Injuries !! - Cole, Camacho & Pearce!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Injuries !! - Cole, Camacho & Pearce!!

Post by Bunchy »

The merc has reported that Camacho and Cole need surgery and will be out until November ish - when will this end?
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicestertigers
Less is more....
Bundy

Re: Injuries !!

Post by Bundy »

Having never played for us the continued absence of Camacho won't be a mjor problem but Cole being out is much more so :smt013
suttyprop
Tiger Cub

Dan cole

Post by suttyprop »

Martin crowson just tweeted dan needs surgery on his neck and will be out until november sad news get well soon dan
5m pushover against the head!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

How do we manage to keep signing players that are immediately injured and don't play for us for the first season? Tait, Benjamin and now Camacho?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Laurence Pearce has come injured as well!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Dan cole

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I believe Jason Leonard had a similar problem during his playing career. He was operated on successfully and returned to play at the top level with no known ill effects. Here's hoping for the same for Dan.

In the meantime hope Tigers can use injury dispensation to sign an experienced and capable replacement so that all the load doesn't fall on Logo's broad shoulders.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I just posted in the transfer rumours thread about how I felt we were one more prop short. The 8 we have is good, but news like this suddenly makes things look less rosy. There was a comment Cockerill was still looking for another prop. This makes that a bit more important, and potentially just raised the calibre of prop we'll need. I thought a journeyman to be a steady pair of hands during internationals maybe even a project as Logo was when he arrived, however, we may need someone to provide a bit more than that.
This year due to injuries, we have been a little over reliant on our stating props. I thought next year with Cole returning and Rizzo arriving, we would see the workload shared a bit more, but with Ayerza off to the RC and Cole out, we suddenly look a little thin on experience.
Time to go shopping for a grizzly Saffa/Argentinian/Eastern European scrummaging animal.

As a prop myself, I've always taken pride in Tigers being dominant scrummagers, even more so during the Cole/Castro days, when we could inject some serious horsepower from the bench around the 55-60 minute mark, with no loss in scrum dominance. Must be soul destroying as an opposition prop.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I assume we will need an injury dispensation till after Xmas. There are some serious E.European props out there - but I wonder if Julian is getting the urge to help out :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Injuries !! - Cole, Camacho & Pearce!!

Post by DickyP »

The Dan Cole news is scarcely a surprise. November was always one of the possible return dates as it all depended on whether rest/no invasive treatment would work. Given that operation now and six months to recover takes us to November, it would seem that "November" now has the implications of the biblical "40 days and 40 nights" - ie, 'long, finite but indeterminate'.

With all of them, however, I hope RC continues to leave it longer rather than shorter to bring people back. Just look at the problems caused when he had to rush back part-fit backs last season in extremis - almost without exception they then got injured again.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I don't think Richard III is going to arrive back in Leicester in tip top condition either. What's Cockers up to?
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

There seems to be a suggestion that Tigers have an injury 'jinx'. None of this is a surprise in the modern game and I expect injuries in rugby to get worse and careers to end earlier and earlier in future. I can seriously see players over 30 as a rarity by 2020.

Austin Healey wrote a great article a few months back saying how players are getting too big and therefore the hits are causing more and more injuries. His solution was to speed up the game and in particular stop lots of scrum-resets, slow walks by forwards to line-outs, slow kick re-starts and less time for place kickers…. his view is that if the game was quicker and the ball was in play more often players would have to be fitter and leaner in order to keep up. I don't always agree with Austin but IMHO he is right here. I know Logo is a fan favourite at Tigers, but seriously the guy is overweight. Implement the above and he'd have to lose at least a couple of stone to compete.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Good idea but if the ball is in play more the players will have more collisions per match so likely to pick up more injuries, even if they are a bit lighter. Also have to bear in mind that a fast game will mean the players get tired quicker. A tired player going in for a tackle is a perfect way to get an injury.

If the cap was raised a bit then teams could get a stronger overall squad. This would give them the confidence to rotate better and also use their bench. Problem is that clubs with less depth in their squad rely too heavily on their stars who end up playing 80 minutes every week. The body just can't take it.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Sarries and Saints haven't suffered a great deal of injuries this year have they?

I thought Logo was looking a lot leaner in the latter part of the season!

I do agree about the line out. There should be a strict time limit. Scrums, we know about. It's often down to how the teams and ref work together. Multiple and slow resets just shouldn't happen.

As yet I don't think there is enough data to say injuries are occuring more frequently or are worse.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

voice of the crumbie wrote:I believe Jason Leonard had a similar problem during his playing career. He was operated on successfully and returned to play at the top level with no known ill effects. Here's hoping for the same for Dan.

In the meantime hope Tigers can use injury dispensation to sign an experienced and capable replacement so that all the load doesn't fall on Logo's broad shoulders.
Horrible description in his book. Problem at the back of the neck operated on from the front! EUCH! Brave chap!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Happily get rid of the two weak wingers. Benjamin looked great but is absolutely no use to us long term and Camancho is the same.. With a wage cap such injury prone players are best got rid of.