Northampton v Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Northampton v Leicester

Post by TigerLad »

Fair play to Northampton. They had all the territory and possession and were worthy winners. We were poor and part of that is down to injuries but there can't really be any excuses. We have to go again next season and be better, because this year we have been poor.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Three yellow cards did not help Tigers cause, but well played Northampton. They threw everything at Tigers in the second half.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Fair play to Northampton (although im finding it funny that people are saying they have turned a corner now they won... by a point... at home...), This was a season too far for us I think, we played our hearts out but without Allen, Parling, Croft and Benjamin we looked a little lost at times.

Cant wait for next season now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

We completely blew that - 17-6 up at H-T looked way the more composed team, would not say the better team just more composed. We needed to control the first 10 mins of 2nd half , score again and Saints heads would have dropped. Instead (and I hate to single out individual players) we put ourselves under massive pressure and let them back into the game with Tait kicking out on the full twice, Crane throwing a pass to no-one and Gonevia throwing a line out forwards. They should be the ones choking and I am afraid it was us that choked. Story of our season - despite all the injuries (which Cockers says is no excuse) we have been fractured and error strewn. Way too many errors again tonight. Yes - the defence was awesome but we brought on ourselves. The game was there to be won.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

What happened after that first half? Given out season of injuries the semi was a bonus. But we had them and then let them off in my book. Over the season Stains did it but we had them and they got away. :censored:.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

An inept second half display, seemed like we were trying to hold on to what we had, in the end we didn't deserve it, saints down to 14 players and we were being pulled about across the field, we lacked the cutting edge and deserved to fall, saints fans roared them home, tigers just missing that final push, Doyle was so so, maybe next year!!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Agree with tiger lad - been poor all season. With the exception of that lot at Franklin Gardens in the league I don't think we have put it together once this season. Montpellier were dreadful and it took a last second try to beat that mob. Roll on next season - don't like losing to the " media darlings" down the road especially as they are such bad losers.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tears before bedtime.........and no Remy! The worst thing about it was the first half performance gave a sliver of hope.

Tara boys! Well played, great effort! I mean that sincerely. Let's hope for an ijury free run next year.....we'd have done 'em at our gaff!

To the guys and the gals on the message board Have a great summer. Don't get too burned! and I'll see you next season!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
covrich

Post by covrich »

I cannot help but feel this was a hurdle too far..

Our form has picked up but we have had a turbulent season..

There was always going to be a year we wouldn't make the finals but still we went down by only a point..

Disappointingly since we were in control at HT.

Need to regroup and look forward to the new season now..
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

I have to say I thought JP was exceptional today - and I don't often commend a ref!

He had balance and justification to each decision, at the red card we were going to lose crane anyway so losing Youngs was equal enough.

Goneva and Bowden were both a possible second yellow case and to other ref's there is a good chance they would have been. To be honest we had 14 men for the majority of the game. We never adapted well to it either as it was always a different position.

For the season we've had I think we've done the best we could expect. Roll on next year, hopefully discipline is lesson 101 on the schedule.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Hate losing. But credit to Saints for the second half and well done JP. A large number of tough decisions which a poorer ref would have blown and destroyed the game as a spectacle.

What an advert for our game!

Already looking forward to next season for more games like that (except the result)
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shiraz and Malbec for me Big Dai and I was waterey eyed but I have picked myself up now. Will miss me and the old man having a day out at Twickers at the end of May even if we don't win them all. Roll on next season.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Congratulations to Doyle. I thought he had a great game other than one decision. How was TY sent off? It was a maul and TY was defending, Ma'afu pushes TY about 5m and then TY gets sent off for interfering with play. Other than that though he had a superb game. I do wonder how many journos will mention the fact that for almost all the time they were down to 14 so were we. I suppose that's just a minute detail that won't be picked up though. If I was Cockers I'd have all the players watch the final to make them realise how much they want to be there. I'm sure he will be telling them all about how this is a feeling they need to keep in their heads for next season because they don't want to be in this situation again. They are a few positives to take. We showed again that we know exactly how to beat Northampton, we made the mistakes which led to them winning, they didn't do anything that we couldn't deal with. We will be stronger next year. Players will be back from injury and our squad will be stronger. The run of finals had to come to an end at some point and in a sick kind of way, this is exactly how I'd have wanted it to end. A one point loss away to our biggest rival seems a fitting end. Next year we shouldn't have to deal with such an awful run of injuries and we can focus on getting a home semi final. I'm massively dissapointed but we can only improve from here. Getting to this point and losing by only one point with the injuries and disruption we face is a massive achievement and I for one am incredibly proud of the boys. Bring on next year! :smt027 :smt027
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Gutted. Sorry, We bottled. It was ours to have. No excuses, not good enough. Story of the season, too many injuries and key players making rubbish decisions. Bad loser - yes when we could've won and IMO should've won.
Glad its over and I hope Quins beat Sarries and then stuff Stains out of sight. I cannot bring myself to support a team with Clark in it and never will.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Very proud of our boys tonight, congrats to Saints you won this battle we shall rejoin the war next season with a stronger army and to come so far this season is a credit to the team, coaches and everyone else at Tigers. The summer will be long and quiet cannot wait to hear the Tigers roar again at Welford Rd next season :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity