Cockers is not going to be bringing in another TH.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Cockers is not going to be bringing in another TH.

Post by RagingBull »

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leice ... story.html

Good call actually, he is obviously thinking Cole will be back in Novemember.

And I argue the Baltrain needs to be trusted more, and I thought Pasquali looked very impressive against Sarries.

Cockerill added: "There is no point bringing in a journeyman for a few months. We have to let Fraser or Tiziano do that job.

"That is important, otherwise there is no point in building a squad.

"If Fraser is not given the opportunity or if Tiziano isn't given that opportunity, they will go somewhere else to get it."

Suppose with Benjmain and Camacho potentially out for a bit another utility back may be in order. and easier to come by than a TH prop.
Super User
Super User

Re: Cockers is not going to be bringing in another TH.

Post by 4071 »

Finally!

We don't need another back to cover for Benjamin/Camacho either. We were without both players for all but 10 games of this season and still had plenty of depth (Goneva, Morris, Tait, Thompstone, Hamilton, Scully). We didn't even need to pick an Academy player on the bench!

In the event of losing three further back-three players, we also have guys like Tuilagi, Smith and Burns who have played wing or fullback at Premiership level and can cover. And we do have an Academy, even though it is largely unused.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

4071 wrote:Finally!

We don't need another back to cover for Benjamin/Camacho either. We were without both players for all but 10 games of this season and still had plenty of depth (Goneva, Morris, Tait, Thompstone, Hamilton, Scully). We didn't even need to pick an Academy player on the bench!

In the event of losing three further back-three players, we also have guys like Tuilagi, Smith and Burns who have played wing or fullback at Premiership level and can cover. And we do have an Academy, even though it is largely unused.
I know we have an academy.

But with Purdy gone Rhys Williams is our next option who may still be a bit young but I think is an extremely talented player, but that it in terms of who is maybe ready for AP rugby.

Also I forgot about Loamanu who can play 6,8,11,13,14,15.

Don't need any unless cockers spots a talented youngster i.e. Heptema who I hope will get a shot more at 12 this year with Pohe aswell.

although I really like Smith I think he has gone down hill abit, Hamilton played some great rugby though.
Last edited by RagingBull on Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

4071 wrote:Finally!

Thought you may like this.

I agree entirely - hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
PAW

Post by PAW »

I like the idea of bringing the younger guys through - its not so long since a young pup called Dan Cole was give time despite having Castro & Julian. My only worry is if one or two get injured. Also, if Marcus is with Argentina until Novemember, then Logo may have to be considered for both LH and TH.
If you get injuries, you are looking at emergency cover in a smaller market than you have in the close season. Therefore, asking an old warhorse to at least sit on the bench and help mentor the young guys for six months maybe worth considering. Even if he can only rumble on and hold up the scrum for 15 mins, it takes some pressure off.
PAW

Post by PAW »

I like the idea of bringing the younger guys through - its not so long since a young pup called Dan Cole was give time despite having Castro & Julian. My only worry is if one or two get injured. Also, if Marcus is with Argentina until Novemember, then Logo may have to be considered for both LH and TH.
If you get injuries, you are looking at emergency cover in a smaller market than you have in the close season. Therefore, asking an old warhorse to at least sit on the bench and help mentor the young guys for six months maybe worth considering. Even if he can only rumble on and hold up the scrum for 15 mins, it takes some pressure off.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

PAW wrote:I like the idea of bringing the younger guys through - its not so long since a young pup called Dan Cole was give time despite having Castro & Julian. My only worry is if one or two get injured. Also, if Marcus is with Argentina until Novemember, then Logo may have to be considered for both LH and TH.
So beginning of the season we're looking at:

1.Rizzo
2.Youngs
3.Mulipola

16.Ghiraldini
17.Balmain
18.Pasquali

Not shabby at all. I'd expect Balmain to be getting increasing numbers of starts and game time too (fingers crossed) given he's proven himself capable at the top levels.

I do agree we look light after that - but if we do end up with an injury I'm sure we'll look at the market.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

kornboy130 wrote:So beginning of the season we're looking at:1.Rizzo2.Youngs3.Mulipola16.Ghiraldini17.Balmain18.PasqualiNot shabby at all. I'd expect Balmain to be getting increasing numbers of starts and game time too (fingers crossed) given he's proven himself capable at the top levels.I do agree we look light after that - but if we do end up with an injury I'm sure we'll look at the market.
Don't forget Tom Bristow also.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

voice of the crumbie wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:So beginning of the season we're looking at:1.Rizzo2.Youngs3.Mulipola16.Ghiraldini17.Balmain18.PasqualiNot shabby at all. I'd expect Balmain to be getting increasing numbers of starts and game time too (fingers crossed) given he's proven himself capable at the top levels.I do agree we look light after that - but if we do end up with an injury I'm sure we'll look at the market.
Don't forget Tom Bristow also.
Would have Bristow at LH replacement and Balmain TH replacement start of season.

Bristow has a lot of experience in the AP for a 21 year old when he played at Welsh.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I really don't want to be a prophet of doom but I hope we don't look back on this with regret. By November, We need to be in touching distance of a top 2 in the AP and on our way to securing a home semi in the Champions Cup. Squads win silverware: not teams.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Why would we - a few years ago Cole was a young whipper-snapper in the pecking order behind Castro and Julian. It's interesting to see Brookes on the plane down to NZ, with Balmain a late call up to the England XV - presumably due to the game time Brookes has had this season. In the long run though, it would be a brave bet against Balmain not winning more caps.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Bristow came off the bench and was a monster in the scrum for London Welsh last night. Good showing for him.

If we don't give the young guns a chance we'll lose them and end up replacing the journeyman we sign now with another journeyman after that as we wait for the academy to provide more talent. Back the young guys now and we could have ample front row resources for years to come.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

People are also forgetting centre George Catchpole who got some first team time last season and scored for England U-20s last week. Has a superb outside break.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

DickyP wrote:People are also forgetting centre George Catchpole who got some first team time last season and scored for England U-20s last week. Has a superb outside break.
Don't think people have forgotten just, centre isn't a issue whereas props are the main focal point atm.

thought he had a really good game, was interesting that despite @ Tigers Catchpole was 13 and Purdy was 14, whereas Catchpole despite being an injury call up started @ 14 and Purdy cam on from the bench @ 13. He score a great try and nearly pulled off a good chip near the try line.

Catchpole must have been impressing the right people in training.

with Stephenson @ 13 that U20 backline will look very dangerous.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

I suspect Cockers maybe seeing this period without Cole as a dry run for the world cup next year. See if the youngsters are up to the task, while still having Logo around, then he can make a more informed decision ahead of Ayerza, Cole and Logo missing the start of 2015/16 due to the world cup.
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God