Sale Recommendations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sale Recommendations

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

The Boss and I have our tickets for Sale game but have not been to A J Bell before. Have heard all sorts of bad traffic stories.
Any recommendations on where to park, eat and drink pre-match would be much appreciated.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale Recommendations

Post by trendylfj »

We are making a weekend of it and travelling by bus from the centre of Manchester. The Sale web site has advice on how to get there : http://www.salesharks.com/club/travel.php

Though I have to say I too have never been so will be interested in pubs in Eccles or near there
Hehehehehehehehe
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

trendylfj wrote:We are making a weekend of it and travelling by bus from the centre of Manchester. The Sale web site has advice on how to get there : http://www.salesharks.com/club/travel.php

Though I have to say I too have never been so will be interested in pubs in Eccles or near there
We will be staying with friends in Cheshire and driving in. Clear how to get to the ground but I understand the road back to the motorway can be a very long wait on exit and that perhaps parking off A57 on the other side of the motorway is better.

I have checked web sites and can find no pubs or place to eat in the area other than at city airport which has poor reviews.

Can find no info on Sale or AJ Bell web sites about eating options in the ground
Jez

Only Winners Win!
bluehumber1

Post by bluehumber1 »

I always stay with friends when we play Sale and we go from a pub called the Brook in Sale (Address: Brooklands Rd, Sale, M33 3SQ Phone:0161 973 7773 www.thebrooksale.co.uk )
Good beer and banter, it is full of Sale supporters and they run a coach to the ground and back, it may be worth a look at if you are struggling.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

bluehumber1 wrote:I always stay with friends when we play Sale and we go from a pub called the Brook in Sale (Address: Brooklands Rd, Sale, M33 3SQ Phone:0161 973 7773 http://www.thebrooksale.co.uk )
Good beer and banter, it is full of Sale supporters and they run a coach to the ground and back, it may be worth a look at if you are struggling.
Many thanks - Looks good - so will them a call as I assume you need to book a place on the bus
Jez

Only Winners Win!
TigerinLowton

Post by TigerinLowton »

You could all try parking at the Trafford Centre, which is no more than a mile form the AJ Bell. There's plenty of food places (recommend the Little Yang Sing) and watering holes, plus there is a free shuttle bus to the ground, which takes about fifteen minutes.
bluehumber
Tiger Cub

Post by bluehumber »

J A ,personally i don't know about booking a place on the coach I let the Mancs sort that out but it may well pay to give them a call to find out, as said previously good pub and crowd.
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

The biggest problem with the Sale stadium is getting away at the end - although getting TO the ground can be pretty horrible (e.g. backing up off the northbound M60 at junction 11! :smt009 )

What some friends have done - for last year's Sale v Bath game - was to take the train to Patricroft Station, where they disembarked and went into (I am fairly sure it was) the Queen's Arms pub next to it. They then imbibed of liquid refreshment in this Classic CAMRA pub, and ordered a local taxi which took them to the turn-off for the stadium on the main road. It was a short walk down the stadium road to the ground.

The local taxi then picked them up after the match at the same place (i.e. ON THE MAIN ROAD) where they were swiftly taken back to the train station (possibly stopping in the Queen's Arms again :smt030 ).

They told me that they got away from the stadium very quickly.

This is VERY IMPORTANT because the biggest problem with the stadium is that the big car park is behind it, and the stewards only let one car off it at a time to crawl in single file about half a mile back around the stadium and up to the main road. It takes over an hour to clear this and is an absolute disgrace!

So if you've booked your taxi - Bob's your uncle!
Might I suggest that Tigers fans use the Queen's Arms as a meeting place and then all share taxis?
If you want to check if my suggestion makes sense why not ring the Queen's Arms and seek advice: 0161 789 2019.

Unfortunately I cannot be there as it is on the Saturday - I would have been alright if they had stuck with the original Friday date..............
Neil Back is the Greatest!
the stig
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by the stig »

I think the main issue is everyone wants to turn right at a busy road maybe turn left then do a u turn some place and pass all the frustrated queuing traffic!
or it is one junction away on M60 from the trafford center which has free parking, about a billion shops and restaurants in it also free shuttle bus to and from the ground.
also Eccles rfc M30 7LZ is about 15 minutes walk away they have match day parking think its £5 and at least the money goes to a local club and they have a bar sky tv etc. also a pub on the way from there to the ground if you need another pint :smt023
DayKP

Post by DayKP »

Also, Manchester United are playing at home at 3pm that day so the traffic on the motorway will be terrible!
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

"Hot off the press" latest from the Sale website:

http://www.salesharks.com/news/2566.php

Hope it helps!
Neil Back is the Greatest!
Farmboy

Going to Sale?

Post by Farmboy »

Saw this on Sale's site thought it might be of interest to those going.
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read ... 4,14715552
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Many thanks to everybody for their recommendations. Have decided to try Eccles Rugby Club and do the 20 min walk with a bite to eat in the car park having called into Sainsbury on the way.

Key of course is the result which must be a win for Tigers.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

All worked very well yesterday.
Eccles Rugby Club has a full size white Tiger in the clubhouse so we felt at home.
Good Beer £2.50 a pint, car park £2, no traffic to bother with going in or out and 5 points for Tigers although very glad we did not park up by the ground as they hold all traffic until the pedestrians have left the stadium and walked down the access road.
A good day :smt001
Jez

Only Winners Win!