49-6 Respect is due

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Re: 49-6 Respect is due

Post by Phil B »

Respect is due, absolutely. We watched the Premiership Champions elect yesterday, and maybe they can do the double. I hope not, of course, in fact I hope that they do neither, but as the title says, respect where it is due. Clermont showed me how little the HC means to them when the chips are down. Sad really. Interesting to see how much bottle Toulon have this afternoon.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Big Dai wrote:
Smurphswillgetya wrote:Sorry to upset the happy clappers on this thread but it seems to me that one's singing the praises of Sarries so quickly are the one's that usually are the first to criticise the Tigers, sometimes even when we win. I for one don't give a hoot about Sarries, all I care is about Tigers and if we can go an unbeaten run of 4 games we will be champions again.

As far as the HC cup goes well done to an English team beating the French.
Another ostrich with its insular head stuck in the sand! It was an energetic and committed team performance. They took the rub of the green and never let go. Defence was aggressive and sound and they didn't take the foot off the gas. If Tigers played like that more often they would be top........You may not like Sarries and have eyes only for the Tigers......but they are top and we are not. That's not criticism that's observation of fact.
As we all know when Tigers play with real belief and dog they can beat anyone and they must do so for every remaining game. :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Total respect for Sarries. Watched the game and they took the ref out of the equation by completely outplaying Clermont. Was at Quins last week and we didn't build on that early 10-0 lead. Now we have to show Sale we can play with the same intensity for 80 minutes like Sarries did.
Congratulations to Sarries and let's hope we can get the chance to show how good we are in the Play-Offs!!!
TigerinLowton

Post by TigerinLowton »

And this is where the play off system falls down - over the past few years you could make a point for more than one side deserving to win the Title, but this year Saracens are head and shoulders above anyone else, yet a dodgy decision or unlucky bounce of the ball may prevent them from deservedly being crowned Champions.

Here's hoping for a dodgy decision or unlucky bounce of the ball then
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

TigerinLowton wrote: Here's hoping for a dodgy decision or unlucky bounce of the ball then
:smt003 :smt003
Nostradamus

Post by Nostradamus »

Credit is due as well

Steve Borthwick might drive us mad when we are playing them when he is endlessly advising the ref but the ref cam shows he listens as well. I thought he had a great game yesterday, he was giving his guys grief when the penalty count was threatening to get out of hand. I hope he goes out with a trophy this season, hopefully not at our expense.

Sarries were awesome yesterday. To my mind Owens only got one decision wrong and that was the penalty try, the rest was down to team effort. Now they must show whether they have truly arrived by producing a back to back performance in Cardiff.

You must question Vern Cotter's reputation. How can he be acclaimed as a great coach if he cannot coach that team of expensive stars in how to win an away game, not just yesterday but any away game!!
At least Scotland can live in hope that he has a proven record 'at home'
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

sapajo wrote:
Big Dai wrote:
Smurphswillgetya wrote:Sorry to upset the happy clappers on this thread but it seems to me that one's singing the praises of Sarries so quickly are the one's that usually are the first to criticise the Tigers, sometimes even when we win. I for one don't give a hoot about Sarries, all I care is about Tigers and if we can go an unbeaten run of 4 games we will be champions again.

As far as the HC cup goes well done to an English team beating the French.
Another ostrich with its insular head stuck in the sand! It was an energetic and committed team performance. They took the rub of the green and never let go. Defence was aggressive and sound and they didn't take the foot off the gas. If Tigers played like that more often they would be top........You may not like Sarries and have eyes only for the Tigers......but they are top and we are not. That's not criticism that's observation of fact.
As we all know when Tigers play with real belief and dog they can beat anyone and they must do so for every remaining game. :smt023
Recently I have not seen that belief!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Agree that respect is due. Saracens outplayed Clermont fair and square - the scoreline should take any accusations of "ref assistance". Clermont looked a shadow of the side against Tigers - down to a Saracens side taking them apart and Clermont not travelling well.

On Owen's penalty try decision - sorry, won't be popular, but I think he was spot on. If James'
action was deliberate, then yellow and penalty try is appropriate/correct. James flicked the ball out as he obviously thought there was the danger of a try being scored - otherwise why not catch and dot down? Owens thought James' actions were deliberate and in the (deep) red zone - in which case James knew he was preventing a possible try. Yellow and penalty try is correct.

You can argue that James' actions weren't deliberate, but we'll never really know. Some people still argue that Hartley's accusations of cheating were made to himself or Tom Youngs in last year's premiership final - the ref thought otherwise and the right action taken. However we will never really know for sure who Hartley was accusing of being a cheat ... likewise we will never know if James knocked the ball out deliberately. The ref has to call it as they see it at the time.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

[quote=We watched the Premiership Champions elect yesterday.[/quote

They may be in form but that's a very presumptuous statement
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

All I can say is there are more Sarries fans here than they can get to come and watch their games and at the moment most of you are sounding like their premature fat lady singing. :smt003 :smt006
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

All I can say is there are more Sarries fans here than they can get to come and watch their games
As I said earlier, I'm a rugby fan… and the win against Clermont deserved credit. I hope the entire Tigers team and management were made to sit down and watch it this morning with a view to how we need to improve in the next 2 (hopefully 4) games.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

MrPartridge wrote:
All I can say is there are more Sarries fans here than they can get to come and watch their games
As I said earlier, I'm a rugby fan… and the win against Clermont deserved credit. I hope the entire Tigers team and management were made to sit down and watch it this morning with a view to how we need to improve in the next 2 (hopefully 4) games.
Agreed in spades! Well said.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

It certainly was a performance of how to demolish a side by strong defence. Clermont had 2/3 of possession and territory. Sarries made 193 to 56 tackles etc etc. Sarries have a Prem diff of 256, Tigers have 86. May 10th will be interesting!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Don't forget we helped them increase their points difference with a hammering at Allianz with a team that could not play together. A different team turning out on 10th May.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

A win at Sale will secure a semi final spot. The final game against Saracens May well determine whether we travel to Allianz or Franklin Gardens.

Bath v Northampton will be a crunch match.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk