DOR of the Year?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

DOR of the Year?

Post by jgriffin »

"Richard Cockerill has been included on the shortlist for the Guinness Director of Rugby of the Season award, Premiership Rugby confirmed today."
To be honest, no competition for Diamond. The bloke may not be the most engaging personality, but then of the three nominees Cockers is probably the nicest by far. :smt004
Diamond has dragged relegation zoners into contenders within two seasons, and revitalised the career of Cipriani.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
piebaps
Tiger Cub

Re: DOR of the Year?

Post by piebaps »

After doing that job on Cipriani, I fully expect water to be turned into wine, 5000 people to be fed with minimal ingredients, world peace, a cure for cancer and a solution for the global warming problem.
Pieus et bapus
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

piebaps wrote:After doing that job on Cipriani, I fully expect water to be turned into wine, 5000 people to be fed with minimal ingredients, world peace, a cure for cancer and a solution for the global warming problem.
World peace might be achievable if that Diamond snarl was let loose on the G20.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes Cockers has done really well managing our depleted resources this year and bringing us to the brink of an away semi play off and losing narrowly in the HC QF.

I also agree that Diamond has done a fantastic job at Sale and is probably just ahead of Cockers this year in most peoples' eyes.

However we will be deluding ourselves if we do not accept that the winner will be McCall.

Sarries have been the best most consistent team in the League this year, and have just reached the HC Final thrashing Clermont on the way.

Yes Tigers or Saints could turn them over in the final, but the awards ceremony is May 15th, so he's nailed on IMHO!!
Soggypitch
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

You are of course correct Soggy. And its a deserved award.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I disagree entirely - Diamond has ploughed his own furrow, often taking over responsibility for direct coaching and making individual decisions that at the time seemed lunacy, but in retrospect were winning gambles. McCall IMO is the acceptable face of Venterish Saffadom.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

[Sale] is greater than the sum of its parts, too. Saracens have a playing squad that should be top, and should be challenging for trophies. They also have a squad spirit built on trips away and gimmicky coaching principles.

The acid test is to ask yourself if you think McCall would do as well at Sale as Diamond. Probably not.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Will be a farce if If won by anybody other than the Sarries lad this year. As hard as it is to like them, Sarries on May 15 will be in a position they couldn't better, unless the Micky mouse LV cup is taken seriously. Sale have had a great season but Sarries up to this stage have had their best season ever. Maybe in some seasons Diamond would have a chance but they are likely to finish 6th, hardly the biggest over achievement of all time. Sarries are in a Euopean final with a home semi in the play offs!!! I for one are jealous of them. :smt002
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

A coach who condoned his forward pack to not compete at scrums and retreat being touted as DoR of the year and likely going to finish mid-table after they get spanked this weekend. Of course they could turn everyone over and go on to win the title, they are that good or at least the mastermind behind them is. :smt005
There is only one obvious choice so far, top of the premiership table and HC finalists!
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DOR of the Year should IMHO go to someone who has done a great job AGAINST the odds, not with all the advantages. If Dean Ryan had kept Wuss up, I would be advocating him strongly, as I did Dai Young previously.
By the same principle, either Mick Ford or Nigel Davies should get the alternative DOR award Ordo Caligulae (Order of the Boot).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Getting an English team to the final of the European Cup is against the odds. Worcester were a shorter price to stay up at the start of the season than what Saracens were to get to the final of the Heinekin.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:[Sale] is greater than the sum of its parts, too. Saracens have a playing squad that should be top, and should be challenging for trophies. They also have a squad spirit built on trips away and gimmicky coaching principles.

The acid test is to ask yourself if you think McCall would do as well at Sale as Diamond. Probably not.
Thats interesting....so you are saying the likes of Farrell, Ashton, Barritt, Goode, Stevens, Borthwick, Tompkins, Strettle, Jamie George, Kelly Brown, Hodgson, Wigglesworth etc.....you acknowledge these players are top players and should be top of the premiership and winning European cups ?

The Op has also been a constant critic of these players. I would be interested to know how many you and the OP would have in the Tigers squad.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I guess I am the OP, and would point out I have been a critic of the obscure funding of Saffacens especially the appearance of amazingly cheap Saffas, and their occasional bouts of contempt for the rest of the AP, mostly muted since Venter 'left' (as if he ever did....).

I think Borthwick is one of the more odious and contemptuous of competitors, and I believe this attitude has infected the odd player (e.g. Fazlet, whose Dad is by contrast a gent). I loathed Ashton from the moment he pulled AT across the touchline in front of me by his hair.At that point I was close to jumping the fence and belting him myself, as were several others. I haven't changed my mind, especially given the stories from Stains fan friends about his ego.
I am indifferent to most of the others, but...

I think Burger,Hodgson and Brown are top people as well as top players and my favourite Saffa is the wonderful Mr Brits, who often has a grin on his face on the pitch as well as being a genial cove off it, and most approachable. He and Burger have been my 'wish they played for us' Saffas for a while.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

tig1 wrote:The Op has also been a constant critic of these players. I would be interested to know how many you and the OP would have in the Tigers squad.
I agree with JG about the selection of Saracens players who I would (and wouldn't) have at Tigers. Saying that, I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of our players to accommodate them in the squad.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Heartily agree Griff its Steve Diamond for me too. A friend of mine is a passionate Sale Fan and he says you wouldn't believe the change of Atmosphere at home matchdays this season.