CONCUSSION RULES and fixture fixing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

CONCUSSION RULES and fixture fixing

Post by APJones »

After picking up knocks in last Saturday's game at Welford Road and the decision to move this semi-final fixture to a Friday evening ahead of the European finals next weekend, Tigers players Geoff Parling, Rob Hawkins, Blaine Scully and Boris Stankovich are all unavailable for selection due to concussion protocols.

I assume our players will be OK for the final !
Or will THEY find another reason to cock things up for us ?
Last edited by APJones on Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: CONCUSSION RULES and fixture fixing

Post by sapajo »

APJones wrote:QUOTE
After picking up knocks in last Saturday's game at Welford Road and the decision to move this semi-final fixture to a Friday evening ahead of the European finals next weekend, Tigers players Geoff Parling, Rob Hawkins, Blaine Scully and Boris Stankovich are all unavailable for selection due to concussion protocols.

I assume they will be OK for the final !
Or will THEY find another reason to cock things up for us ?
Simply cannot understand how PRL have allowed such a situation to arise Tigers have done extremely well to secure a semi final berth only to have it unfairly undermined :smt013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Were the club consulted and did they agree to the change. If so then there can be no room for complaint. If the change was imposed on us then we can feel aggrieved on 2 fronts in that we are disadvantaged for the game against Saints and we have never received assistance for European games when they are bending over backwards for Saints and Saracens. Does everyone hate us? You betcha!

If we beat Saints and Sarries there will be some on here that will bleat on about how they must have been exhausted by their European adventures while we are fully rested and how it's unfair because rightly it should be Saints or Sarries that are the champions, blah,blah blah.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

would they have been available if the game was Saturday or Sunday?
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

According to the IRB Concussion Guidelines, http://www.irbplayerwelfare.com/pdfs/Co ... lic_EN.pdf it is a minimum of 6 24 hour periods, with a final sign-off by a "qualified healthcare professional".

Assuming the period of rest starts on the Saturday afternoon, then the 144 hour minimum period should be up on Friday afternoon. Obviously, though, this really depends on how the players have reacted to the recovery program.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Find this thread a bit sad to be honest. Is 24-48 hours here or there. The protocols aren't just a tick in the box. Just because concussion isn't such a visible injury doesn't mean it should be treated lightly. These guys are not fit to play, end of story. The switch was done for a good reason. We such put up and shut up.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

ourla wrote:Find this thread a bit sad to be honest. Is 24-48 hours here or there. The protocols aren't just a tick in the box. Just because concussion isn't such a visible injury doesn't mean it should be treated lightly. These guys are not fit to play, end of story. The switch was done for a good reason. We such put up and shut up.
+1
I'm sure each one of the ineligible players would have ruled themselves in but this is where the clubs (hopefully not unduly forced by the governing body) have to step in. These boys give enough of their present without having to sacrifice their future.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Tigerref

Post by Tigerref »

Oh come off it suck it up lads.

These rules are there for good reason.

http://www.rugbydump.com/2014/05/3715/o ... ck-to-head

Players are brave, courageous (stupid?)

Disappointing they can't make it but I for one can't wait. TV booked just been to the butcher for some of his excellent pies just deciding if cold or warm beer is the order of the day.....
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

The concussion rules are fine.
However, the change in fixture days is another matter. Both myself and my daughter were unable to attand after agreeing to late work committments on Friday. Worse still in her case, as three weeks ago she changed a Saturday roster to make sure that she was available if we reached the semis.
The RFU/Premiership/Clubs seem not to care about fans any more.