Stubhub

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Stubhub

Post by LE18 »

Just been watching Watchdog, Anne Robinson stated that they will be reporting on Stubhub next week!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Stubhub

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Hardly surprised. Several years ago everyone bleated how wrong it was to buy a ticket on the "secondary market" for more than face value, in worst cases far more than face value. Then Stubhub came along, sponsored all the clubs, and suddenly it was ok and no one batted an eyelid.

Just as an example, there are individual sections of Twickenham with hundreds of tickets in one area, being sold at £10-15 above face value.

Stubhub is great for those who genuinely want to offload tickets, but it also has legitimised touting to an extent.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I would have thought this was a simple issue to resolve. Clubs should stipulate that tickets re-sold must be at face value plus a handling charge to Stub Hub, otherwise they don't endorse them. One has to doubt the sincerity of the clubs if they won't/don't do that.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

G.K wrote:I would have thought this was a simple issue to resolve. Clubs should stipulate that tickets re-sold must be at face value plus a handling charge to Stub Hub, otherwise they don't endorse them. One has to doubt the sincerity of the clubs if they won't/don't do that.
I totally agree.
Soggypitch
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27419369

At least with Stubhub they are a legitimate business.......would you rather buy through a reliable source or possible get scammed by other means.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

From personal experience - back prior to Stubhub I always purchased my final ticket on ebay (never wanted to count my chickens or tempt fate) and being pretty ebay savy - I was generally able to get very good tickets at a reasonable rate at slightly above face value but this was a premium I was prepared to pay given when I was purchasing them. I never had any difficulties or got scammed - it was pretty easy to see from the history of the seller as to whether they could be trusted and usually it was a fellow rugby fan whose team did not make it to the final who was selling. This worked for everyone and ebay made a small fee. Having looked for tickets for the cricket last summer and other events - the "slightly above face value" is now a thing of the past - expect to pay 50% of face value. So , assuming we win tomorrow , if I am unable to get tickets from the Tigers I am probably looking at spending £200+ to take my dad and I to the final. How can this be good for the fans - definitely legitimised touting. Bring Back Ebay ................... and C'mon Tigers.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Greenwhiteandred
+1
:smt023
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

My experience with STUBBYHUB was that I placed my season ticket place on the Crumbie terrace for a game at tigers ticket office face value. It Didn't sell along with several others from what I could gather. Possibly because STUBBYHUB add a premium making the 'face ' value Not face value anymore.
I was out of the country so couldn't re-price the ticket downwards.
But the the lower priced ones 'surprisingly' did sell apparantly.

So it's not always a case of profiteering.
In my case I thought it would sell at face value - I would have rather 'lent ' the season ticket to a fan rather than see it not used however this is probably frowned on by the club.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Stubhub is great for those who genuinely want to offload tickets, but it also has legitimised touting to an extent.
To be fair there it's more of a Government issue than Tigers. If it was illegal to resell any sporting ticket rather than just football then this problem wouldn't exist.

Don't see what Tigers can do to stop it.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27419369

Does stubhub or add to the problem?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Just to return to Watchdog if I may, I went into Sports Direct today, all their up to 70% discounts had been corrected, also the 30%, someone had obviously been very busy overnight! :smt038
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Stubhub will feature tonight on Watchdog, BBC 1 at 8-00pm when they report on the risks of buying tickets through online resale sites! :smt028
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Umm, not too much against them, others seem to be worse! I wonder if the club are aware that Stubhub were under scrutiny?
Tigerref

Post by Tigerref »

I hate touts and touting - but is it a rational hatred?

I don't hate other retailers who buy (limited) stock and sell for a premium to cover their effort and risk.

Despite that I still hate touts!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I completely agree you used to be able to get tickets at face value or even cheap through eBay and get some deals whereas with Stubhub it is ONLY ever a rip off.

The fans definitely lost out here!!

But then Stubhub sponsors teams probably gives them a kickback too...Ah capitalism doing its best to benefit the corporations..Cynical much?