Sale v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale v Tigers

Post by jgriffin »

We thump, away, a team that was vying for the playoffs and had a superb recent record, and people still whinge. I'm no happy-clapper but give credit where it is due, we are coming into form at the right time.
Saffacens may have been the best team this season, but due to a crook system they voted for, may yet lose out - as they did last year and as Quins and Glaws have done before = totally wrong IMO. League and cup meeded, as argued ad nauseam by many on this forum.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote:We thump, away, a team that was vying for the playoffs and had a superb recent record, and people still whinge. I'm no happy-clapper but give credit where it is due, we are coming into form at the right time.
Saffacens may have been the best team this season, but due to a crook system they voted for, may yet lose out - as they did last year and as Quins and Glaws have done before = totally wrong IMO. League and cup meeded, as argued ad nauseam by many on this forum.
We may have thumped them......but when Sale opened up I felt like biting my nails! Took charge second half and let it slip a bit when the subs came on......Just hope Ant and Tom are OK? I almost missed a close game....almost! Nice to see the cup / league view aired fairly. Even if it is ad nauseam.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Good performance. Up until we secured the TBP I thought that was one of our best performances all season. Crane was my MOM. He consistently got over the gain line and was always looking to make the offload. I don't understand how some people refuse to see what he does for the team. Williams was great. I've questioned his ability to get the back line moving but he proved me wrong. He posed a massive threat to the Sale defense and made a few Flood like half breaks before offloading. Quality chip for the try as well. If the lad was a 20 year old Englishman there would be no end of praise for him. He was still 6 from 9 from the tee aswell which isn't bad. Other than a ridiculously stupid intercept pass to the Sale winger I thought YBY had a great game, he's really forming a good partnership with Williams now. The backs looked slick and AA was playing superbly well, hopefully he will be back for the playoffs as he is so key for us. The forwards were dominant and Sale couldn't handle our scrum. There are still lots of things to improve on for next week. The lineout was very poor which was strange considering both TY and Parling returned. I suppose one positive is that a lot of the time players didn't take the ball cleanly, that's better than players being in the wrong place. Either way though, the lineout will need to drastically improve. Hopefully TY and AA aren't out for too long, we will need them for the next few games.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well we are into the payoffs which is obviously good. Not happy about hitting the snooze button in the final quarter though.

Can we raise our game and beat Saffas next week? May not affect the standings but I think we have to beat them at home to get the psychological edge for the final.

Just wondering if the problem with the line out is OTY getting used to Geoff's Geordie accent again?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Hope Manu enjoyed the game he played in yesterday but it wasn't the game I was watching.

Defense a joke all game & Allen is poor in attack better off with Bowden.

The negatives re Balmain, true in one sense but he was on when PT was awarded, Briggs is a very poor player in all aspects of his game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Jaysus, that's a bit harsh!
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Also tripe Darc (IMO)!
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

It may be tripe and also a little harsh from wrfc but to ignore the obvious and pretend everything is perfect is very shortsighted. I was shocked at Balmain's stature, I recall seeing him play several times before and he looked solid enough in the scrum and was dynamic around the park. Obviously a step up is required but at what cost? I was genuinely shocked at his transformation yesterday regarding the excess weight he appears to be carrying and he looked a shadow of the young player I saw. Ball carrying and smashing a way through is all well and good but Mulipola looks held together with bandage and tape at present and massive weight gains are no good if you can no longer run and keep up!
Also the defence was clearly vulnerable to running at pace with depth and width, we have some big men and it was all or bust at times.
Sale were very poor in their execution and we were fortunate that their defence was worse than ours.
Cheery chappy
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:Hope Manu enjoyed the game he played in yesterday but it wasn't the game I was watching.

Defense a joke all game & Allen is poor in attack better off with Bowden.

Briggs is a very poor player in all aspects of his game.
I agree with TBD's sentiments that there's no use papering over (minor, if we're honest) cracks or pretending all was perfect, but WRFC's comment is IMHO mostly nonsense.

Defence was actually very good at the start, as it had to be in order to keep them from scoring, which we did. Occasionally there were problems when we set too many players back for the kick (because they normally do kick a lot) and they threw it wide. But, put in perspective, we forced them to chuck the ball about from very deep and we scrambled well, and they made the inevitable errors. We switched off at the end and made it too easy for them, but to describe the defence as poor all game in frankly nonsense IMHO.

Allen wasn't poor in attack, at all. Briggs struggled in terms of lineout, but that struggled all game. His work at the breakdown is good and his carrying is decent. Not a great player, but a fair way from very poor IMO.

On Manu, I did think he struggled to read the game, and got caught out of position several times, including just before the Leota try. I know he tends to work best in combination with AA but I do hope this is something he's working hard on, as he's getting to the age where he can't be so reliant on AA in order to read the attack.
TigerinLowton

Post by TigerinLowton »

"We may have thumped them......but when Sale opened up I felt like biting my nails! Took charge second half and let it slip a bit when the subs came on......Just hope Ant and Tom are OK? I almost missed a close game....almost! Nice to see the cup / league view aired fairly. Even if it is ad nauseam."

Is that the second half Tigers won 28-19? If only we could let more teams take charge.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

We had the bonus point, we were miles ahead, away, against a very good side. Yes, they came back a bit, but it was never nail biting.
Don't forget, Saffas beat Wuss by a similar score, at home. There are some very hard to please posters on this forum
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Some people have no idea how to manage a team of players and manage their fitness. With the game won and the bonus point secured it was exactly the right time to give the replacements a shot. Not so long ago Cockers was being criticised for not using the bench, now he is being criticised for using it.
Balmain is third choice with very little game time behind him, the lad needs to have a go. If he's not up to it, then we need to know and prepare accordingly. He may well get more of a shot next year when internationals are taking place, still young for a prop with plenty to learn, the lad needs time and encouragement, not lambasting by arm chair critics who have clearly little understanding of the game and have probably never played themselves.
If we need to be critical, then be constructive, yes he was binding on the arm, show me a prop who doesn't, Castro still does it all the time. He needs to be a bit smarter and he has two guys to learn all the tricks from.
There were others on the field who clearly wound down once the job was complete, that is sensible to be in good shape for the tests ahead over the next two weeks.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Balmain is third choice with very little game time behind him, the lad needs to have a go. If he's not up to it, then we need to know and prepare accordingly. He may well get more of a shot next year when internationals are taking place, still young for a prop with plenty to learn
Quite right, in which case why encourage such a young prop involved in a professional set-up to add so much fat? I saw this lad close up a couple of seasons ago and was very impressed at his strength and mobility, I do not understand how or why he would be allowed to add so much fat at this age, I am baffled!
Cheery chappy
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerinLowton wrote:"We may have thumped them......but when Sale opened up I felt like biting my nails! Took charge second half and let it slip a bit when the subs came on......Just hope Ant and Tom are OK? I almost missed a close game....almost! Nice to see the cup / league view aired fairly. Even if it is ad nauseam."

Is that the second half Tigers won 28-19? If only we could let more teams take charge.
We took charge second half! and then let it slip a bit when the subs came on.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

northerntiger wrote:We had the bonus point, we were miles ahead, away, against a very good side. Yes, they came back a bit, but it was never nail biting.
Don't forget, Saffas beat Wuss by a similar score, at home. There are some very hard to please posters on this forum
I thought in the first half Sale looked dangerous when they opened the game up............We had a couple of chances and took them well. I bite my mails anytime we play against a fast offloading team. The game can turn in an instant.