Steve Mafi?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve Mafi?

Post by bc »

Aplogies for this if has been covered elsewhere (I couldn't find anything) but, as of 17th April, what is the situation concerning Steve Mafi?
In all the recent updates on injuries and players coming back into contention there has been no mention. Has is contract been terminated?
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve Mafi?

Post by bc »

Aplogies for this if has been covered elsewhere (I couldn't find anything) but, as of 17th April, what is the situation concerning Steve Mafi?
In all the recent updates on injuries and players coming back into contention there has been no mention. Has is contract been terminated?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Steve Mafi?

Post by ourla »

He's fit and has been around the match day squad though not in it. Anything beyond that is speculation.
the stig
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by the stig »

I think its family problems with the birth of his child or something similar, like it or not rugby is only a game/job and Tigers know this better then any other club and prepared to put players welfare before results, which in its self drives teams to get results and play for each other and the club. great management if you ask me even when the pressure is on and your job could be on the line. :smt023
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The kid thing was months ago and is not the current issue.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

ourla wrote:The kid thing was months ago and is not the current issue.
Forgive me for asking, but how do you know that?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

The whole situation is a real shame; anyone remember how hard we fought to re-sign him when he had lucrative offers elsewhere? I'd love to see him get back into the matchday 23 and hope his family situation is ok.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

ourla wrote:The kid thing was months ago and is not the current issue.
If you know for sure then fair enough.

If not that's pretty ignorant of how much strain these things can put on a family - regardless of whether the birth difficulties have lasting effects he now has a young family on the other side of the world which may seriously affect his desire to stay in this part of the world.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I don't know for certain and certainly don't have any inside information or anything like that but from what I have seen I think it is simply a case of Gibson being Cockers' preferred choice at 6. Gibson has been playing extremely well (I would be surprised if he was not part of the England squad for NZ) and has really taken his chance, I also think Mafi has had a couple of niggly injuries since returning. I sincerly hope all is resolved with Steve's child, I think he is with the squad at present- he was definitely in Clermont and played for the academy in Portugal (http://www.leicestertigers.com/rugby/19217.php). At this stage of the season it seems unlikely that he'll break into the first XV, which must be very frustrating for him and the club as events have been beyond everyone's control but family must come first. I certainly hope he will still beyond the end of next season- the fight to keep was certainly worth it but with Croft, Mafi and now Gibson Cockers has 3 very good sixes to choose from.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

According to Crowson Tigers have said he has suffered a few "niggles" since being back. Maybe he isn't 100% fit and with Gibson playing so well and Matera and Waldrom on the bench they is no need to rush him back in.

Who knows.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

He's certainly been seen during the warm-ups and in the crowd watching games. As said above - Gibson is probably the break-through of the season and it'd be hard to shift him; then Matera is showing well each time he gets on the pitch, as well.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Winno11

Post by Winno11 »

He was at the game last week against Wasps as he was having pictures taken with the kids that walk round the pitch at half time.

Personally i think he might leave and go back to Oz but i hope i am wrong
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yep but Mulipola was warming up with the squad for 4/5 weeks before he played.

Croft was seen warming up against Exeter.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

My sources tell me that Steve is fit, but at the moment can't force his way into the team as all our back line of forwards are playing out of their skins at the moment.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

as all our back line of forwards are playing out of their skins at the moment.
Including Matera? We'd have been better with Pablo Picasso against Quins!