Citing for Owen Williams

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Citing for Owen Williams

Post by sapajo »

Citing for Leicester flyhalf Owen Williams. Alleged eye-gouge of Luther Burrell.

Tweeted by Alastair Eykyn today :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Citing?

Post by h's dad »

sapajo wrote:Citing for Leicester flyhalf Owen Williams. Alleged eye-gouge of Luther Burrell.

Tweeted by Alastair Eykyn today :smt017
I don't know about this. I understand it would be very out of character. Also, I don't know much about twitter but on the tweet (or near it) it says
"Simon Kirby ‏@simonkirby86 29m

@zoemitch_ @alastaireykyn he's been red carded and will undoubtedly get banned for it. Don't be mistaken, none of it has a place."

As far as I'm aware OW has never had a red.

Confused and concerned.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Will Chignell has released the citing fir Owen Williams in the 64th minute......he had only been on the pitch for just over a minute.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Well, I've just watched the incident. Williams over the ball in a ruck, Burrell comes to clear him out and that's the end of it. Burrell must have made the complaint as it's impossible to see anything else.

It'll probably result in a ban because evidence is apparently an optional extra; if it does, it'll be a travesty of justice given the Melck incident. If Williams is banned, the RFU should be ashamed of themselves, as should Burrell and Northampton for raising such a spurious claim and forcing this citing (I am in no doubt that this is the case).
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

At what time in the game did this happen....struggling to find it!!
www.matthampson.co.uk
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tigerbeat wrote:At what time in the game did this happen....struggling to find it!!
Exactly! It was just a (very) short time after Williams came on. You'll notice Burrell squaring up to Williams as play moves on and this is the best marker I can give for identifying where the phantom gouge happened.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Just seen the incident and he is over the ball and a Saints players hits his shoulder forcing him back....his hand making contact with the face......no intention and certainly caused by the impact of the tackle.......citing officer can call it but hope that it is thrown out.....let the panel decide
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

If Saints did make an allegation that led to this citing then in my opinion this should be disclosed at the hearing. If it is not upheld then a sanction should be made against the Saints for making this allegation as this is the only way to put an end to this type of behaviour. Otherwise it gives carte blanche to any team trying to throw enough mud in the hope that some may stick.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

If the same concept as contact in the air applies, I don't know if it does, then it would surely be an offence to have one's hands near the face of another player if contact is then made with the eyes because if they weren't there the contact wouldn't have happened. The Melck case is different because it was concluded that no contact took place.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

sapajo wrote:If Saints did make an allegation that led to this citing then in my opinion this should be disclosed at the hearing. If it is not upheld then a sanction should be made against the Saints for making this allegation as this is the only way to put an end to this type of behaviour. Otherwise it gives carte blanche to any team trying to throw enough mud in the hope that some may stick.

I agree with this. If the allegation is not upheld the club should be fined £100K and the player given a 13 week ban.
Still keeping the faith!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill W (2) wrote:
sapajo wrote:If Saints did make an allegation that led to this citing then in my opinion this should be disclosed at the hearing. If it is not upheld then a sanction should be made against the Saints for making this allegation as this is the only way to put an end to this type of behaviour. Otherwise it gives carte blanche to any team trying to throw enough mud in the hope that some may stick.

I agree with this. If the allegation is not upheld the club should be fined £100K and the player given a 13 week ban.
Seconded. But such a backlash if Williams is found to be guilty will not go down well with Lancaster as his favourite pet will not be at his disposal. The result, Williams will be banned just to save face(s, of Burrell, Mallinder, Lancaster).

Cynical? Me?
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Getting a little carried away with bitterness and mud slinging all round IMO!
The players probably do not even know what actually happened. Burrell probably got some fingers in his face and accidently or not simply took offence to it in the heat of battle and most likely mentioned afterwards or spotted as a potential offence leading to an investigation. Simple as that!
Cheery chappy
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Boy Dave wrote:The players probably do not even know what actually happened.
So why allow Burrell to drag a young, talented (envy?), and clean player's name through the mud? When Youngs accused Ma'afu of biting in the previous game it was in the heat of the moment (and he should have been more careful with his accusations). Our DoR put an end to it swiftly. Can the same be said for Saints' man at the top?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Boy Dave wrote:Getting a little carried away with bitterness and mud slinging all round IMO!
The players probably do not even know what actually happened. Burrell probably got some fingers in his face and accidently or not simply took offence to it in the heat of battle and most likely mentioned afterwards or spotted as a potential offence leading to an investigation. Simple as that!
Agreed it is one amongst a number of possible scenarios yet to be established but it remains just that.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:The players probably do not even know what actually happened.
So why allow Burrell to drag a young, talented (envy?), and clean player's name through the mud? When Youngs accused Ma'afu of biting in the previous game it was in the heat of the moment (and he should have been more careful with his accusations). Our DoR put an end to it swiftly. Can the same be said for Saints' man at the top?
Alas no!

But therein lies much!

:smt009
Still keeping the faith!