Citing for Owen Williams

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DanDan

Re: Citing for Owen Williams

Post by DanDan »

Unfortunately our sport needs discipline and at times players have to be judged, however the current system shows its own flaws by the decisions and verdicts given by the panels. There appears no differentiation between an intentional act a careless act or an accidental act when a player pleads guilty.

A player can find themselves having to plead guilty to avoid an even lengthier ban when they know the evidence, if there is anymore than mere suspicion by a touch judge referee or the citing commissioner will show an act has occurred even when it it is an accident.

Players therefore are not necessarily guilty of anything more than being a bit clumsy or of accidentally making contact with a player when they have pleaded guilty.

The burden of proof appears lower than a court of law and can have huge consequences on a players career and a teams season.

It must be time that the RFU and the teams and players associations work together to improve the system if they are not already doing so.
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Christophelp wrote:But then a citing only occurs when the citing officer feels there is a case to answer.
Or the opposition clubs officers....

http://www.rfu.com/~/media/files/thegam ... dix_4_2013
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

AidanMcDowell wrote:No doubt there's an obvious answer to this question but it's just not occurring to me at the moment...how does a 6 week ban take him to 2 September? If it's only in effect during weeks when there are actually eligible matches being played, did this also apply last year to Hartley?
It did.
http://www.rfu.com/thegame/discipline/j ... may13.ashx

I tried to copy the relevant section but the formatting went crazy.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

[quote="snoopster"][quote="AidanMcDowell"]No doubt there's an obvious answer to this question but it's just not occurring to me at the moment...how does a 6 week ban take him to 2 September? If it's only in effect during weeks when there are actually eligible matches being played, did this also apply last year to Hartley?[/quote]

It did.
http://www.rfu.com/thegame/discipline/j ... may13.ashx

I tried to copy the relevant section but the formatting went crazy.[/quote]

Thank you Snoopster, paragraph 16 of your linked document explained it all very clearly.
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

cidermark wrote:
Christophelp wrote:But then a citing only occurs when the citing officer feels there is a case to answer.
Or the opposition clubs officers....

http://www.rfu.com/~/media/files/thegam ... dix_4_2013
What you have linked states the following, in relation to Premiership and Championship 1st XV Games:

6. A Club participating in a match may refer to the Citing Commissioner any incidents in that match that they want the Citing Commissioner to consider, within the timescales set out below:
Premiership – 4 hours of conclusion of the match
Championship – 8 hours of conclusion of the match

7. A Citing Commissioner alone shall have the power and responsibility to cite a player whom the independent video and/or other evidence shows to have committed an act of Foul Play whether or not it has been detected by the Match Officials.

So a club can refer an incident to the Citing Commissioner but whether or not a player is cited as a result of this referral is the responsibility of the Citing Commissioner alone.

So (playing Devil's Advocate) if Saints did refer the incident to the Citing Commissioner, he did not automatically have to cite Williams.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Christophelp wrote:
So (playing Devil's Advocate) if Saints did refer the incident to the Citing Commissioner, he did not automatically have to cite Williams.
But as the incident is so unclear, he would not have been in any position other than to pass the buck upstairs.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Bring back HHJ J. Blackett!!

:smt026
Still keeping the faith!
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Bill, you are starting to amuse me. :smt007

Why bring back said Judge?

And more than a one sentence reply, if possible? :smt025
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Has anybody noticed that Tigers have not yet commented on the ban on the web site?

Perhaps they are considering an appeal (on the length of ban), or is that not possible for a guilty plea?

Feel really sorry for Williams, but as B Jones said on Radio Leicester tonight, it will be character building!
Soggypitch
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/194 ... 4Y6GNq9KSM

Was posted on the website this morning
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Tigerbeat wrote:http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/194 ... 4Y6GNq9KSM

Was posted on the website this morning
Sorry missed that! What a farce Owen banned until Sept 2 for an accident and the Saints prop is playing in the final on Saturday, following a one week ban for two punches that Joe Frasier would have been proud of!!!!
Soggypitch
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Phil B wrote:Bill, you are starting to amuse me. :smt007

Why bring back said Judge?

And more than a one sentence reply, if possible? :smt025
I am delighted that I have given someone somewhere some amusement!

HHJ JB did not always make decisions that I agreed with. And his decision to play politics was likely ill advised.

Nonetheless he always struck me as "reasonable". Albeit I did not always agree with him.

The one week for a deliberate punch to the head and six weeks for an accidental contact with the forehead in the same match and with the same officials and same panel is manifestly unreasonable.

So I say again bring back HHJ JB!!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The problem of course is that unintentional contact gets a lengthy ban, intention to maim (Umaga & Mealamu on BOD with full TV coverage) gets nowt. An inverse punishment system.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerref

Post by Tigerref »

Rugby has always been soft on punches when the two players are on their feet squaring up to each other. What it doesn't like is the cheap shot and punishes that more severely.

Like it or not OW made contact with the face/ eye region. We know this because he admitted it.

Rugby rightly considers this as a serious offence and places a onus on all players to not make this contact in the first place.

The accidental nature of the contact is a red herring - the test would be whether it was reckless.

The video I have seen makes it really hard to comment further on this one - unless anyone else has got more detailed footage?
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Did he admit it or simply plead guilty?

Pleading guilt doesn't mean that you have, necessarily, done anything wrong, just that you have been advised that you will probably be found guilty, so take the hit and hope for a reduced sentence.