Injuries !! - Cole, Camacho & Pearce!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Injuries !! - Cole, Camacho & Pearce!!

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tomvarndell wrote:Happily get rid of the two weak wingers. Benjamin looked great but is absolutely no use to us long term and Camancho is the same.. With a wage cap such injury prone players are best got rid of.
Camacho I have sympathy with - we signed him before he was crocked on international duty but Benjamin didn't seem to come to us with a history of injury problems. I do wonder, sometimes, if we're the architects of our own downfall with the notoriously hard contact training sessions. Are these the cause of some of our injury problems, perhaps?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tomvarndell wrote:Happily get rid of the two weak wingers. Benjamin looked great but is absolutely no use to us long term and Camancho is the same.. With a wage cap such injury prone players are best got rid of.

How on earth does Benjamin have no use long term????
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

You been reading the tea leaves again :smt017
St John Tiger
Tiger Cub

Dan Cole possi out for another six months due to neck injury

Post by St John Tiger »

Dan Cole could be out until November after being told he will need surgery on a neck problem which has dogged him for months. Cole missed the final four months of the season after a problem flared up in training with England. Tigers had hoped a prolonged rest would help him make a full recovery, but now the Leicester Mercury reports that Cole will require surgery on a bulging disc that is trapping a nerve in his neck. This is bad news and reminds me of the Manu injury, prolonged due to the delay in having the operation. Perhaps Tigers need to review the medical "experts" they are using as this delay potentially could be bad for Tigers next season.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The IRB has actively contributed to the injuries by generally slowing the game down (especially the ruck and scrum changes), permitting all sorts of abuse by failure to train refs properly and not widening the offside area. the latter may seem paradoxical but it is the suffocating defences that are constantly offside that crreate the need for huge ball carriers in the backs. This then feeds into huge collisions instead of incisive and evasive running. The biggest change for me would be to properly yellow card contact at the breakdown that does not involve coming through the gate and binding on while still on ones feet. This would IMO speed up ball movement by stopping the flopping and interference from all angles currently permitted.
Policing the offside line would also help hugely - it would make some defensive strategies slightly less effective (e.g. Saffacens and others corral defence).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

ourla wrote:
You been reading the tea leaves again :smt017
Or sniffing them perhaps? Daft comment. :smt019
St John Tiger wrote:Perhaps Tigers need to review the medical "experts" they are using as this delay potentially could be bad for Tigers next season.
Avoidance of unnecessary invasive surgery should always be a priority over slicing up a player to get them back as quickly as possible. Perhaps you should consider the ramifications of major surgery, as much as the medical experts that you question inevitably do, before making such comments. Given that you question the expertise of the medical staff, I imagine you are yourself somewhat an expert in the medical field? If not then your comment is a fair way out of line, and if you are it strikes me as fairly daft.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Youngtiger, another persons opinion that differs from yours doesn't make them daft.

We have to operate within a strict wage cap. Benji is the Darren Anderton of rugby and we have plenty of other wingers who are far more robust. Can we justify his wages? When he's fit he's class but that is not my point. To a lesser degree if Tom Croft gets injured again in the foreseeable future and is out for months then I would apply the same question to his worth given his wages. I know all players get injured but some are far more injury prone than others.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Benjamin has no history of being Injury prone before Leicester did he?
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Tomvarndell wrote:Youngtiger, another persons opinion that differs from yours doesn't make them daft.

We have to operate within a strict wage cap. Benji is the Darren Anderton of rugby and we have plenty of other wingers who are far more robust. Can we justify his wages? When he's fit he's class but that is not my point. To a lesser degree if Tom Croft gets injured again in the foreseeable future and is out for months then I would apply the same question to his worth given his wages. I know all players get injured but some are far more injury prone than others.
That's why I don't reply to all comments calling them daft. Questioning his value would be a fair comment, describing him as "absolutely no use to us" is daft. Though he's of little use to us when he's not playing, but he most certainly is when he's playing, and you've simply ruled him out despite not knowing the situation. Also, given his quality and where he was bought from, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually offers very good value for his quality (which then is obviously lessened by his absence) but that's another factor you've ignored whilst writing him off. I look forward to him (hopefully) proving you dead wrong :smt001
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Just try to be patient with Benjamin & hope he comes good for us a little like we were with Mat Tait!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Just seen a headline in Mercury another long term injury. Headline says Miles Benjamin but picture is of Niki Goneva, any ideas as to who it is that's injured? Clearly with such a big story to cover like the City reserve goalkeeper whose mum doesn't like his beard to cover one can see how the Mercury staff could be distracted!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

ourla wrote: As yet I don't think there is enough data to say injuries are occuring more frequently or are worse.
All the available data suggests that injuries are occuring more frequently, and there is a year-on-year increase in the number of career-ending injuries.

But apart from that....
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

kpj tiger wrote:Benjamin has no history of being Injury prone before Leicester did he?
He had a couple of long lay-offs (a month or two) but nothing like this.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Tomvarndell wrote:Youngtiger, another persons opinion that differs from yours doesn't make them daft.

When he was a young man at Falcons, Phil Dowson missed almost two season of rugby due to multiple but unrelated injuries. But he's been consistently injury-free for the last 5 seasons. Is he injury-prone was he temporarily unfortunate?

Hoe about Geoff Parling? Time to bin him because he's had a few long-term injuries? Or stick with him because he's a world class player who had a few injuries one after another?

How about Toulon buying Jonny 'Glass-bones' Wilkinson? They must be regretting picking up that injury-prone lemon, now... right?

Undeniably some players are injury-prone. But they usually suffer the same injury over again and end up retiring early as a result. Most players suffer injuries - often a lot of injuries - but there is an element of luck to it. A player can have a run of misfortune with injury without being prone to injury (or having a specific weakness that consistently fails). With no insight into the medical situation, its really hard to tell one situation from the other.

We do know that Corbisiero is a risky option. Not because he's often injured, but because it's always his knees. That's a problem. Johnny's unlucky run was not an underlying issue - it was just bad luck.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Didn't Benjamin score five tries in ten games? That's a ridiculous try scoring return. He's had two nasty injuries in game. That's bad luck. The guy has a natural ability when finding the try line we need to get him fit as he is the kind of player that will get us the bonus points to wins we need. He showed decent mettle against Ulster as well.