A Saints victory for Dignity!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: A Saints victory for Dignity!

Post by TigerAlex »

Don't think there's anything wrong with Ma'afu's tweets. Yeah, an explicit apology to Youngs is missing, but if he said it to him in person, then I don't see why he would need to tweet it to him as well. Besides, the 'I owe you a pint' implies apology. The general tweet is (as I read it) an apology to the fans and players he let down and a public acknowledgement that his actions were unacceptable and not to be replicated by other players (particularly any impressionable kids who may have seen it).

No harm done in the end, fair play. He'll get a ban and let that be the end of that one.

Personally, I think that those tweet from Youngs, Ma'afu, Bowden and Collins reflect well on them and their teams and the sport in general.

I hope the Tigers 'Ultra' fan gets himself a lifetime ban sooner rather than later because that type of 'fan' has no place in rugby. However, Clark is still an idiot. He shouldn't have responded. He was not gracious in victory in the first place and if that had been tweeted by one of our players, you Saints fans would have been up in arms. Clark needs to accept that with his history he's not going to be given the benefit of the doubt as other players might and he should keep his head down. In fact, up until yesterday, I thought he'd done a fairly good job of rehabilitating himself. The attempted strikes with the knees and the follow up tweets show that the unpleasantness is still there though, however deeply he's trying to hide it.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerAlex wrote:Don't think there's anything wrong with Ma'afu's tweets. Yeah, an explicit apology to Youngs is missing, but if he said it to him in person, then I don't see why he would need to tweet it to him as well. Besides, the 'I owe you a pint' implies apology. The general tweet is (as I read it) an apology to the fans and players he let down and a public acknowledgement that his actions were unacceptable and not to be replicated by other players (particularly any impressionable kids who may have seen it).

No harm done in the end, fair play. He'll get a ban and let that be the end of that one.

Personally, I think that those tweet from Youngs, Ma'afu, Bowden and Collins reflect well on them and their teams and the sport in general.

I hope the Tigers 'Ultra' fan gets himself a lifetime ban sooner rather than later because that type of 'fan' has no place in rugby. However, Clark is still an idiot. He shouldn't have responded. He was not gracious in victory in the first place and if that had been tweeted by one of our players, you Saints fans would have been up in arms. Clark needs to accept that with his history he's not going to be given the benefit of the doubt as other players might and he should keep his head down. In fact, up until yesterday, I thought he'd done a fairly good job of rehabilitating himself. The attempted strikes with the knees and the follow up tweets show that the unpleasantness is still there though, however deeply he's trying to hide it.
Wise words TigerAlex :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

What many grasp is that most of the players are pals, either quite literally or in the spirit of rugby. Some don't get it, and some - like Clark - are beyond rehabilitation.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Snuffy wrote:Richard Cockerill could learn a thing or two from Jim Mallinder, a gentleman. All those mind games and words throughout the week, and now look who is eating them?

Cockers didn't show Jim Mallinder or the Saints the respect they deserved. His interviews and comments were not sincere, and he was too confident of the victory!
No, they were just common sense. Why on earth would Tigers want to got to Sarries for a semi final?

From what I can see, Saints fans seem to know very little about the wider world of rugby! :smt003 :smt003
Louis

Post by Louis »

I hope the Tigers 'Ultra' fan gets himself a lifetime ban sooner rather than later because that type of 'fan' has no place in rugby.
I could not agree more, TigerAlex. Thanks for saving me some typing! :smt002
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Some people don't get rugby, you spend most of a match trying to knock lumps out of your opposite number and he's the first person you look for after the game to have a drink with, especially if it's been a "fractious" afternoon.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

When Fautaliki left the field on Friday, Ben Youngs gave him a well played tap on the back. Great sportsmanship even in the heat of battle. Some allow the heat of the battle to overtake their emotions.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

At the end of the match most players were laughing and joking with one another, especially the SH players. I only see a problem between RC and DW tbh. I feel that all Saints fans will enjoy the day out but as the way Saffas are playing feel will blow them away by 60 mins!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

WiggoTiger wrote:At the end of the match most players were laughing and joking with one another, especially the SH players. I only see a problem between RC and DW tbh. I feel that all Saints fans will enjoy the day out but as the way Saffas are playing feel will blow them away by 60 mins!!
I agree largely, although I think JM is part of the problem (e.g. use of Lawes as a No10 off-the-ball enforcer). Apart from at a personal level with DW (e.g. not on the same park in charity games), Cockers has grown up and out of any previous friction.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
APM16

Post by APM16 »

:smt002
Jim Mallinder, a gentleman
:smt002

One-eyed Saints fans - send him along to the Comedy Festival in February - and he can entertain us witht he tale of how Saints lost 3 finals in a year. :smt023
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Cockers has done nothing wrong IMO - mainly a few of the press spinning things out of context. He has had a good season as head coach and long may it continue.

I sincerely hope Saints win the Prem Final, Sarries win the HC and Bath win the Amlin.

My hope for next season is that we return refreshed and have less injuries. I would also hope that following a Prem win that those few Saints fans that seem to get so wound up about Tigers have calmed down a bit and we can just enjoy our neighbourly rivalry
Jez

Only Winners Win!
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Tigerbeat wrote:When Fautaliki left the field on Friday, Ben Youngs gave him a well played tap on the back. Great sportsmanship even in the heat of battle. Some allow the heat of the battle to overtake their emotions.

I spotted that too, good stuff :smt001

P.s. It's Fotuali'i- it sounds like it's spelt= Fo-too-a-lee-ee. Thanks. :smt006