Team vs Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Team vs Quins

Post by RagingBull »

loretta wrote:Briggs looked very useful early season, expect a big game.

Hawkins is leaving, so drops down the pecking order. It's the Tigers way, no surprise.
Not really the club knew Hawkins was leaving for a bit now since they didn't offer him a contract. Prob just wants to use Briggs.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

RagingBull wrote:

Hawkins is leaving, so drops down the pecking order. It's the Tigers way, no surprise.
Not really the club knew Hawkins was leaving for a bit now since they didn't offer him a contract
And so he's had very little game time. Cockers is on record as saying that he doesn't develop other club's players, so when the need arises he chooses Briggs. The same thing happened with OW when flood annnounced his departure, as with other players in the past. The fact that Flood starts this game suggests that Cockers thinks he needs him to, perhaps to give OW a break, to rest a niggle, or because he knows more about the opposition - who knows. But the recent run of games for OW and Flood's intended departure are not a coincidence and the same logic applies to choosing Briggs over Hawkins.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Could of sworn I saw Flood grimacing after kicking a ball off the pitch last w/e so don't know how long he will last? I'm pretty sure Cockers just giving OTY a rest this match as Quins not renowned for their scrumaging so ideal chance to look at Briggs with Hawkins backing up!
We need to hit them early & disrupt their off loading game, play our own game & impose it on them if we can it should be a good night :smt023
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

GT1 wrote:Could of sworn I saw Flood grimacing after kicking a ball off the pitch last w/e so don't know how long he will last? I'm pretty sure Cockers just giving OTY a rest this match as Quins not renowned for their scrumaging so ideal chance to look at Briggs with Hawkins backing up!
We need to hit them early & disrupt their off loading game, play our own game & impose it on them if we can it should be a good night :smt023
I can't see that being the case. Against Wasps last week would have been a good time to rest TY but he wasn't which suggests to me that he isn't being rested this week either. Martin Crowson doesn't know why TY isn't playing either which is strange as he usually has the inside line on news. All these things suggest an injury to me.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Could it be the required number of rest weeks that the EPS demand or something like that?
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

They are all carrying injuries at this time of the season! After the Clermont game Scully could hardly walk & yet he's out there the next match! I bet if all the minutes players being treated on the pitch were added up Tom Youngs would easily be at the top. Week off resting/eps maybe imho :smt024
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Regardless of whom is playing, this game is the acid test. Lose this and the pressure will be on to make the playoffs. Quins played within themselves last week - not great but a win nevertheless. Tigers had IMO a Clermont hangover win against Wasps and I am sure that Cockers has that in mind + the fact that the run is not that great with Sale finding some form (but beatable) and Sarries still hitting their stride (when they are not cheating). Tigers should beat both and a win at the Stoop will set the scene.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

its nice to see that kitch is starting
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

KEEP THE FAITH![/size]
In Ccckers and the lads we trust! :smt027
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Exactly Bill, there's a long term strategy that we seem to work to each year and it looks like our annual charge for the line is well in hand. Quinns at home is a tough ask, but our team know how to win these type of games. Given a fair hand from the officials I don't see this game as too difficult, we are yet to hit our finest form yet we are in third and looking good for our 10th consquetive playoffs spot.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I think Clermont was the 'acid' test but tonight isn't far behind. Missed tackled have blighted us quite a few times this season and I expect Quins to seriously test our defence tonight. Looking forward to the trip and game immensely.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

loretta wrote:
RagingBull wrote:

Not really the club knew Hawkins was leaving for a bit now since they didn't offer him a contract
And so he's had very little game time. Cockers is on record as saying that he doesn't develop other club's players, so when the need arises he chooses Briggs. The same thing happened with OW when flood annnounced his departure, as with other players in the past. The fact that Flood starts this game suggests that Cockers thinks he needs him to, perhaps to give OW a break, to rest a niggle, or because he knows more about the opposition - who knows. But the recent run of games for OW and Flood's intended departure are not a coincidence and the same logic applies to choosing Briggs over Hawkins.
No this is simply not the case.

I could name many, many players who played consistently right up to their departure under RC, before moving to other clubs.

But if you upset him with the way you depart (Billy, Castro, Ford, Hipkiss etc) then it's probably fair to say your selection chances may be hindered for the remaining time at the club. I have no clue if Toby is in that category. I prefer to believe that OW has played very well and Toby has had a very poor season.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Back onto the game, as opposed to the rights and wrongs of Cockers' selection policies, but I am very excited about tonight.

I genuinely think that these two are the best exponents of attractive rugby on the harder grounds – very different, of course, but great to watch none the less. Quins play with creativity and high-risk offloads, we play with more structure but at a high tempo and with plenty of power. Both are great to watch in full flow, and with 2 backlines stuffed with game-breakers the battle between the 9s and 10s to ‘pull the trigger’ when the chances arise will be key. Ayerza and co must be hoping to get the upper hand in the scrum – what a test for Kyle Sinckler – and that might be crucial with Wigglesworth reffing. Hopefully we don’t hear his whistle too much.

My preview and predictions for the game are here: http://www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com