On line Tigers Matches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Louis

On line Tigers Matches

Post by Louis »

Hello! First time poster, long time lurker, even longer time Tigers fan.

I pay my Sky sub, I pay my BT sub, I pay, I pay! No televised Tigers match today, can't make it to the ground (annoyingly). Are there any legal, safe, reliable ways to watch Tigers matches live, on line when BT/Sky etc aren't covering them?

Is waiting for the Premiership Rugby site to stick the match up after the game my only option?

Whenever I Google these things I get (what I think are) fairly dodgy looking sign up services (like watchonlinerugby-dot-net...not linking it, just mentioning it). Am I overly cautious about this (and others)?
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: On line Tigers Matches

Post by GT1 »

Hi Louis & welcome to the forum - basically if it's not being transmitted on a TV channel you won't get a feed online either!
There are plenty of other sites that show rugby & other sports! Never download any links etc if you just click on the very small x it will clear adverts & show picture try - wiziwig - firstrow sports - watchnow tv & see if you can get Quins/Bath as a test(I know you pay for it)cheers :smt024
TigersParker

Post by TigersParker »

Is it not about time that tigers had its on tv channel on sky for any games that aren't televised? or something of that nature. Especially as so many games are sell outs.

Its never the same watching a game thats repeated
Louis

Post by Louis »

Thanks GT1.

Tragically I can't find a Tigers feed. Only Bath and Saints, which I already have on the telly. I guess I'll watch the Bath/Quins clash as a neutral.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

It's probably the match of the day anyway Louis you can always listen to the Radio Leicester commentary on 104.9 fm & online!
Louis

Post by Louis »

Tigers own TV channel? I'd never watch anything else. Great idea!

Good point about the radio, GT1. I'd forgotten that! {facepalm}
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

I listen to Bleddyn & Steve's commentary even though I'm at the match for a laugh to try & figure out which match their watching!!
Only joking their normally spot on & Steve will always have a chat after the game!
Louis

Post by Louis »

I'll resurrect this (as I listen to the radio) by casting Thread Necromancy, just in case some Tigers fan genius has discovered something in the intervening months. My Google-Fu has not found anything new and my reluctance to sign up to very dodgy looking internet services remains.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

The Premiership website has full replays of all matches up with a few days after they happen, but the games won't been streamed live anywhere unless BT are covering them live.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Thanks Darc Tiger.

I do watch the replays on the Prem site when matches are untelevised. It's live games that are the big issue.

I'll make my point/confusion more generally (i.e. not directed at your comment specifically, Darc Tiger).

I find it tough to believe that (given that the matches are obviously recorded) it is impossible to reach some form of agreement with TV people/clubs/Prem Rugby etc such that untelevised matches could be available on the internet live. Either via "red button" type services or on the relevant (BT/Sky/Prem/whoever) website.

There are no existing physical limits to this that I am aware of. Bandwidth, storage, sites to view matches, and recording of matches are already in place. At the very worst this service would involve a moderate bolstering of/increase in the relevant servers, and the tasking of someone to maintain/upload/link the video stream. The absence of this service simply a case of the business-folk not considering the needs of the fans, as far as I can see. Admittedly, my harshness on that front could be mistaken.

As I said in the OP, I would cheerfully pay for this service. I pay for Sky Sports, I pay for BT, I sit through the adverts if I have to! That's three forms of payment right there. It's a potential revenue stream for the club, TV companies and Prem rugby, even if the fees charged were nominal. The costs involved would not be extreme (servers etc mentioned above) and easily covered by a small fee per match. The relevant technology already exists, think Netflix etc, so no one has to reinvent the wheel or develop new things.

Advertisers/sponsors already negotiate with the various parties for ad space. Net advertising is significantly cheaper than TV spots. For the sake of simplicity the same advertisers that have successfully bid for TV spots could (optionally) pay the relevant increase in cost for the net spots. All the Prem clubs/TV companies/advertisers/Prem Rugby could benefit form coordinated/central action on this. It does seem to be a no-brainer to me. Which probably means I've overlooked something!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Darc Tiger wrote:The Premiership website has full replays of all matches up with a few days after they happen, but the games won't been streamed live anywhere unless BT are covering them live.

Wasn't it a few hours after the game last season?

Also looking at previous post a Leicester tigers TV channel wouldn't be able to play the game due to TV rights I believe. Hopefully there will be a time where every game is available on a red button (like Europe).

But ATM Radio Leicester is the best bit. (God help us)
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

This one isn't live, but usually has the match uploaded a couple of days later

http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/Team/LeicesterTigers
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I am sure they could come to an arrangement to have every game televised live in some form if they really wanted to. But they don't want to as it is not in the interest of the clubs, I am sure tigers have made comments in the past about attendance suffering due to increased tv coverage so I doubt they would want to increase it further.
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

One of the problems that I can see with BT, or any other source for that matter, live streaming every game would be the quality of the VT.

A live televised match, has a whole bunch of cameras around the stadium plus commentators, VT editors, directors, etc, etc.

I'm sure there will be a few people who would be happy to pay for a stream that was totally unedited - no replays, no captioning (score, time, substitutions, etc) - but how long before the complaints start from people who, mistakenly, expect something more for their money?
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Why would Tigers facilitate on line steaming of games when they get no payback, if it put even one fan off making the trip and buying a ticket, they would start to lose out.