Tigers v Saracens - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams Up v Saracens

Post by TTRITH »

Mulipola, Slater, Salvi, Gibson and Crane are probably running on empty. Tom Youngs is probably dealing with his wife, or taking a well deserved rest as well. Would you rather us stuff Sarries with a first team and then they run out of steam in the semis? Our backs on the other hand look ferocious. Cockers is doing the sensible thing.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I could do with a couple of terrace tickets for tomorrow. Happy to pay face value if anybody doesn't want to watch this A game?! :smt003
Soggypitch
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Thank you for all your kind thoughts and hope you enjoy the A league game especially as we "ought to win" :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens

Post by 4071 »

G.K wrote:Was there some collusion between Tigers and Saffas I wonder?
With the HC final coming up and a home semi secured, it was always going to be a second-string Sarries side. Knowing that and knowing that a SF place is secure, Cockerill has picked a side that allows him to rest players, but still contains enough first teamers to pick up the win.

For Sarries it's a no lose situation - even a hammering won't have an effect on the rest of team as it's such an understrength team that the loss would be meaningless. A shock win, however, would be a big psychological blow.

For Tigers there are enough safety nets to allow a riskier than usual selection.

Collusion wasn't necessary.
APM16

Post by APM16 »

Saracens team to face Leicester Tigers;

15. Ben Ransom; 14. Michael Tagicakibau, 13. Tim Streather, 12. Duncan Taylor, 11. Jack Wilson; 10. Charlie Hodgson, 9. Ben Spencer; 1. Rhys Gill, 2. Jamie George ©, 3. Petrus Du Plessis, 4. Eoin Sheriff, 5. Hayden Smith, 6. Maro Itoje, 7. Justin Melck, 8. Nick Fenton-Wells.

16. Scott Spurling, 17. Richard Barrington, 18. James Johnston, 19. Tom Jubb, 20. Hayden Thompson-Stringer, 21. Neil de Kock, 22. Nils Mordt, 23. Nick Tompkins.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

4071 wrote:
With the HC final coming up and a home semi secured, it was always going to be a second-string Sarries side. Knowing that and knowing that a SF place is secure, Cockerill has picked a side that allows him to rest players, but still contains enough first teamers to pick up the win.

For Sarries it's a no lose situation - even a hammering won't have an effect on the rest of team as it's such an understrength team that the loss would be meaningless. A shock win, however, would be a big psychological blow.

For Tigers there are enough safety nets to allow a riskier than usual selection.

I agree with all of that.
Soggypitch
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

sapajo wrote:Thank you for all your kind thoughts and hope you enjoy the A league game especially as we "ought to win" :smt023
We are resting some key players like we should do but this is hardly a team that would play in the A League. The back line is very strong and a lot of people have been calling for Mele to start all year. The front row is the only place were we have fielded anything close to an A league team. 4 Internationals in the back line, 2 in the second row, 3 in the back row and 2 on the bench. Hardly weak is it?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

4071 wrote:

For Tigers there are enough safety nets to allow a riskier than usual selection. .

Please what exactly are these "enough safety nets" :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Sarries first 15 v Clermont:

Goode; Ashton, Bosch, Barritt, Strettle; Farrell, de Kock, M Vunipola, Brits, Johnston, Borthwick, Botha, Brown, Burger, B Vunipola.

I think I'm right in saying it's a completely changed side 1 through 15. A true B team.
What, you didn't believe my story :smt003
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I'd love to watch this A league where teams take to the pitch with 9 full internationals plus another 2 on the bench. When and where does it happen regularly?

:smt002

Sensible squad pick having due regard to Saracens who've effectively rested about 18 of their first choice 22. Can see why Northampton would be peeved about the whole event, but no cause for Tigers or Sarries complaints.

Backs have plenty of scope to score. It's frankly insulting to describe any of Tait, Tuilagi, Flood, Williams, Morris, Mele or Scully as A team players. And back 5 includes Deacon, Parling, Mafi and Waldrom who are all full internationals and have all been first choice in their position within the last year or two. Plus Croft and Kitchener on the bench.

Front row is genuinely weaker, but makes sense in the circumstances - Ayerza and Mulipola have put in massive shifts this year and no point risking them when definitely need them to be starting in the play-offs.

There is always a risk involved in any selection, but I'd be very disappointed if that Tigers team can't secure a good win at home against Saracens.
Joe The Tigers Fan
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Blimey, Cockers just can't win with some people.
Sensible to rest some players who have had a hard slog; while also being able to reintroduce a couple of long-term absentees.
Great to see Crofty, Mafi, and Bowden back in the mix; and for Pasquali to be given a go.
AliB

Post by AliB »

I think Cockers has got the right balance we are not fielding a complete second string and given the huge semi final match just a week away I think there would be a lot of complaints on here if someone like Slater, Goneva or Loggi got injured in playing what is effectively a dead rubber? I am actually surprised he is playing Manu.

As a season ticket holder myself it is frustrating that this match is not contested by full strength teams but having it as the last game of the season there was always the risk it would be a dead game - perhaps blame whoever puts the fixture list together?

I hope the strategy pays off and we hit the semi finals with a well rested team and then onto the final!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

well the only significant misses are Marcos, Loggo and Salvers - I assume all 3 taking a well earned rest (and even then - Marcos is on the bench)

Slats is missing but Deacon is a very adequate replacement. TY is missing but potentially injured ribs I assume, Crane is out injured. That only really leaves BY who is arguably replaced by a better player.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Soggypitch wrote:I could do with a couple of terrace tickets for tomorrow. Happy to pay face value if anybody doesn't want to watch this A game?! :smt003
Same here mate!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I'm disappointed in that I'm missing out on seeing what should have been a top game. This looks like more of a 6 nations period type game to me and for that reason I'm annoyed. But obviously you have to take into account that this game probably has no real value unless Saints slip up. I completely trust Cockers and when you think about it this is probably the best call. We do need to win this though. Away at Saints I think we are favourites, Sarries would be favourites on their plastic. Although I'd back us to go anywhere and win.