Toulon v Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Toulon v Saracens

Post by Darc Tiger »

We must be very wary of the French spending power. If we come begging at Armitage's door, in a position where we have relative strength, a big barrier preventing big money French moves is significantly weakened.

Armitage made is choice by staying at Toulon, I don't think Lancaster and English rugby, can afford to back down.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

And what has Faslet learnt from this encounter?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

watching this game at my local rugby club i couldnt help but think why isnT armitage playing for England he is better than robshaw
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We now read in the press today that SL has 'left the door open' for Steffon Armitage. Whatever that means....... :smt005
http://tinyurl.com/nzgssqn
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Boudjellal thinks england (RFU) are stupid:

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... n-armitage

"It's good because it means he just plays for Toulon," Boudjellal told Sky Sports.

"But after that for England and with a World Cup coming up, you have to say you should pick your best players. Just because Jonny Wilkinson or Steffon Armitage play in France, it doesn't mean they aren't English. The coach can do what he wants but it's a stupid rule, really stupid. It's misplaced protectionism and today you're punishing players who aren't always choosing to play abroad for monetary reasons. When a player leaves his own country he feels for it more in his heart because he doesn't see it every day, he misses it even more. After all that though, it's England's choice."

Sky Sports News pundit and former England fly-half Stuart Barnes said he sympathised with the calls for Armitage, who won four turnovers against Saracens in an all-action display on Saturday, to play for England again.

But Barnes said the "bigger picture" of England's long-term control of their best players meant the RFU was right to stick to its guns.

Whilst I agree with Boudjellal regarding S.Armitage's form and that he should be playing for England, Would the Comic man be so supportive if England came calling for his English players during the season? or when/if England (representation) broke his English players? or when/if England affected the form of his English players and coached them differently?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I don't think many people will remember that game. Poor atmosphere and other than the tries the game was uneventful. Toulon never really looked troubled by Saracens and because of that the game was a bit of a non event. Great to see Castro get his hands on the HC as well. I think Toulon did to Sarries what Clermont couldn't. Clermont crumbled under Sarries defensive pressure, Toulon stayed calm and made sure they were playing in Sarries half. What has to be worrying for everybody else is that Toulon are only going to get stronger. As good as Sir Jonny is, Halfpenny and O'Connor will more than make up for his loss. Then you look at other signings they will make

Fabien Barcella from Biarritz Olympique
Eric Escande from Montpellier
Ian Evans from Ospreys
Mamuka Gorgodze from Montpellier
Guilhem Guirado from USA Perpignan
Leigh Halfpenny from Cardiff Blues
James O'Connor from London Irish
Gerhard Vosloo from Clermont Auvergne
Romain Taofifenua from USA Perpignan

I think we can beat anyone on our day but Toulon have to be favourites to win again next year.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

The quality coming off the Toulon bench was unbelivable, Williams, Orioli, Suta, the loss of Wilko will be felt but with Halfpenny you have a points machine and Giteau is a world class fly half and will slot in with ease, on there day a fully fit tigers team would match Toulon, it's just getting them all fit that's the problem. Wondering what tigers players would get into the current Toulon team, Manu, Crofty, Cole??
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Having been to ten HC finals over the years I have to say after a dodgy first half the second half came alive and the crowd was. Immense.

The atmosphere in the stadium at my end was awesome. The French sang and changed the whole game!

The atmosphere was one of the best I have know despite not being sold out.

With a game being played in the uk with an English club in the final it had the feel of being in France! T
Tv may not have picked it up but it was buzzing,

The standing ovatio for Jonny by English, welsh, French and a few Irish was awesome respect to the legend and a true gent
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Best team in Europe, but a victory for the quality of southern hemisphere players, with a couple of notable exceptions.

Got to feel for St.-Andre. He must know what Roy Hodgson feels like when watching Man City, Chelsea etc. Happy to be corrected, but I think there were more English players for Toulon than French!
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Toulon are not good for the French national side and France will pay for that over time I agree. They did have slightly more French players in than their squad last years final which I think had onlyone French player in the 22 from memory. This year there was a smattering , they certainly had a lot of English speakers, as, aus, English and sa and more going next year like half penny.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

jgriffin wrote: The Villa fan then noted B. Vunipola's extreme poor sportsmanship and said how his 'face like a smacked a$%e' and refusal to shake Wilko's hand only contrasted with the rest of the Sarries players who were very sporting.
Agree I thought Billy's lack of sportsmanship was appalling. I hope somebody balled him out and told him to get back on the pitch and show some sportsmanship. he can behave like a whipped dog later.

Steffon IMO knew the rules when he went to France. Like Toby he knew he was ruling himself out from England. he should not therefore have any complaints about not being picked and to be fair I am not aware that he has expressed any. If Steffon can be picked why not pick Toby for no 10 against NZ if he is fit?

My belief is that Steffon will be ignored until picking the WC squad when if he is still playing better than anybody else he will be picked but we shall see.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
harry broggers
Tiger Cub

Post by harry broggers »

Well played Toulon! Deserved winners. However, Rugby fields will be a poorer place without JW. Interestingly, we are now presented with the, slightly absurd, situation of an AP final contested by "winning isn't everything" Saracens and "perennial chokers" Saints. Looking forward to that....... :smt009
Harry Broggers
I'm typing & thinking at the same time......does it show?