A sad day in the Top 14

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

A sad day in the Top 14

Post by physiodan »

Perpignan have been relegated for the first time. Such a massive rugby club with so much history but with the introduction of teams with huge benefactors in the T14 has now taken two of the big boys down to the Pro2.

Such a shame and I can only see the club losing a lot of its class players. I wonder what Hook's price will be?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: A sad day in the Top 14

Post by jgriffin »

physiodan wrote:Perpignan have been relegated for the first time. Such a massive rugby club with so much history but with the introduction of teams with huge benefactors in the T14 has now taken two of the big boys down to the Pro2.

Such a shame and I can only see the club losing a lot of its class players. I wonder what Hook's price will be?
Too much for us- he would've been a far better buy thsn Burns IMO, a proven big match player who was always far better than some of the other recent supposed international class Welsh players.
He'll be off to another big club (Toulon :smt005 ) or Japan I suspect.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Yes very sad to lose Perpignan - two cracking trips there in recent years - although we lost both!!
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

The Rugby Paper suggests Hook will go either to Lyon, who've been promoted, or Bristol, if they get promoted.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I was at Kingsholm yesterday for a long standing booking with some Irish mates and several Glaws supporters, apart from questioning why I was there, also said 'when are you going to get Burns to sign that contract then?' So, who knows - is it a done deal?
He had a very mixed day, some good stuff but some dross (bit like the whole game really) and it seems the majority of Glaws folk can't wait for him to go.
Yes, I'd take Hook first too as, if Burns performs like he did yesterday, we'll soon be on his back.
Marlon Yarde by the way was brilliant
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Shame to see them go - a club that we've several encounters with over the years, and a club that have offered opportunities to former Tigers with the like of Stimmo, Henry Tuilagi and Perry Freshwater all having gone there.

On a more flippant note, there were also the team who provided their full back, South African Philip Burger, the opportunity to be the first player to play at Welford Road in tights...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... d226gi.jpg
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Was there for the Munster game in December, the day before our Montpellier game. Great town, great atmosphere, no doubt replaced with a cash rich franchise with no history or fan base.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Sad to see them go (and Biarritz for that matter) but in all this hooha we shouldn't forget the fantastic achievement of Oyonnax in staying up in the Top 14.

A town with a total population of just 23,000 - virtually the same size as Market Harborough - playing and surviving in a tough league: hats off to'em!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

In the big scheme of things, this can and should happen, both Quinns and Northampton were relegated from our Premier league and have put things right and improved. That surely is what competative sport is all about isn't it? Also allowing the top side from the next level a shot is also only right, Exeter Chiefs would still be nowhere if our league had been ring fenced like demanded by some . In order for the game to continue, there has to be this element of competition, we don't want our league to be like the Rabo do we? :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Poor Monique, She one showed me her Catalan coloured pendant on a 737 bound for Toulouse. Very attractive lady! Poor thing's a bit sad now. :smt010
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

sad indeed, but relegation should be invigorating to the famous club.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I wouldn't mind cheering her up! :smt003
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sad for the club and its fans perhaps but isn't that what competition is all about?

You can't have winners without losers. The onus is on the losers to climb back up not for the winners to go
"Please, let's turn it into a franchise with no relegation so that the weak teams can give up by Xmas and save their pennies for next year or focus on the cup."
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

mol2 wrote: .... "Please, let's turn it into a franchise with no relegation so that the weak teams can give up by Xmas and save their pennies for next year or focus on the cup."
I agree - it's bad enough in our league, where in the last two Tigers games we've seen two sides of the coin. Quins even more desperate than us to win giving a gripping nail biting contest; and Sale trying hard but without the edge that a real target gives you - fun to watch but little visceral 'grip'. Do we really want teams suffering because their rivals get an easy game because their opponents have nothing to play for; do we want meaningless games after just a few weeks. Look at last season where there was a desperate battle at the bottom - which kept everyone interested. -
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

if your not good enough your not good enough simple as