of BY.

Most impressive thing yesterday was how the ABs after two bad line-outs picked up on what the ref would allow them to do/get away with at the line-out and changed their approach 'on the fly' to indulge in constant interference and, realising that the ref was not in line with the line out didn't bother to try and throw straight. Very impressive game play/management but annoying.

And if you think England have problems - how about the Jocks?
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Looks like Farrell has a knee problem so no need to shoot him yet Big Dai :smt023 http://bit.ly/1hZnO36
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The All Blacks centre Conrad Smith will miss the third and final Test against England on Saturday because of a broken thumb.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/j ... st-england
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Farrell, Burrell, Twelvtrees, Care: all apparently struggling with injuries. Given they were the four stand out rubbish performers, and given the fact that Lancaster seems to really rate them, do I detect a face saving exercise.

Either way, if non of them play, good!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

northerntiger wrote:Farrell, Burrell, Twelvtrees, Care: all apparently struggling with injuries. Given they were the four stand out rubbish performers, and given the fact that Lancaster seems to really rate them, do I detect a face saving exercise.

Either way, if non of them play, good!
Some coincidence otherwise. Stuart Lancaster should go into politics (though I doubt even the Monster Raving Loonies - undercut somewhat by UKIP - would want him).
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

with the exception of Burrell and Faz - were the others fit to start?
cheers
Rich
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

now they are saying it could be a permenant thing having tulagi at 14. i dont think burrel was fit in the second half
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

i think on the wing is a mistake, the centres looked like revolving doors at the weekend, when he gets hold of you in a tackle you pretty much get stopped..
cheers
Rich
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

amazing tiger wrote:now they are saying it could be a permenant thing having tulagi at 14. i dont think burrel was fit in the second half
Other nations must be roaring with laughter at such idiocy. It's embarrassing at times......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:
amazing tiger wrote:now they are saying it could be a permenant thing having tulagi at 14. i dont think burrel was fit in the second half
Other nations must be roaring with laughter at such idiocy. It's embarrassing at times......
Not even Farrel/Lancaster cpould be that stupid?

Could they?

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Sadly yes. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.