Callum Clarke

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Callum Clarke

Post by Bud »

Nik, I find it hard to understand how on one hand you can say the person posting physical threats to Saints players and fans is a "good bloke", whilst being so angry about Clark? Seems a bit weird to me.
Ed
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Bud wrote:Nik, I find it hard to understand how on one hand you can say the person posting physical threats to Saints players and fans is a "good bloke", whilst being so angry about Clark? Seems a bit weird to me.
This.
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Mmm, lots of stuff here which I won't get drawn in to but the one point I will say is this; what did Cockers do wrong?

If he (or any Saints player) had posted a message to Tigers as a whole I could understand it borne out of frustration of losing so much and finally getting a win. But he aimed it squarely at Cockers....whose crime was?
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

I have to say that I didn't realise it was bside that had threatened Clarke, i dislike threatening behaviour whether it be physically OR verbally.

So I totally withdraw my support of bside.

I hope I have made my position clear.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

Your point is Iain?
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

TigerintheCatStand wrote:Mmm, lots of stuff here which I won't get drawn in to but the one point I will say is this; what did Cockers do wrong?

If he (or any Saints player) had posted a message to Tigers as a whole I could understand it borne out of frustration of losing so much and finally getting a win. But he aimed it squarely at Cockers....whose crime was?
This all happened at the LV cup final where Clarke broke Robs elbow, there was a splat in the ground between Dorian Doris West and Cockers over the incident where Cockers told Clarke what he thought of what he did.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Worth reappraising yourselves with Cockerills comments after the sentencing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17587425

and also worth reading this interview with Clarke shortly after his return:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/j ... alum-clark

Cockerill made some strong statements about the incident at the time but it's clear that once the punishment had been meted out the matter was over.

Based on the second article it's clear that Clarke is not thick. He has no presumably finished his degree that was interupted by his rugby career. It's also clear his behaviour could have been corrected earlier...
He winces at a reminder that, in 2008, while playing for England in the final of the junior World Cup, he was sent off for a disturbing head-butt. "Yeah," he says, looking mortified, "I didn't understand the seriousness of what had happened.
At one point he seems still slightly in denial, feeling the victim he claims he doesn't want to be seen as...
"It was 10 months ago and you're the first person who's asked me about [the actual incident]. I've bitten my tongue a long time. People who know me and who stood by me know what happened."
But reading on it seems, not surprisingly, it's just still hard to open up completely but that he knows it was a massive error...
If Clark won't describe what happened in the depths of that ruck, he can at least be persuaded to return to the lessons he has learned. Asked if he has changed as a result, he leans forward intently. "As a 23 -year-old bloke still young in my career it's not been easy to deal with. But the biggest thing I've learned is that when you're in trouble and you've done something wrong, or something bad has happened, then the first person you have to look at is yourself. It's easy to look away and try to find someone else to blame."

Gathering confidence again, and looking up, Clark admits that, "At the start, I was thinking: 'Oh God, why is this happening to me?' But then, speaking to the right people who've had a big influence on me, I came to the realisation that I was the one who was responsible for me ending up in that situation. You might not like the outcome but your own actions have put you there. As a young lad that's a really important lesson. Some people go through their whole lives without realising that.

"But, of course, I honestly wish I'd never done anything like that. That's the first thing to say. I spoke after the game about how sorry and ashamed I was. It had a huge effect on me. Each time the lads took the field without me you're sat there – very aware of the reason why you're not playing. You think about that for 32 weeks and it gets ingrained into your brain. But I have to move forward now. You can't be negative about it forever."
There is of course a big irony in that last statement given his tweet after the game on Friday. And really, if he seriously wants to put the past behind him he should make it his last.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

I also spoke to rob Hawkins after the incident and he told me that Clark's apology was not sincere he only apologised because he had too.
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Yes I was aware of the comments Nik, but thank you for the reply (and Ourla too). I remember Cockers talking to Clarke at the time the trophy was being presented after that LV= Final and you could tell something was a foot but as I said earlier Cockerill's crime was what exactly......wishing the RFU disciplinary process to follow its course in dealing with this matter?

If Clarke's tweet was because he blamed Cockers for his ban then the guy well I think he needs to have a long hard think about things. More disturbingly based on that any any insincerity of his apology why is he playing for, let alone captaining, Saxons?
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Must admit that for most crimes it's best to look at the players involved and see how they react in the cold light of day: Manu's tiff with Ashton, even Ashton tugs on Alex's hair, and last friday's little bust up all are 'put-to-bed' with the culprits getting their just deserts (and the opposition claiming that he got off lightly). And those involved publicly having a beer (or metaphoric equivalent).

However, there are just one or two (very rare) incidents that stick in the craw and are way beyond even the most violent variants of the above: Duncan McRae's assault on Ronan O'Gara on the 2001 Lions Tour; the pile driver administered to BOD on the 2005 Lions 1st Test; Serge Betsens career blighting deliberate trip on Stuart Abbot, and Clarke's assault on Hawkins.

Even these, however, wouldn't stop me enjoying sitting next to the normal supporters of the teams these unmentionables represent. I've had some wonderful interchanges with opposing fans and the day this stops signals the end.
Last edited by DickyP on Thu May 22, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
joeybside
Tiger Cub

Post by joeybside »

My own opinion about Clark is not a view that is shared by the Ultras page as a whole nor the members in it.

Whereas i am not apologising for my dislike and my feelings of the player concerned, I apologise unreservedly to our club, the players and anyone represented with the club for my language used and unsavoury incident as a whole. Whereas I accept that opposition fans have a right to defend their player and team, I don't accept that deliberately braking a players arm isn't a big issue, part of the game and the attempts to defend his actions are a disgrace.

I happily accept the abusive comments received personally given my own. I will not however stand for any comments made towards or about my two year old son and i make NO apology for my replies where applicable. Not one person has the right to do that whoever they think they are.

Little bit about me. I was born in 1975. Went to my 1st Tigers game in 1979. Was ever present at every home game and many away games until about '97/'98. Returned to the Crumbie around '01 until '07 and the opportunity to manage a decent football side until '09. My mentality is around winning at all costs regardless of the sport so is nothing to do with football as a whole. This stood me in good stead on the Rugby field when I played a little a long time ago as well as on the Cricket pitch. This is the same in business as well.
LEICESTER TIGERS ULTRAS

FB: Leicester Tigers Ultras

Twitter @tigersultras
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

Good one joey - some people live in glass houses and behind a PC however when called out they hide again.

I've been verbally abused on this site both openly on the board and threatening private messages but that person wouldn't meet me to threaten me in front of my husband - funny what the cyber world can do to little people with a big attitude.

This forum is rightly for rugby and rugby sport lovers, so I think instead of slagging people off via the cyber world let's get back to what we do best and that is supporting Leicester Tigers.

Thank you.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

joeybside, Well done for apologising.
the attempts to defend his actions are a disgrace
Who has defended his actions please? As far as I am aware everyone including the player has accepted that his actions were wrong.
joeybside
Tiger Cub

Post by joeybside »

ourla wrote:joeybside, Well done for apologising.
the attempts to defend his actions are a disgrace
Who has defended his actions please? As far as I am aware everyone including the player has accepted that his actions were wrong.
I received a number of tweets from Saints fans defending the player and the issue at hand. I'm sure that these people are of the minority though and that the majority accept it was completely wrong
LEICESTER TIGERS ULTRAS

FB: Leicester Tigers Ultras

Twitter @tigersultras
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Nik wrote:I've been verbally abused on this site both openly on the board and threatening private messages but that person wouldn't meet me to threaten me in front of my husband - funny what the cyber world can do to little people with a big attitude.
:smt017 So it's Not OK to hide behind a PC but it is OK to hide behind you're husband? :smt017